Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MagicSN

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Hello!

As I found out they changed the armour rules big time. All armour, not just Mastercraft armour, gets a Mastercraft bonus INCLUDED starting certain levels (for example base armour of plate armour +1 is 8, but of plate armour +2 is 9, magic bonus still added to this).

I tried working on a script. But seems I do it wrong, as the script gives an error:

var isbonus as number
isbonus = 0
foreach pick in hero from Armor where "ArmorType.arPlateArm"
if (eachpick.field[arAC].value==10) then
if (eachpick.tagis[Equipped.Equipped] <> 0) then
#traitmodify[defAC,trtItem,1,""]
isbonus = 1
endif
endif
nexteach

My idea was: "If this is a plate armor with a bonus of 10 this means it is a plate armor +2 -> add 1, after the table from Heroes of the Forgotten Lands, of course this script would include a BIIIIIG
if ... else part.

Any idea, what is wrong in

if (eachpick.field[arAC].value==10) then

?

Steffen
MagicSN is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Forget my question. I did by mistake use == like in C++. Bugfix in works ;-)

EDIT: Bugfix now available at the usual spot. This bugfix might cause trouble with some feats concerning armour and stuff. I have a real bugfixed based on modifying one of the .dat files (sadly not possible any other way), currently asking the Hero Lab guys if I am allowed to post my modified .dat file.

MagicSN

Last edited by MagicSN; February 9th, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
MagicSN is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I always read this as being "every armour over level X is masterwork", so you're automatically getting masterworked armour after - what is it, level 6? - and you have to pick the specific masterwork you want where there are multiples for a level range/armour category.

In Hero Lab terms, you'd just need to choose the correct masterwork in the "Choose Armour" dialogue. I guess technically it should prevent you from choosing the non-MW version of your armour after you hit MW levels, but I don't know if that that's worth being bothered by. Assuming masterwork bonuses are applied properly in Hero Lab, of course.

Fox Lee, The Art Gremblin
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
The Square Fireball - Where it's 4th Edition Forever
Skies of Escarnum - Inclusive anime-flavoured 4e campaign world
HeroLab 4e patch contributor

Last edited by Fox Lee; February 15th, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Fox Lee is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old February 16th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
I always read this as being "every armour over level X is masterwork", so you're automatically getting masterworked armour after - what is it, level 6? - and you have to pick the specific masterwork you want where there are multiples for a level range/armour category.

In Hero Lab terms, you'd just need to choose the correct masterwork in the "Choose Armour" dialogue. I guess technically it should prevent you from choosing the non-MW version of your armour after you hit MW levels, but I don't know if that that's worth being bothered by. Assuming masterwork bonuses are applied properly in Hero Lab, of course.
My method of just fixing the calculation in the .dat file has the advantage though that you do not have to find out "which is the correct masterwork armor at that level" but just can choose the normal armor. All the different armor type names (Layered, Rimfire,...) are only confusing.

But I checked now, you are right, it seems the masterwork boni are calculated correctly.

Steffen
MagicSN is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Oh I see, so you were basically automating the process of applying a masterwork bonus for that level? That makes sense. Though I did think there were multiple choices for some level range/armour category combinations, meaning there's no "normal" choice. I guess you could just treat the PHB choice as the default though - better than missing out on your MW bonus altogether.

The names certainly are confusing, it's a headache to remember what's what. But this is an area of the rules that they explained poorly all along - my group only noticed it because the DDI builder seemed to be giving us odd numbers.

Last edited by Fox Lee; February 16th, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Really dumb typo
Fox Lee is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
Oh I see, so you were basically automating the process of applying a masterwork bonus for that level? That makes sense. Though I did think there were multiple choices for some level range/armour category combinations, meaning there's no "normal" choice. I guess you could just treat the PHB choice as the default though - better than missing out on your MW bonus altogether.

The names certainly are confusing, it's a headache to remember what's what. But this is an area of the rules that they explained poorly all along - my group only noticed it because the DDI builder seemed to be giving us odd numbers.
Well, my point more or less was that it is a general rule now to include the MW bonus, so the default behaviour of Hero Lab just includes wrong number data. So I fixed it (see Heroes of the Fallen Lands where this new rule is introduced). And yes, I just automated it to include the bonus (I was not using the MW bonus, though, I was using the bonus from Hero'es of the fallen Lands page 345, no idea if the bonus is identic with the Masterwork bonus, but I guess it probably is). The tables detail the bonus for the new rule.

MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Double-checked my HotFL, and I see how you mean - I didn't realise that they had folded it into one table like that. Sorry for not getting it >3>;

Anyway, it's certainly ambiguous, but I think its is supposed to be an alternative to the pre-essentials MW choices (and also a default replacement, since Essentials tried to simplify things). It seems clear that it's not separate from/stacking with a chosen MW bonus, since the text explaining it uses the same fancy names "feyweave", "forgemail" etc. as are given to the original MW armour in the PHB. (Forgive me if I'm just repeating stuff you already know - I'm mostly talking myself through this.)

Anyway, just making sure that I understand your patch - this has no effect on magic armour if the user does choose a pre-eseentials-style MW bonus, correct? It just serves as a default, if you pick the "ordinary" armour and enchant it to the appropriate level? In which case it would be perfectly appropriate, and I was just making things annoying and complicated by sticking my nose in ^^; Sorry about that!

Sorry for the belated reply - actually the thread was brought to my attention again because I used your code to reference something else I was trying to get working, a script that replaces the key attribute for certain powers based on source and current key attribute (which totally works, so THANKS! It was exactly what I needed to see ^^).

Last edited by Fox Lee; March 22nd, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Fox Lee is offline   #7 Reply With Quote