Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

B57123m

Old January 24th, 2016, 05:46 AM
I would like to see a feature where you can input the default monetary system for your world.

Example:
1 penny = 1 sizzle
1 nickel = 1 fluffle
1 dime = 1 kerbizzle

What would be really cool is if shop keeper tables were able to have a designated price colomn that could convert between your pre set monetary differences.

Ed's Explosive
Mayonnaise - Food - 10 gp
Dynamite - Food - 50gp

And then with a toggle, it could show that 10gp is also 20sp and 50 is 25sp. Something along those lines would be an interesting feature.
B57123m is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 24th, 2016, 06:51 AM
That would be enormously complex to implement.

Why? Because like Calendars, it would have to be sophisticated enough to handle *anything*. Implementing only one game system's conversions would break RealmWorks' feature of being usable for any game system... so this would need to be a system in which the user defines each type of coin in reference to some common base "monetary unit".

Even in your example, you're doing two different conversions with the same types of coins, one doubling and the other halving (10 to 20, 50 to 25).

The phrase "two-bit" for something cheap originates from 25 cents being "2 bits", making 1 bit 1/8 of a dollar, or 12.5 cents. At one point in history, 10 "Spanish mills" was worth 1 cent. Those are just the variations that I know of in the US monetary system.

I think something like this is better handled in a game-system-specific tool, like HeroLab. A general currency handling system in RealmWorks would be of use to a few, but probably not to most (unlike Calendars). as tracking resources is more of a character thing than a campaign world thing.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
B57123m

Old January 24th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Thank you Silveras,

I understand it would be difficult. With this being the Feature Request forum I thought it might be a useful feature down the road. If I am the only one who would find this helpful, I feel like at least putting it out there isn't a bad thing.

I, like many, use Realm Works to world build and I happen to use a different form of currency in my world. In the long run, there are many, many features that I would rather see. I have given my +1 to those but could not find a page for custom currency.

That is the purpose of that post. I don't expect to to get done soon or ever but I was at least letting them know there is a want for such a feature.

"A general currency handling system in RealmWorks would be of use to a few, but probably not to most (unlike Calendars)."

I 100% agree with this and maybe one day Realm Works will be able to do all the things the "most" want and can then focus on the niche features of the "few".
B57123m is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 24th, 2016, 10:36 AM
This could make for an interesting html or other type of add-on for converting currencies and maybe adding in exchange rates. I'd like to see something like this implemented in the same way that sound is by SyrinScape -- as an integration, rather than a core element.

Thinking a bit further though, are there any other things that could benefit from an arbitrary conversion system? How could this idea be expanded beyond just currency?
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old January 24th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Thinking a bit further though, are there any other things that could benefit from an arbitrary conversion system? How could this idea be expanded beyond just currency?
I also think that this should be a low-priority item. I like the idea of being able to code the conversion as an external utility.

Given that, I would think that any form of measurement could benefit from this type of arbitrary conversion mechanism:
- Distance: How many rods in a furlong?
- Time: How many jiffies in a dog year?
- Weight: How many pennyweights in a Troy ounce?

(Those are - or were - real units of measurement. In an RPG, of course, the list of possibilities is endless.)
ibecker is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Agyess

Old January 24th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
That would be enormously complex to implement.

Why? Because like Calendars, it would have to be sophisticated enough to handle *anything*. Implementing only one game system's conversions would break RealmWorks' feature of being usable for any game system... so this would need to be a system in which the user defines each type of coin in reference to some common base "monetary unit".
I would think however that a good deal of the work for the calendar would translate directly
Agyess is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 24th, 2016, 06:59 PM
The calendar system is important since so much gets hung from the date.

Money is much less important and can be much more complicated. To start with every calendar is likely to agree on some unit , be it the second or the day, monetary systems this is not true. Second monetary systems have historically been very complicated just look at the British system before it was rationalized.
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 25th, 2016, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Second monetary systems have historically been very complicated just look at the British system before it was rationalized.
Hey, don't knock our old system!

12 pennies to the shilling (since 12 is the maximum you can count up to on one hand).
20 shillings to the pound.
21 shillings to the guinea.

:-)
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old January 25th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The calendar system is important since so much gets hung from the date.
No it isn't. It's only middle of the pack in the priority list. The mob has spoken.

Don't agitate. Be quiet and take the priorities you are told.
MaxSupernova is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 25th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I think the more difficult factor for fantasy games is that every free city, every kingdom, every empire, heck every jurisdiction in the past and present could have or may have had different currencies. Plus there's the bartering system.... How many potatoes is a gallon of milk worth as the currency price may not equal the barter price? Talk about a really interesting challenge!
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote