Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

KefkaZ

Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:38 AM
So I'm revisiting my use of Realm Works after taking some time off to play as opposed to GM, and realized that while I had put stuff in the Story and World Almanac, I haven't used the Mechanics Reference tab all that much. I DM Pathfinder (currently the beginning of book 2 of Reign of Winter) and I found myself just linking to the PRD for things like spells.

So my question is this: How are people utilizing the mechanics reference and making it useful for them?

(I have a feeling that once the market goes up and I can buy the PRD in Realm Works, that's going to be extremely useful.)
KefkaZ is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:01 AM
I'm putting the useful bits of the PRD into the Mechanics Reference, as I won't have internet access where I GM.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:28 AM
I am only inputting specific campaign rules in the mechanics section. So I am running Skull and Shackles which is a pirate campaign. I have our ship combat rules, sailing information, ship types, weather effects, and other Unique Rules I need for this campaign. I also have any other "special" houserules for this campaign.

Everything else like normal spells and monsters or diseases are referenced from d20pfsrd. I see no reason to enter the information twice when its already in a giant wiki database.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:34 AM
I have all of our house rules in the reference section. This will be revealed on campaign start. I have my campaign character reference information for the creation of characters, how to roll abilties etc. Since much of this is optional, or based on choices, having it here keeps it in one place.

Since I am building a custom world, anything that is non-standard, or requires clarification is contained here.

I also have environmental rules in the reference section, my campaign will be affected by environmental factors more than my players are used too, so I complied all the rules here for quick reference.

I also compiled item damage rules, since they are spread all over the CRB. I will also have every trap in my story here, linked to the it in game, so players will be able to see what they have encountered and learned about.

I compiled all the random magic item tables here,not all of them, but the initial stuff. mainly because my campaign world has large player races, as well as small and medium it seemed prudent to add that random table to weapons and armor, so based entirely on that break down, I have updated all random tables that require it, a size roll.

I will likely add more, but thats it for now.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:35 AM
For my Paranoia XP/25th Anniversary realm, I've put the Mutant Powers, Skills, and some equipment in the Mechanics. Mostly I wanted a unified list of the Powers, complete with the additions from some of the extra books. It's nice to have everything in one place and linkable.

I put in the Weapons and some other equipment, but I'm not sure I'm going to continue as so far I haven't gotten good use out of those. Still, one place would be nice.

As always, I'm using custom Categories for everything. For example, I added a one-line description of Mutant Powers, Secret Societies, and Service Groups on the character sheets to give folks an idea of what they do. (I almost put the Service Groups/Firms and Secret Societies in as Mechanics, which makes sense for how I use them in Paranoia.) Other custom items include sources (book and page) for things that came from the printed materials, security clearance for items that have them, entries for players and GMs, and others.

For mechanics from systems like Pathfinder that are going to be available on the Content Market (one way or the other), holding off is a good choice. Similarly, you mention linking to the PRD; that's a luxury that most systems don't have. (There's also the Internet access requirement.)

Last edited by Parody; March 2nd, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
Everyone in my group owns every PDF of any source they use in game, so we do not use the PFSRD as it is not the offical source of rules. Currently we do not use any other 3rd party sources, which makes it better to stick with PDFs, and you do not need an internet connection.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:56 AM
I have been using it for anything that I as a GM will reference that is meta-game, not in-universe.

Character building, notes on combat, rules for ship movement, some notes on GMing styles.

Link to screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ZonxJ2V.gif

There are a few things that could be considered "in-universe" like the lists of random names, but I just keep all of my "GM tools" type things together.

Last edited by MaxSupernova; March 2nd, 2015 at 12:00 PM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
wildfire142

Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
Have put in most of the shadowrun 5th edition corer use book and bits of various other rule books so I can cross link and reference stuff like powers, spells, cyber ware, etc quickly.
wildfire142 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KefkaZ View Post
So I'm revisiting my use of Realm Works after taking some time off to play as opposed to GM, and realized that while I had put stuff in the Story and World Almanac, I haven't used the Mechanics Reference tab all that much. I DM Pathfinder (currently the beginning of book 2 of Reign of Winter) and I found myself just linking to the PRD for things like spells.

So my question is this: How are people utilizing the mechanics reference and making it useful for them?
Well, In my case, I utilize Mech Ref for a multitude of non-related in-campaign stuff that is not "in game" so to speak. Some supports Player Knowledge, others support character as to detailing the "environment they live in".

So I have reverences to Time lines (since the calendar is DOA currently,) Links to Players (since there is no Character reveal currently), many links to my Random Generators (such as City and Dungeon and Coat of Arms) (See Inkwell link at bottom)

I also use it for table specific (ie homebrew) stuff like rule clarifications, and what we call Song of the Bards (where I repurpose actual song lyrics into campaign hints of past present or future events)
Mine looks something like this, and is ever growing....

As you can see I have ALOT piled in it.. (and I hid most)

But I am certain this is one of many ways to approach it....

A useful set of tools I link to can be found
here>Inkwell Link>http://inkwellideas.com/

*Edit* to reduce Picture Size
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mech TAB Combined.JPG (165.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; March 2nd, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:00 PM
DLG, you might want to make those pictures smaller. (They're breaking the forum layout.)

Edit: Fixed, thanks. :)

Last edited by Parody; March 2nd, 2015 at 06:20 PM.
Parody is offline   #10 Reply With Quote