Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Admittedly those of us on the Savage Worlds forum here are fewer than the folks on, say, the Pathfinder group, but we're starting to get a hang of using the editor to do all kinds of useful things for Savage Worlds settings. Still, using the Editor takes some investment to really work with it and figure out how to do everything in.

There is one area, however, that most users of Hero Lab know really, really well. Making characters!

So here is my appeal to the other Savage Hero Lab folk out there. Anyone care to volunteer to start working on NPC portfolios for any of the various Savage Settings that are now available? I'm not necessarily talking about creatures, since only a few of the settings have all of those directly available in them anyway, but I for one would really appreciate it if anyone was willing to start knocking out portfolios from any of those "Humans" sections in any of the settings.

Being just a fan creator myself I can't offer you anything for it beyond a shout out here on the forum in the update notes, but you'd have my undying gratitude for helping out!

That being said, we can probably pass along NPCs for Deadlands: Reloaded to CapedCrusader (although I'd be happy to proof them for him if anyone wanted to send some to me), I can take any for Deadlands Noir, Hell On Earth Reloaded, 50 Fathoms, Pirates of the Spanish Main and Tour of Darkness. (And maybe in the near future Weird War II, Evernight and Necessary Evil as well!)

I'm not sure who does Solomon Kane and Rippers but I can find out if anyone wanted to maybe make some of the stock NPCs from those as well.

So, if you are willing to volunteer I'd love to hear from you. Maybe just post in this thread with what you might like to start working on so there is no duplication of effort. And doing this is a really good way to bang on the data files themselves so you might find, in my files at least, something I missed. If you do, please let me know so I can fix it right up!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; April 5th, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
zarlor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Well, I'm planning on doing all of the NPCs for the Achtung! Cthulhu setting as it will help me test that my data files work properly

I don't currently have any of the other settings to work through though, sorry!

Do we need somewhere central to store the files, or are you looking to have them added/distributed to the HL packages?

Last edited by Endtransmission; April 9th, 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Endtransmission is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:34 AM
I don't think it would be appropriate for us to store them centrally since the licensing agreements (at least the ones directly with Pinnacle) are only for having them available directly in the data files that Lone Wolf is making available. Now if you have some agreement with producers of Achtung! Cthulhu to do something different, then of course that's a different story. I was just hoping that since ithas been volunteer work that has made the Pinnacle/GWG data files available freely through Lone Wolf's update mechanism that it might be worth making a call out for volunteers on doing the NPCs (since that part isn't as difficult to work on doing as doing the data files can be.)

No luck yet, but that's OK. I'll get around to it once I get a chance (at least for the data files I've done and then maybe after that I can try to do some to make available to the other data file authors if they care to add it to their files.)

BTW, if you wanted to make your file available through the Lone Wolf update mechanism you might check with jbearwillis on the process he has been using for High Space. I think it mainly entails getting permission from the producers of the setting and then having them contact Lone Wolf to work out the licensing details, but jbear is probably more familiar with the process than I am. (I did files for a license agreement they apparently already had in place.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 9th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Modiphius are in talks to Lone Wolf already (apparently) for the distribution stuff of the A!C files. I'm not sure if my files will become the final ones, but it's an interesting experience learning it all and they are happy for me to let people use the ones based on the current adventures until the rest of the books are decided upon; I just need to let them know when it's ready

As for the NPCs, for the official ones, absolutely. Once I've finished with the current A!C books I'm happy to pick up one or two of the other settings to give you a hand with the NPCs as it will likely spark ideas for my games anyway.
Endtransmission is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Sweet! I've almost got the Noir ones done so I'll be updating that file this week.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Did I see somewhere that creatures are also missing from a lot of the data files?
Endtransmission is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Yes, but creatures are usually added in the Editor. I know that I have all of the creatures added to Noir and Hell on Earth but that only a few of the creatures are in Deadlands Reloaded (that's not one of my files, though, although I have sent in some updates for it.) The other files I've done have few or no creatures in them yet, but it was something I was planning to get to eventually.

My original intent was to get data files out for all of the Pinnacle settings when they were at a point to be useful for creating characters, so for the player side rather than the GM side. So what I've been doing lately is going back to do some of that and my main focus lately has been on Deadlands Noir. At any rate, with creatures being something done from within the Editor, and with some of the "gotchas" to work with regarding some of their special abilities, I was mainly just looking to see if folks might be interested in working on simply portfolios since that's just like making a character (mostly).

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Ok, sounds like a plan.
Endtransmission is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:42 AM
What happens a lot of the time is that data file authors tend to focus on the character building aspects and skip the Creatures. Also, for those game companies that get nervous about their IP being out there for free, not including the creatures give them a little more breathing space.
CapedCrusader is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 15th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
What happens a lot of the time is that data file authors tend to focus on the character building aspects and skip the Creatures. Also, for those game companies that get nervous about their IP being out there for free, not including the creatures give them a little more breathing space.
Thankfully Pinnacle isn't one of those companies. And yet another reason I love and support the heck out of them, too!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote