Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Silveras

Old May 26th, 2019, 02:00 PM
When editing/creating a weapon, it is possible to assign a "Custom Name" that is shown in preference to the dry "+1 shocking longsword" (or whatever). This would be useful on all items for the GM to be able to mask unidentified items behind a name like "sword found in goblin cave" or "potion found in desk".

Custom Gear and such can somewhat handle this for generic items, but for magic items some way of masking them until identified would be nice.
Silveras is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:02 PM
If you own the portfolio, and are printing a character sheet for the player each session (as I do), this is easy.
You can fill in whatever you like in the Custom Item Name box, and {I} and {b} tags work there.
I've given players unidentified swords just like that.

If the player owns the portfolio, it makes it a little harder to resist tinkering.
You could create a custom weapon, give it few details aside from weapon type maybe, and a custom name that it has not been identified yet.

The best I can see would be "Custom Magic Item" from ShadowChemosh's Equipment, and name it "Unidentified Ring".
But in either case, you then need notes for what it really is.

Not really sure the best implementation, as a feature.
Adjustment?
Editor display box line?
Ualaa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:46 PM
In the use case I am talking, ownership is mixed. Some players use HeroLab, some don't. I may print a PDF for them occasionally, but I still need a way to track what is not identified vs what is over long periods (in our current Rise of the Runelords game, exploring one area has taken four 4-hour sessions to play out 1-1/2 hours of in-game time), and they're not done yet. It has been the same in-game day for six sessions now

For the sword found in today's session, I used the "Custom Name" box on the sword. HeroLab still knows what it is ("+1 longsword") behind that, but I can display it as the PC referred to it ("Red Shard Sword") with no trouble.

What I am seeking is the same functionality for other items. The most common use will likely be for "unidentified" items.. but if they have six "unidentified potion" items of different types from four different sources... well, I think I need a little more to keep track of them properly.

I can do so in another tool... but I'd like to have them properly in the portfolio for the characters.

I don't think anything in the editor is appropriate... this is for in-play use after the item is obtained but before it is identified.

Now that you mention it, there are adjustments in the ShadowChemosh's Adjustments to do this. Perhaps this should be considered for the core of HLO's Pathfinder functionality.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote