Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 20th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
I would not have a problem paying 24.99 a year if i could port over at least one of my licenses from classic so my wife could use her IPad.
The official HLO FAQ says:

"Q: How will my Hero Lab Classic secondary licenses transfer to Hero Lab Online?
A: In Hero Lab Classic, secondary licenses allow users to access their content on multiple devices. Hero Lab Online will employ a similar concept, allowing simultaneous access to your account from multiple devices (e.g. multiple family members). Migration from Classic to Online will convert your secondary licenses to simultaneous devices in the new environment."

My guess has been this feature will come when PF1 goes to HLO. Other than that LW has not really said anything else so I assume its still going to happen eventually.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
gcpeart

Old August 21st, 2018, 01:38 PM
I want to challenge 7 (ubiquity of internet access) and 8 (internet access in special circumstances like GenCon)

I post this from my commuter train, where I have more or less "ubiquitous internet access." For the first half of my commute I was bombarded by session issues, and needed to reload the app multiple times, and for the second half I was only aggrieved by long latency. More over through out my day I connect, reconnect, disconnect, move, and so on through multiple internet zones, and every time my session is lost, my place in my work lost, and I must reset my context.

My commute time is my prep time for game, as player and GM, I've invested heavily in PF in HL Classic, and now in trying to just "play with character builds" on HLO for PF2, I'm stymied immediately by the Online Model.

With respect to 8, I was also in the Sagamore, and I'm glad one end of the room had good access, I found myself frequently unable to even send a text message to a phone in the room, never mind other internet activities like SRD rule checks. GenCon is a relatively good con with respect to technology, probably its biggest issue is volume, not availability. But it was inconsistent, and if I can't access my characters reliably, I can't game. My generalized con experience, is that most convention spaces are veritable faraday cages, so even if you have a good mobile internet plan, it just won't work for you, and many cons either don't have WIFI. I acknowledge this is ameliorated by plans for an offline viewer, but that make tedious the act of re-updating a character, or tracking consumables between sessions.

I know I'm coming off as hostile, and it is probably diluting my message, but it is really frustrating, I have spent hundreds on classic, and sold at least 3-4 friends on it, it is a staple for us because of its utility. This isn't a plight about the cost model, this is raw usability, and it is driving me back to community build macro driven excel spreadsheets.
gcpeart is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 21st, 2018, 03:09 PM
I still contend that the best end product would have been to create an Online add-on for HLC.
Fuzzy is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 21st, 2018, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I still contend that the best end product would have been to create an Online add-on for HLC.
Fortunately this is not they way they went. Now I can use my phone to access my characters.
Toblakai is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 21st, 2018, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Fortunately this is not they way they went. Now I can use my phone to access my characters.
how would that not be an option with an 'online add-on for hero lab classic?'

FWIW, I've been using my phone happily with Hero Lab (classic) for many years....
Fuzzy is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 21st, 2018, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
how would that not be an option with an 'online add-on for hero lab classic?'

FWIW, I've been using my phone happily with Hero Lab (classic) for many years....
"add-on for HLC" to me implies that the device has HLC installed and it adds online features to it. Please explain what you mean.

Have not seen a Android version, unless you are referring to RDP, which would be awful not to mention for those complaining about bandwidth, it would use probably around 1000 times as much data.
Toblakai is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old August 22nd, 2018, 09:15 AM
I think an online viewer that used the PORtfolio files would have been nice. Might be something they could still do for the older licenses, or for exported character files when that feature is implemented.
thaX is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 22nd, 2018, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
I think an online viewer that used the PORtfolio files would have been nice. Might be something they could still do for the older licenses, or for exported character files when that feature is implemented.
Sort of a static version you can't manipulate, but just view on any platform?
Toblakai is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:08 PM
One that could adjust things for spells and class effects, but otherwise is static, yes.
thaX is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
One that could adjust things for spells and class effects, but otherwise is static, yes.
You know this would require an account to login to so that it could verify the packages you own. It would also need the back end of HL to do the calculations for the adjustments from spells and class abilities. They would pretty much need to implement a online version of HL. If they did that maybe the could call it "Hero Lab Online".
Toblakai is offline   #60 Reply With Quote