Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

Spellscape

Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:44 AM
I'd like to consider purchase of Army Builder but would like to know how you see for example installing it on Apple MAC using for example Bootcamp (VISTA native mode) and than using this Partition in Virtualization software like VM Fusion or Parallels Desktop.
Both can use Bootcamp partition but require VISTA activation for it after installing VM drivers. So as I understand your product may identify work in Vista native mode (bootcamp) and VM mode (VM software) as different PCs but in real world this is same MAC/PC.
I'd like to install it also on my WIN XP PC (as 2nd license) so here is problem - I can't understand how many activations I'll need.
Spellscape is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
The demo machines we use at conventions are Macs running parallels. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the details of how that's set up to give a more detailed answer.

Each purchase of Armybuilder is licensed for two computers in the same household, so, once you get your first computer up and running, go to the license menu, and select "Obtain Secondary License" - it will email you the license number to use on your second computer.

You may also want to try downloading AB from the website and installing it on your system - the demo mode is the full program with a few limitations on the number of units you can add, and not being able to print or save. That way, you'd be able to figure out if AB functions in the environment you want before you purchase it.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Spellscape

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
I've tried it so question only in licensing

Do you use Parallels with Bootcamp? If yes - AB needs reactivation after/each time you use Parallels and Bootcamp (in any sequence)?
In other words how many activations you used (not counting Windows reinstalling)?

Last edited by Spellscape; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
Spellscape is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Using Parallels, you will install Windows into a VM. Then you'll install AB within the Windows VM. Once that's done, you activate AB once and then it work smoothly until you upgrade Windows within the VM. So only one activation is needed.

With Bootcamp, you install Windows in a second partition. After that, the process is that same. So you only have a singe activation of AB.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Spellscape

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:53 AM
yes but with install bootcamp and than VM (using Bootcamp) - I even activated Vista 2 times
Spellscape is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Each installation of Windows is distinct. Therefore, each installation of AB under a different Windows install will also be distinct. So you should choose *one* method for running AB on your Mac and stick with it. Either use Parallels *or* use Bootcamp. If you use both on the same computer, AB will likely think it's being used on two separate computers, since it is being used in two separate Windows contexts. So pick one method.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Spellscape

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I've bought AB already :-)
It's working fine in Bootcamp and VMfusion - only one activation so problem is solved
Spellscape is offline   #7 Reply With Quote