Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Silveras

Old January 14th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Os View Post
Hi Liz, thanks for replying. I have another question for you. Can I customize what each player sees? For example, I'm going to be inputting a handout into realm works. This handout will have 5 parts. I'll create each with its own snippet. Call them Snippet A, B, C, D, E. Can I reveal Snippet A to player 1 only, and snippet B to player 2 so on etc..?
Not yet.

Currently, reveal is for all players equally. It *is* snippet-by-snippet, but what is revealed is revealed to all players.

Per-character (as in even more specific than per-Player) control is in the works, but is not available at this time.
Silveras is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old January 15th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The frustrating part is that when asked about network features for Hero Lab, Rob's response was that he wasn't interested in that because many people don't have internet access where they play - then Realm Works comes out, and a major key feature of it depends on internet access.
That's kind of apples and oranges isn't it?

The 'requirement' of RW is due to one of the core purposes of RW being for dessemination of information between GM and players.
weogarth is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 15th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
That's kind of apples and oranges isn't it?

The 'requirement' of RW is due to one of the core purposes of RW being for dessemination of information between GM and players.
How does that 'requirement' translate to a 'requirement' that it be internet connected and transferred to a 3rd party server?
Fuzzy is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old January 15th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Quote:
How does that 'requirement' translate to a 'requirement' that it be internet connected and transferred to a 3rd party server?
Simply because the design decision was made that processing would take place at the "master server" when sync happens.

In order for some of the other design decisions to happen (web viewing, marketplace) a central repository was decided on, and that influences everything else about the storage and networking of your data.

That being said, to simply use RW as a repository for your own use, without sharing or importing, you don't need internet for anything except the initial realm creation.

Last edited by MaxSupernova; January 15th, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 15th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Quote:
RW isn't even designed behind having intenet at the play table, in fact it is not designed at all with internet at the play table in mind. If it was, then "live" insta sync would be feature 1, not maybe in future feature.

RW's core design seems to be player view at the table and sync inbetween sessions. Which seems to be right in line with Rob's assesment of no intenet at the table. I know from my experience, my gaming group is one of the most future wielding groups around, we all use computers at the table with live internet and we have a GM player facing monitor.

My camaign however will take us to the next level, removing miniatures, paper, by going VTT and RW, thus taking us completely within the electronic frontier, no more paper at all, with RW handling all the information, HL characters and D20 the VTT.

I also have a teamspeak server, I am going to also provide a "poly" device so sick players, or travelling players that have internet can still join and play. We will never ever give up the social meeting of the game, ever, but we will hopefuly leverage tech to help us all play weekly, even when the flu tries to say otherwise.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; January 15th, 2015 at 06:54 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 15th, 2015, 09:21 AM
The only internet requirement for RW is for creating new realms. Period. Full stop.

RW's greatest strength and primary focus is in organizing a huge amount of data for the GM. The GM can access any and all information without internet access at any time in any place. The GM can plan, update, run games wherever they want. The only thing a GM cannot do without the internet is create a new realm. RW does exactly what it is advertised to do.

RW's desire is to accommodate a lot of different factions with notions of what RW needs to be. Player Edition fueled speculation and inflated hopes as LWD did not manage expectations effectively. What it was in reality and what it was in everyone's mind didn't match and some folks felt let down. Many folks want RW to be the holy grail that integrates everything despite LWD stating very clearly that VTT support and at-the-table synching are planned (and should have been commented on if they are important during the survey) but may not even be on the radar this year for all we know. RW strives to do everything it hasn't been advertised to do.
AEIOU is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
The only internet requirement for RW is for creating new realms. Period. Full stop.
Technically incorrect: first run for a Windows user, account creation, and deleting a realm also require Internet access. None of this requires you to have paid for cloud service.

ObTopic: Expectations are very hard to manage, but for those with good Internet access at their location an eventual Web client might provide the instant updates they'd like to see. It's more of a when will we see what; the developers have a ton on their plate already.

Last edited by Parody; January 15th, 2015 at 12:15 PM.
Parody is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 15th, 2015, 02:25 PM
A rules lawyer at every table.... Thanks @Parody for keeping me honest.
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 15th, 2015, 10:23 PM
To meander back toward the Thread Topic....

IF there is NO a chance your players might review, peruse, or utilize your realm away from your table... currently ,,, NO.

The uses for the RWPE is not particularly helpful... nearly all of what is currently available can be seen at the table via player view.

Unless there is a chance your players might review, peruse, or utilize your realm away from your table... and / or IF you have players that cannot make a session or are out of town, on assignment (or in my case) in the military, then it is a means that will grow into a useful access-point for them to keep abreast of and connected with their gaming group.

IMO

Your mileage may vary depending on expectations and application.

DLG
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 15th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
IF there is NO a chance your players might review, peruse, or utilize your realm away from your table... currently ,,, NO.
It is very useful for your players to peruse when they are not at the gaming table, i.e. between gaming sessions.

I suspect it is much more likely than just "Unless there is a chance".
Farling is offline   #20 Reply With Quote