Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

bishop618

Old December 21st, 2016, 08:07 PM
This might be a stupid or constant question, but can someone give me a simple person to person answer to where all the content from the official D&D books are? Thanks
bishop618 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 21st, 2016, 11:14 PM
What led you to think that Realm Works includes all the official D&D books? It does NOT contain them. So I'm keenly interested to know where you got that impression.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
LeeSmith

Old December 22nd, 2016, 06:32 PM
RW is EMPTY when you 1st get it, YOU need to create the content you want in your version of RW. That includes Manuals, Campaigns or even a module....
LeeSmith is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:49 PM
Once the content market is fully realized, some of those concerns might be alleviated. However, that means buying content or maybe hoping for cheap content provided by other players (if that is going to be allowed).

Of course some content will probably require a license from the IP holder, if that can be obtained.
Viking2054 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old December 28th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Pollution is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 28th, 2016, 07:15 PM
The PFRD is run by Paizo so it doesn't run into any IP issues.

The third party one, D20PFSRD, does run into IP issues. It routinely renames things for instance.

WotC has a definite interest in controlling the production and distribution of their IP and may take a very dim view of anyone doing so without a license.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 28th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The third party one, D20PFSRD, does run into IP issues. It routinely renames things for instance.
This only happens because d20Pfsrd is now a 3PP publisher and is selling off the website. This means they have to follow the OGL not the Paizo CUP. If you look at something like Archives of Nethys you see it has everything and can even use IP names like Hellknight or names of gods.

If you are 100% free than you can follow Pathfinder CUP instead of OGL giving you allot more leeway in sharing there content. Heck check out the Pathfinderwiki site for all the world information for Golarion.

Meaning pretty much everything from Paizo except Modules/Adventures could go into RW and be shared for free.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 29th, 2016, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Meaning pretty much everything from Paizo except Modules/Adventures could go into RW and be shared for free.
Are you sure about the sharing bit still conforming to the CUP?

I don't know if sharing something with RW counts as publishing.
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 29th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I strongly doubt this. If you use trademarked IP even if you give it away you are in a very bad legal situation. Until/unless a judge determines that RW is not publishing or distributing in the legal senses, which seems extremely unlikely to me, trademark holders, to conform to the letter of the law, must pursue anyone who uses their trademarked IP without license or risk losing the right to control said IP.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 29th, 2016, 07:14 AM
You guys keeping thinking in terms of OGL not Paizo CUP (Community Use Policy). My HL community stuff already runs under CUP allowing me to use IP names of NPCs or Gods or Classes. Long before LW did the adventure paths my community stuff was already providing all the Monsters and NPCs including IP names of said Monster/NPCs. I have been giving this stuff away for years already and Paizo knows it. The only thing I can't share under CUP is the art work which is why I am very careful to remove all images from the .por files.

Again I point to the existing and legal sites already running under CUP (Archives of Nethys, Pathfinderwiki) already giving away 99% of all Paizo material. The medium that is being used is not important to Paizo. Giving the info in RW or a Website is just as fine as downloadable word documents.

Publishing to Paizo means to sell the material which is not allowed under CUP. I must give away the material for 100% free. In addition I must give the CUP legal information which is easy to do on the home page of a realm.

Now just because this "can" be done does not mean it will get done. The last part is that Modules/Adventures are more useful than information I can pull in from the Pathfinderwiki. And adventures/modules are where Paizo makes money and those can not be put into RW and shared under CUP. That I guarantee you will bring down Paizo's lawyers very quickly. This is where the fact that LW has a license with Paizo will allow them to sell Adventure Paths and Modules and maybe even PFS Scenarios. All things many want but can't be shared under CUP.

In the end Paizo is not WotC and has a very different business model. They have learned that giving away the rules and world information does not lose them money. In fact it makes them money.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote