Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

meek75

Old December 28th, 2015, 11:16 AM
OK, I deleted the local data and now I want to download the cloud version back to my device. How do I do that? I'm afraid if I sync now I will lose the cloud data.

EDIT--\
It worked! I used a test realm to check and resyncing after deleteing local data downloads from the cloud.

Last edited by meek75; December 28th, 2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: updated
meek75 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 28th, 2015, 01:25 PM
The clue is in the wording about deleting the local data. There is a different option to completely delete the realm from the cloud as well as your local machine.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 28th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Every time I delete and sync from cloud I hesitate and worry.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 28th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Every time I delete and sync from cloud I hesitate and worry.
I don't understand the source of this worry. RW always creates a new backup every time you launch the product, so you've got your latest version locally. And if you delete locally and then sync down, there's nothing I can think of that could muck it up. What's the concern?
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 28th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Delete is so...final. The only word more intimidating in the world of computers is format.

I've had a few sync -500 or whatever issues in the past which makes me a little gunshy as they've resulted in a lot of downtime. I've spent more hours than I want to admit entering material and without a way to print it or export it really makes me nervous. I have to put my faith in LWD's hands which quite honestly is hard to do with such a large investment of effort. The recent updating for html integration was quite literally nerve wracking and anxiety inducing.

I've also got some items in my database that are instant crashes if I try to delete them which is concerning. I think it's due to deleted images that had pins attached. Someday when I'm not actively entering stuff every day or two I'll need to report it, send my database in and wait patiently for a fix. It needs to get sorted out eventually but I keep feeling there are more important things than my issues that will benefit a lot more people for the devs to be focused on.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old December 29th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I don't understand the source of this worry. RW always creates a new backup every time you launch the product, so you've got your latest version locally. And if you delete locally and then sync down, there's nothing I can think of that could muck it up. What's the concern?
My worry was that when I synced I would accidentally sync the deleted local copy to the cloud and end up with two empty databases. The wording of the sync dialog is a little unclear (or maybe too brief - IMHO). How does RW know if I want to upload my local info or download the cloud data? I have no knowledge of how a DB works, so I'm sure it makes perfect sense, but when that much data is in question I get nervous. I forgot about the backup being made (thank god for that feature BTW), but I would still rather not have to use it. Adding a sentence or two to either the sync dialog box that pops up or to the manage realm data screen would help those of us that are paranoid to feel better I don't often delete local data so it is rarely an issue. In this case I deleted a topic that I wanted back. I had not synced yet so I deleted the local and download the cloud version.
meek75 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old December 30th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I have questions about this also.

For instance, I have two computers. Let's say the cloud and both computers' local copies of a realm are the same to start.

Then, let's say I (working offline) make (different) changes to that realm on both computers. Computer 1: Add a bunch of data. Computer 2: Delete a bunch of stuff.

Now, on Computer 2, I login and sync. Now the cloud and the local copy on that computer presumably look the same. (Ie, less data than before)

But what happens if I now login from Computer 1 and sync? Both its local copy and the cloud copy are different than the last time it synced. Does it overwrite the cloud (adding in all its extra data), or does it get overwritten by the cloud (deleting a bunch of data from it)?

Dumb thing to do, but what would happen in that case?
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 30th, 2015, 09:18 PM
When you go to sync from Computer 1 (after syncing up the deletions from Computer 2) you would be prompted to pick which you want: the current cloud data or your current local data.

The dialog looks like this:
Sync Conflicts.png

(The green arrows and associated text are buttons with "Are you sure?" dialogs.)

If you're working on a single realm on multiple devices, you have to keep things updated as the syncing mechanism isn't very smart. If something does happen, though, don't forget that Realm Works makes backups of your local database in your (My) Documents folder.

Last edited by Parody; December 30th, 2015 at 10:06 PM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:30 PM
I find the dialog Parody showed easy to understand, yet I also hesitate before pressing a button - I always double check to see if I am indeed pressing the right button :-)

Besides, I always make a manual backup to my server before updating RW and I make manual backups to my server at regular intervals. You know, belt and suspenders...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:35 PM
Ah yes, that makes sense.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #10 Reply With Quote