Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

daplunk

Old March 7th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I just eat into the time I should be sleeping

ToB was created while my wife was heavily pregnant so I had free-run of the house and plenty of time just waiting for my whole world to change.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old March 7th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I have backed two kickstarters for some 3d models:

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/?page_id=2567

They look nice, unfortunately I don't have the time to paint them all so I mostly just use them unpainted and try to buy the right color to print with.

daplunk... where do you find the time for all this, Tomb of Horrors looks fantastic.
I have been looking into these as well, with the idea of getting a 3d printer, but really not sure how it would work during gameplay. You want to reveal things as the players open doors and stuff, and thought it might really slow down play too much ?
Happydevil43 is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 7th, 2017, 05:33 PM
That's at least one of the appeals of 3d printing. Unattended making. Hopefully just setup the build and let it run overnight or while I'm at work. Even a few pieces a week adds up and I can paint a piece or two at a two pretty easily.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 7th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
That's one of the companies I was looking at. Have you found the quality of the models to be acceptable? Painting is something I can deal with. But I've seen some 3d printed stuff that looked pretty terrible and some that looked great.
The model quality is very good overall. The quality of the final object is of course dependent on the printer. I have a printrbot simple, which is sort of the middle price range on the low end and it does ok.
Toblakai is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 7th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
That's at least one of the appeals of 3d printing. Unattended making. Hopefully just setup the build and let it run overnight or while I'm at work. Even a few pieces a week adds up and I can paint a piece or two at a two pretty easily.
If you look at the site I linked before, one of the pieces with a wall and floor takes about 1.5-2hrs to print on my printer I can print 4 at a time, so I set it to print at night, wake up and remove them from the printer and set 4 more and go to work. so in one day that would be about a 20x40 room.
Toblakai is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
I have been looking into these as well, with the idea of getting a 3d printer, but really not sure how it would work during gameplay. You want to reveal things as the players open doors and stuff, and thought it might really slow down play too much ?
The pieces snap together nicely, so you can pre-make rooms and then lay them out as the players go. I am currently running Giantslayers and all the dungeons are just too big to really print. The props are nice too, like tables, chairs, bars, etc.
Toblakai is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 7th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I am currently running Giantslayers and all the dungeons are just too big to really print.
This is where my heads at. I have all this lovely terrain but I am running massive pre-made dungeons that would take months and months of work to replicate in 3d. This is why I setup a projector and mirror.

My game's have got more efficient since then.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 8th, 2017, 06:37 AM
WE do a mixture at our table of Old School maps (seen on walls ), VTT (projected thru table) and 3d (buildings & Terrain and Minis).
  • The first, Mainly due to our campaign being very open sand box, the players are always consulting maps of other regions at leisure.
  • The Second, Allows the use of great mapping tools such as CC3, D20Pro,DTRPG, etc.
  • The Third, Supports customized maps, or random encounters that I can populate with 3d buildings, and terrain over a texture field.
  • Collectively this supports the use of over 5k of minis I have accumulated thru the years.

Detils from Liz's Thread> "What does your game table look like" a few years back
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...e+table&page=2

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...e+table&page=7

I have experimented with various forms of "3d" for decades...Being an old school wargamer before D&D player, HO scaled battle scenes was where I cut my teeth.
Expanding that into Cardstock type Terrain is a cost effective solution and with today's printers you can do this very inexpensively and "fold" most of them up to fit into a box ( I just choose not to). And with certain Artists (such as David Graffam) they set them up on pdf so you can even vary the look.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...Graffam-Models
Lastly, We have started (well about 9 months ago) dabbling extensively with Bruce Hirsts Molds.... And as discussed the results are AMAZING, but the real cost is the time.... But when you "recruit a goblin workforce" (insert Players here hehe) A Lot can be done in a little time. They have casted over 200# of bricks, boards tiles, etc
While I would love to have a more "permanent" build using Hirst Molds, we simply don't have that kind of room, so we make all of builds "modular", so they can be repurposed for multiple scenarios. These are left from this passed W/E game session. And As you can see, it is a mixture of VTT, CardStock and Hirst, and Minis.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (105.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (111.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg image1a.JPG (112.8 KB, 68 views)

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 8th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Further Continuing Hirst Molds,
After several purchases, and emailed discussions with Bruce personally, You'll find he is EXTREMELY helpful. He even relayed us to a manufacturer to make our own molds! Now personally, IMO this is true customer service, as long as his generosity and camaraderie for the hobby is not abused. ie making copies of his molds...is just NOT COOL... but he has no issue with (if given credit) pieces and parts if for personal use.

We have utilized Smooth-on Mold MAx 14NV to make our own.
As seen below, we have made custom molds for specialty pieces, and combined some to do in mass. The one below is what we call a Super40 (bruces is #40 standard blocks) Now it doesn't "duplicate BH mold#40"... his makes 1x3 and 3/4 blocks but only 5ea 1x1 and 10ea 1x2, Since we use ALOT of 1x1 and 1x2 blocks, ours makes over 100 in a single casting. Same amount of material just less casts equals less time...
Below the First Picture is one of my players using the "Super40" mold we created. The Second are 2 of BH Molds (top Lt Green/Blue) and 2 of ours( Walkway on top of walls in previous post DkBlue molds). The Third is the SmoothOn Product, The Last are several new molds out of the SmoothOn.

Below are several links to help provide info on this "3d" approach
https://www.smooth-on.com/
http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1468.JPG (58.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1470.JPG (54.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1454.JPG (47.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1494.JPG (48.4 KB, 64 views)

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #29 Reply With Quote