Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mlenehan1

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'm currently working on a Paladin of Sarenrae that wants to dual wield two scimitars. in 3.5 there was a feat called Oversized Two weapon fighting that let a character wield a one handed weapon in his off hand as if it were a light weapon.
So how do I recreate that feat for Pathfinder?

p.s. i'm a complete idiot when it comes to using the tab editor, so any detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by mlenehan1; June 15th, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
mlenehan1 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I have the advantage of being very familiar with the files, so I remember something you can copy that will make this a lot easier to code.

The Maftet race from Pathfinder #15 has an ability called "Paired Weapons" that lets it consider an off-hand scimitar as a light weapon (and gain full STR to damage, but you don't want that part).

Open the editor, create a new file (or open the one you're already working on). Now, the maftet's ability is a racial special, so go to the "Racial Special" tab in the editor. At the bottom left, press the "New (Copy)" button, and in that list, find "Paired Weapons".

Now for the feat. Go to the "Feat" tab in the editor, and create a new feat. Set up the name, description, summary, and Unique Id, and I'll bet this is a fighter bonus feat, so in the options, find the "Feat Category" button, and select "Combat".

Alright, now for the script.

Switch back to the Racial Special tab, and take a look at the paired weapons ability. You'll see that the "Eval Script" button on the top right is highlighted, and says that it has 2 Eval Scripts - press that button. Unfortunately, they're not commented, but it's the first script that handles the light weapon settings. Here's that script:

Code:

foreach pick in hero where "IsWeapon.wScimitar & fieldval:wIs2nd = 1 &!fieldval:gIsEquip = 1"
   perform each.delete[wClass.?]
   perform each.assign[wClass.Light]
nexteach
Now, take a look at the timing information that's listed at the top of this script. It's using a phase of "Pre-Levels (User)" and a priority of "500" - remember or write those down - you'll want to use the same timing on your feat.

Make a copy of the script here. Now, switch back to the feat. Press the Eval Script button on the feat, "click to add another eval script", and paste your copied script here. Now set the timing to Pre-Levels (User)/500.

Okay, first, I'll modify that script a little bit to bring it up to the modern coding style:

Code:

foreach pick in hero from BaseWep where "IsWeapon.wScimitar & fieldval:wIs2nd = 1 & !fieldval:gIsEquip = 1"
   perform eachpick.delete[wClass.?]
   perform eachpick.assign[wClass.Light]
nexteach
(There have been a few additions to what's available in the Hero Lab scripting language since that ability was originally added, so this version is a better way to do things).

Let me explain what that code's doing.

foreach is used to search through all the things in a category, and do the same thing to each one.

"IsWeapon.wScimitar & fieldval:wIs2nd = 1 & !fieldval:gIsEquip = 1"

says:

Are we a scimitar?

&

Are we equipped in the 2nd hand?

&

Are we NOT equipped in the main hand

(a 2-handed weapon, for example a Greataxe, is equipped in both the main and off-hands, so the script doesn't want to find those, just the weapons that are only in the off-hand).

So, all that needs to be done is to remove the scimitar requirement:

Code:

foreach pick in hero from BaseWep where "fieldval:wIs2nd = 1 & !fieldval:gIsEquip = 1"
   perform eachpick.delete[wClass.?]
   perform eachpick.assign[wClass.Light]
nexteach
Press "OK" to leave the Eval Scripts section, save your new feat, and go to the Racial Specials tab. Select the copied ability, and delete it (otherwise you'll get some errors).

Go back to the Feats tab, and select your new feat. Now press the "Test Now!" button at the top-left of the screen. Your feat will now be available for selection.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
mlenehan1

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, but now for another dumb question.
How do I add the pre-requisites for this feat?
Strength 13
Two-weapon Fighting
mlenehan1 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Look up existing feats that have those prereqs, and see how they do it.

In the editor, on the feats tab, press the "New (Copy)" button on the bottom left, and select Power Attack from that list.

Do the same again, and select Improved Two-Weapon Fighting as well.

On each of those copies, you'll see that the Expr-reqs button on the top right is highlighted. Press it, and on Power Attack, find the one labeled "Strength 13 required." and on Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, the one labeled "Two-Weapon Fighting required." Copy everything that's there to a new Expr-Req on your feat.

(don't forget to delete those copies before you save the file)
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
RayOMan67

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks Mathias!

I was looking to do the same thing by converting a D&D 4E Ranger Class Feature into a Pathfinder Feat.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by RayOMan67; August 6th, 2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: removed unecessary quote.
RayOMan67 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote