Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ptinutz

Old April 18th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I have tested for the first time yesterday this app and it was really a pleasure to use. Most of the tiny details I would have change was said before so I will not enumerate it.

The only things that bored me is to update the file between the desktop and the ipad. My portfolio is on dropbox, like that my DM and me have access on it and it could be so nice, if it could all synchronise, non need to go to itunes and make many saves...

But otherwise great work...
ptinutz is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
mxyzplk

Old April 19th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post

We're definitely planning to make some improvements to the dice roller, such as critical threats, etc. We may not automate everything to the extent your DM software does, but it's definitely important to show "critical threat" and make sure that people know they need to do whatever manually.

Are any damage dice (from Bane, flaming weapon, sneak attack, etc) multiplied as a result of a critical hit? From what I've read none of them are, but I want to double-check that. If that's the case, that would make it easier to correctly roll crit damage in Hero Lab.
That is correct, extra dice are never, ever multiplied with criticals, but all numerical bonuses (smite, etc.) are.

Do please keep up the "showing your work" in the dice rolling though, it makes it easy for us to work around non-covered cases. (Like, sometimes we use the Paizo Crit Deck instead of using the normal weapon multiplier - but as long as it shows the x1 damage vs the x2, x3, etc. damage it's easy enough to correct.)
mxyzplk is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxyzplk View Post
That is correct, extra dice are never, ever multiplied with criticals, but all numerical bonuses (smite, etc.) are.

Do please keep up the "showing your work" in the dice rolling though, it makes it easy for us to work around non-covered cases. (Like, sometimes we use the Paizo Crit Deck instead of using the normal weapon multiplier - but as long as it shows the x1 damage vs the x2, x3, etc. damage it's easy enough to correct.)
Yep agree with both statements 100%.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Lorangriel

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:58 AM
For some reason I can't load any of my portfolios onto the ipad version. It crashes while loading them. I see them in the character select screen but once I try to click on them, I get the "loading for 20-30 seconds" alert and then I'm staring at my ipad backgrouond
Lorangriel is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorangriel View Post
For some reason I can't load any of my portfolios onto the ipad version. It crashes while loading them. I see them in the character select screen but once I try to click on them, I get the "loading for 20-30 seconds" alert and then I'm staring at my ipad backgrouond
When this happened to me, I was able to fix it by power cycling my iPad (which clears a lot of things out of memory, freeing up enough memory for Hero Lab to actually store an entire character).

To actually turn an iPad off, rather than just putting it to sleep, hold down the power button for a few seconds, until a "slide to power off" option appears on the screen. Do so, wait a few seconds, and then turn the iPad on again.
Mathias is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
Lorangriel

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks Mathias. I tried that already and it didn't help. Though After a couple of abortive attempts I was able to access my portfolio. I didn't do anything differently but it just decided to load it... Don't understand. But I guess understanding is not required (ONLY OBEDIENCE!! :-) )

One thing I noticed about rolling is that critical hits (threats) and misses are not highlighted with weapons. It would be nice to make those more visible. The app knows what the crit modifyer of the weapons are. So the info is there.
Lorangriel is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
Nero Shade

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Played with this app last night. It took a bit for me to familiarize myself with it, but I had a few hours before the game and found everything was easy to read.

A few notes:
- In the Gear and Charges used it lists potions, feed for my mount, alchemical items and a single use magic item called Dweomer's Essence. It isn't listing wands or scrolls. I haven't tried out staffs. It only lists wands if I equip them, but it won't let me equip custom made wands. It would be helpful if it would show wands without equipping them. I don't really need to see scrolls, as those are one use and easy to find.

- When searching spells in the custom scroll screen it froze up and I had to manually shut off and reload the app. It did this a few times to me.

- I can't find the caster level check for over coming SR. I have a few bonuses for it and know what it is but it would be nice to see it somewhere.

- I really like that you put the Concentration check in each of the spells description.

- I like that I can add gear, make journal entries, make adjustments, and add in conditions. It does all this very smoothly.

- When I click on a scroll it doesn't tell me any of the spell information. It would be nice if it did.

- I love how health is handled.

- Nice smooth transition to other characters connected to the portfolio.
Nero Shade is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
Kotawolf

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I like it, but running into a problem... it won't load one of my custom classes.
Spell-Less ranger, keeps on saying source not found. The file is on www.cheeseweasel.net. So I'm not sure how to tell it, or if it is even possible to tell it to allow custom classes.

*Edit: Nevermind.. found the answer in another thread. Working well now.*
This could be fun.

Last edited by Kotawolf; April 19th, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Kotawolf is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
knight2142

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorangriel View Post
Thanks Mathias. I tried that already and it didn't help. Though After a couple of abortive attempts I was able to access my portfolio. I didn't do anything differently but it just decided to load it... Don't understand. But I guess understanding is not required (ONLY OBEDIENCE!! :-) )
I've been running into the same problem. The other thing that happens is that a portfolio will load, and then i try to switch characters and it sends me back to my iPad home screen.
knight2142 is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2142 View Post
The other thing that happens is that a portfolio will load, and then i try to switch characters and it sends me back to my iPad home screen.
Same here. (on the switching characters on a portfolio that is loaded) I thought it was because i had some sources that arent working right now. So i didnt post, but it always happens when i pick a second character.
mirtos is offline   #70 Reply With Quote