Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

javadragon

Old April 13th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I tried to search the forums for this answer, but I have not found a thread that matches what I am trying to do. So, if there already is a post that you are aware of for this, please link it here.

Goal:
I am creating an Edge called Smart Fighter. This edge allows the character to link their Fighting and Shooting skills to their Smarts, rather than Agility. Is this possible?

I thought about making new skills and not allowing the current ones, but I am not sure how I would link the weapons up to this new skill for their stat windows.

Other than that I think the only other way to do this would be to "refund" (increase skill points to offset extra cost for low Agility score when buying into these skills) buy costs back to the character.
javadragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 13th, 2014, 04:19 PM
The only effect that the attribute has on a skill is the skill cost. I would leave the rest alone.

I have not looked yet at the actual coding, but I would have the edge use an Eval Script that compares the ratings of Agility and Smarts. If Smarts is higher, have it go off the higher rating. Otherwise it has no effect.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 13th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Oh, and there is a problem with the refund. While it works at character creation (and it is an easy fix to put into the Eval script I mentioned), it would be a pain to mess with during Advancement. OF course, if it is a Creation Only edge that part is solved.

Edges that give a skill at d4 through bootstrapping have a similar problem. It is easy to offset the cost during creation mode, but it messes things up if the edge is taken at some point later on as it messes up the skill points during Advancement and you can't fix that (unless you unlock it). Interestingly enough you can bootstrap a free skill through advancement and it will not mess up skill points (if it is not off-set).

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Gumbytie

Old May 28th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Well, I created an Edge (Inspired by another game system) that did something similar. I called it Calculated Attacks. Uses Smarts as the linked attribute for Fighting.

The code:

Quote:
<eval phase="Setup" priority="1000">
<![CDATA[perform hero.childfound[skFighting].setlinkage[attribute,Attribute,"thingid.attrSma"]]]></eval>
Gumbytie is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 28th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Well, that was easy. Thanks for sharing.

SeeleyOne is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 29th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbytie View Post
Well, I created an Edge (Inspired by another game system) that did something similar. I called it Calculated Attacks. Uses Smarts as the linked attribute for Fighting.
I hope you won't mind (let me know if you do) but I've added that code to the Common Code thread to help put it someplace else for folks to find it if that will help them, with attribution to you. Great find!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
javadragon

Old May 30th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Thank you for the replies.

What I wound up doing in mine was to create new Skills called "Fighting (Smarts)" and "Fighting (Strength)" which were linked to the appropriate Attributes. I then kept this new skill and the original Fighting Skill in sync with each other.

However, set the linkage was a lot shorter and easier. I will have to test that code out to see how it works when the edge is bought after skills have already been bought using the original linked Attribute. Fore example, let's I had a d10 in Smarts and a d6 in Agility, but I bought up to a d8 in Fighting before taking the edge (meaning I spent 2 skills points to go from the d6 to the d8). If after taking the edge that changed the linked Attribute, would that mean I would get a skill point back? If I already spent that point before taking the edge, I do not think that skill point should be refunded back to me. I will have to test your code to see how it works.

I know that the other code is already above, but here is the code for me to keep the two Skills linked:
Quote:
<eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5000"><![CDATA[~ if this is added during user creation
if (hero.tagis[mode.creation] = 1) then
~This will offset the cost of adding the new skill
perform #resspent[resSkill,-,1,"Smart Fighter"]
endif

var smFightDie as number
var skillFight as number

~ get the current die for Fighting, -2 for initial d4
skillFight = 0
foreach pick in hero where "thingid.skFighting"
skillFight = eachpick.field[trtUser].value - 2
nexteach

foreach pick in hero where "thingid.skSmaFight"
~ get the current die for Fighting (Smarts), -2 for initial d4
smFightDie = eachpick.field[trtBonus].value + eachpick.field[trtUser].value - 2

~ add the current Fighting die to Fighting (Smarts)
eachpick.field[trtBonus].value += skillFight
nexteach

~ add the Fighting (Smarts) skill die to Fighting
foreach pick in hero where "thingid.skFighting"
eachpick.field[trtBonus].value += smFightDie
nexteach]]></eval>

<bootstrap thing="skSmaFight"></bootstrap>
javadragon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:32 AM
If that does not work, a mechanic will.

Code:
if (hero.tagis[Edge.edgFightSmart] = 1) then
      perform hero.childfound[skFighting].setlinkage[attribute,Attribute,"thingid.attrSma"
endif

SeeleyOne is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
javadragon

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM
As I suspected, when I tried using the setlinkage code, skill points were refunded to me when I gained the edge.

In my example, I had an Agility of d6 and a Smarts of d8. During hero creation, I did not take Smart Fighter. However, I chose to increase my Fighting skill to a d8, which cost 2 skill points when I went from d6 to d8. During advancement, I took the Smart Fighter edge and once I did this, I had another skill point to spend since my double skill point cost to take Fighting to a d8 became a single skill point cost.

I will have to play around with the code to see if I can figure out if there will be skill points refunded and adjust the characters allowed points.

Thank you for showing me the setlinkage code though as it means I do not have to create a new skill now.
javadragon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote