Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 21st, 2022, 03:17 PM
There's a ReadMe.pdf file that comes with the installer that describes what has changed in terms of which folder the files now need to be placed into.
Mathias is online now   #41 Reply With Quote
ploturo

Old October 21st, 2022, 09:35 PM
It's really great that some of the significant compatibility issues with Herolab Classic are being addressed for MacOS, and I know I'm not the only one who appreciates it. Thanks!

But...

It would help if the description for the update (displayed in the list of updates) didn't just say "Bug Fixes". It could say something like "Bug Fixes. File locations have changed, please check ReadMe.pdf for details."

Also, the menu items for accessing the folder locations don't work from the game selection dialog screen. So most people will need to re-download at least one of the game data sets, and then quit the app, and then reopen it and launch that game system, and then wait for the game system to load, in order to find out where the new folder locations are. Maybe the readme could say that "After launching the updated app for the first time, the new data folders can be found at ~/Library/Containers/com.LWDTechnology.HeroLab/Data/Library/Application Support/Hero Lab/... in the home folder for the current user. You can access your Library folder in the Go menu of the Finder by holding down the option key if it isn't already displayed there."

Last edited by ploturo; October 21st, 2022 at 09:41 PM.
ploturo is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old November 1st, 2022, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
There's a ReadMe.pdf file that comes with the installer that describes what has changed in terms of which folder the files now need to be placed into.
I can't find the path listed in the ReadMe for the new files, and not sure where the old files are to be found. I know how to get to the user library directory but there's no com.LWD... to be found under Containers.

I know there are a lot of packages I've collected somewhere because my .por files generate a ton of errors. I really don't want to have to go find all these again.
mototom is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
DaveM
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 2nd, 2022, 08:52 AM
There are multiple methods you can use to fix this issue:

1) you can use the menu option Tools->Explore Folders->Game System Data Folder. This will open a finder window in the new gamesystem folder location, and you just need to copy over your data files into that.

2) you can open your own Finder window and use Cmd-Shift-G to open ~/Library/Containers/com.LWDTechnology.HeroLab/Data/Library/Application Support/Hero Lab/data. Because this directory is normally hidden, you cannot navigate to this directory without using the shortcut.

3) Included in the most recent Mac installer, or available at https://www.wolflair.com/download/free/HLDFC.zip is a simple utility - the "Hero Lab Data File Copier" - that will copy over data files from the old location to the new location.

Once the data files are copied over using any of the above methods, no other changes should be necessary, although if you are editing these files within the editor you should ensure that you are editing the files in their new location.

Last edited by DaveM; November 2nd, 2022 at 08:57 AM.
DaveM is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old November 2nd, 2022, 05:21 PM
I ended up just setting up the community stuff again and redownloading. For feedback on clarity of your instructions:

1. I know how to do that. But I don't recall where the files used to be stored. It would be helpful to tell us where we should be copying files from as well as where we are copying them to.

2. Same problem. I can get to this directory (which can actually be reached by a navigable path in the user library, probably linked somehow) but didn't know where the old files were.

3. The Data File Copier didn't default to the necessary file locations. It just gave me a button to select where I wanted to copy from/to. And...see 1 and 2.

So it's all sorted. I'm not sure where my old .user file is, so the one or two items I had made I'll just live without.
mototom is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
ploturo

Old November 2nd, 2022, 11:13 PM
The old Hero Lab data folder is at "~/Library/Application Support/Hero Lab/" and your old .user file(s) should be in the data folder for whichever game system you used it with.
ploturo is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old November 4th, 2022, 06:59 AM
And it's not that difficult to just search your system for *.user filenames...
Azhrei is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
dwilhelmi

Old November 10th, 2022, 06:11 AM
After updating to the latest, and using the Data File Copier successfully, I'm able to create new portfolios again with all my addons. However, whenever I try to open any existing .por file, it crashes every time. Anybody else seeing this? Any ideas on how to fix it? I'd really rather not recreate all my old portfolios...
dwilhelmi is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old November 11th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploturo View Post
The old Hero Lab data folder is at "~/Library/Application Support/Hero Lab/" and your old .user file(s) should be in the data folder for whichever game system you used it with.
Thanks. I appreciate the helpful answer. They're not there. I'm not sure how they got lost but they weren't anywhere I expected them to be and don't turn up in searches.

At this point it doesn't really matter; I think the only thing I'd created was Krune's rod, since I ran the PFS scenario as a side-quest during Shattered Star. But we finished last weekend and are on to Return of the Runelords. So we're starting fresh again.
mototom is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
tjzeeman

Old December 9th, 2022, 12:49 PM
I've been running this update for some time now and it did fix several glitches I encountered on Mac OS 12.x, including unreadable buttons on dialogs.

However, it does seem this new release introduced a more serious issue as well. On occasion, when I try to save my portfolio, I get a dialog saying I cannot save it because the file is marked as read-only. On OS level that's not true, so it must be something in Hero Lab itself.

The current workaround is to 'save as', then at a later moment use 'open' to get back to the file again.

And for those paying attention. If I would have used 'recent' to reopen that newly saved file I would be greeted by yet another error saying that it cannot find the game system files for the character in the portfolio.

For completeness sake, this is with a character for Shadowrun 5. Not sure if other game systems fare similar fates. And it's also not happening at all attempts to save the portfolio, but enough to have become a nuisance and it did cause me to lose some data when I was still figuring out how to work around this.

I also thought this was a thing of my setup where I would save the data in an iCloud folder, but today I heard from one of my party members that he's experiencing the exact same issue and another one also knew about it and the workaround. All working in IT in some capacity so we're used to working around issues and stuff, but it would still be nice if these issues could be fixed as well.
tjzeeman is offline   #50 Reply With Quote