Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

EightBitz

Old May 25th, 2019, 09:24 PM
I bought some content from the content market mainly to see LWD's vision of how things should be structured. When I look at Isle of Kandril, I see detail in the structure. I see individual characters and individual places. When I look at Streets of Zobeck, I see the same thing. Things seem pretty well laid out.

We Be Goblins is basically a collection of scenes, but that's a very small adventure, so no big deal.

Rise of the Rune Lords was a huge disappointment. It's been updated with detail added for locations in Sandpoint, and that's great! But there's still no cast of characters, and I still find that disappointing. Other people may disagree with me on that, and that's to be expected. The point of this isn't to say "MY WAY IS THE BEST WAY!!!"

The point of this is to ask if a feature can be added to the content market where we can see the structure of an adventure. Just the hierarchy. I'm not asking for the content of a topic to be visible, just how the topics are laid out.

I think this request is especially relevant since there's no refund policy. Right now, there's no way for us to see what we're buying, and there's no recourse if we're not happy with it. That makes me wary about buying anything.
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 25th, 2019, 09:30 PM
I suppose alternatively, you could set a consistent expectation. Either all APs will have topics for individual characters and locations, or all APs will not.

Right now, I have no idea if future APs will be more like RotRL or more like Isle and Streets. So, I'd like to ask either for consistency or for a preview of each title.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:02 AM
It sounds to me like RotRL doesn't conform to LWD's own content creation guidelines which does call for cast lists amongst other things.

Isle of Kandril was my baseline of expectations of what an LWD produced realm would be. If they're not at least maintaining that standard I have some real issues with ever buying anything.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 27th, 2019, 03:31 AM
Razor Coast follows the setup of Streets of Zobeck and Isle of Kandril. It looks to me like the common denominator is that those items catalogued as a combination of setting and adventure have all the "bells and whistles" attached, while those items categorized as straight up adventures are being set up as a straight up list of scenes.

While the RotRL realm will be a great help in running the AP - and I'm still glad I bought it for that reason - I do agree with EightBitz that it won't really be much use if one is trying to integrate the AP into any sort of overarching campaign. The lack of character lists, group lists, location details, etc. seems to make it lackluster. It doesn't take advantage at all of RW best tool, the ability to follow links between locations, people, groups, etc down all those rabbit holes when the players go off the rails of the written adventure and just explore.

I think the same will likely be true of other adventure modules if LWD follows the same publication pattern.

I'm with EightBitz - I've already bought the PDF of these adventures, at least, and typically the HeroLab encounter library for them as well if I intend to run them. For the extra $10 to $35 I'm spending for a RW realm, I'd really like to see more than a linear regurgitation of the PDF I've already bought.

And if I'm not going to get that, I'd like to know in advance what I'm getting for my money, since I can't get a refund if I don't like it.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old May 27th, 2019, 06:55 AM
RotR will be the last AP I buy for RW if they don't start taking advantage of the program's strengths. I have it hard copy, Fantasy Grounds, PDF, and now RW, and the RW version is actually less useful by far than the FG version. The more wikipedia-like products, I will buy as many as I can afford, but yeah, don't waste my time and money with a snippetized PDF that is borderline harder to use than the PDF.
Bidmaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 27th, 2019, 04:23 PM
I think LWD, or at least whoever was doing their data entry, forgot that one of the selling points of content in RW is that you are supposed to be able to easily take pieces you want and discard pieces you don't.

RotRL, and other Paizo AP's, should be the poster children for this. They each include a host of NPC's, at least one home base community, groups of various kinds etc. Presented exactly as the AP presents the flow of the adventure loses all, or at least most of that. The AP has to be examined in depth and the data entry has to be planned so that a GM can easily find that "funny dwarf who knew that rumor" as well as slice the thing up to extract the parts people want if they aren't actually running the AP.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old June 1st, 2019, 09:05 AM
This past Tuesday, I emailed support requesting an official response to this thread. It's been three business days.
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old June 1st, 2019, 10:19 AM
Thanks, EightBitz - I was considering starting another thread with a summary of the discussion and a shout out to the devs, but your idea is way better .

Hopefully they'll attend to some of the "suggestions" here.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old June 1st, 2019, 04:26 PM
I got an email response that the crew was busy at Paizo Con, and someone will be responding soon.
EightBitz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old June 3rd, 2019, 02:39 AM
Yeah, no one has mentioned it, but since the launch of the CM the weekly updates stopped. They didn't dwindle or become monthly. They simply stopped with no explanation. I know they are a small company, but the regular updates go along way in terms of customer relations and now they just have another promise broken instead.
meek75 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote