Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 5th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Once RW is fully operational on the web, then everything goes directly through the server and there is no such thing as syncing for web-based users. So everything would fundamentally become "live sync" at that point.

Except for those still using the desktop client, which would be an entirely different animal.
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
morval

Old August 5th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Live sync is on the agenda. But I wouldn't guesstimate it'll be before 2018. Shifting from the current system to a live update seems like it would require a significant change to the underlying engine to achieve.
I was just watching a spotlight video from Nov 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THuH_LNMx80

And at 1:24:00 they specifically say the web version will be live sync. GM changes something and the players see the change.

Has this changed?
morval is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 6th, 2016, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morval View Post
I was just watching a spotlight video from Nov 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THuH_LNMx80

And at 1:24:00 they specifically say the web version will be live sync. GM changes something and the players see the change.

Has this changed?
There are several pieces to this. If you, the GM, are using the web version to run the session and the players are using the web version to view things, it is all "live sync" (effectively, everything is happening on same server so it is all updated right away without any syncing).

If you, the GM, use the desktop client, then syncing would need to happen to get the changes to the server for players to see. If the players are using the desktop client, they would need to sync to see changes.
davidp is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 6th, 2016, 08:05 AM
It's been almost a year since web functionality was announced. And because Rob hates it when we jump to conclusions...you notice davidp didn't give a date for when it will actually be live for us to use.
AEIOU is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
morval

Old August 6th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
There are several pieces to this. If you, the GM, are using the web version to run the session and the players are using the web version to view things, it is all "live sync" (effectively, everything is happening on same server so it is all updated right away without any syncing).

If you, the GM, use the desktop client, then syncing would need to happen to get the changes to the server for players to see. If the players are using the desktop client, they would need to sync to see changes.
Thanks, the video mentioned all that. I'm just happy there will be a way to live sync GM and players. I was never one that wanted or needed offline use. I like the idea of the cloud usage so was disappointing when RW came out and I couldn't have the players synced with the GM at the table, but I realize I'm in the minority.

Its been a while and might be longer, as long as its on the horizon somewhere. The web version looked really nice also.
morval is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
morval

Old August 6th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Once RW is fully operational on the web, then everything goes directly through the server and there is no such thing as syncing for web-based users. So everything would fundamentally become "live sync" at that point.

Except for those still using the desktop client, which would be an entirely different animal.
The web version looked great in the spotlight video I watched. Will be nice for it to work on most devices as well, but live sync for GM and player is what really gets me going!
morval is offline   #16 Reply With Quote