Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

theparadox

Old February 12th, 2016, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
This is really starting to get to me.
<Beware rant ahead>
LWD is not Microsoft. People spent a fairly small amount of money for a piece of software that does something that literally no other software had ever done before. But they're not happy that the roll out is slow and the software has had bugs? Really just how entitled are people?

Then people are complaining about cloud service, no one has been charged a single dime for it yet and no one has even had the clock on their free time end yet. We still don't even know what LWD will charge for the service and still people are finding reasons to complain.

I'm just glad the guys at Lone Wolf are passionate about Realm Works because stuff like this could really sour a coder on the work they were doing. I've been there.
<end rant>

To LWD, I use RW a lot and love it. Do not listen to the naysayers I doubt anything could make them happy.
Perhaps I'm terrible at communicating? I stated, repeatedly, that I am aware that no promises were made regarding a timetable on new features. My highest criticism is specifically that their website does not reflect the current timetable and priority of the dev team. As far as the cloud service goes, my biggest criticism again is that their live web site does not accurately reflect the state of their cloud service. There is information regarding the beginning of services clock starting on Nov 18 and last I checked there was nothing indicating the year (2014!) or current "refrozen" state of the cloud service clock. I shouldn't have to do any more research to figure out that my cloud service isn't running out in two months. I'm ecstatic that I motivated staff to make an official clarification post in the forums but this should be clear on the site detailing their product!

Regarding bugs I submit bug reports when my errors occur, at least the first two or three times the error is thrown in a session. I'm not abandoning the program or claiming that the dev team isn't passionate, doesn't care, or can't pull it off. It simply turns me off when I have major errors the first few times I really start to use it. I'm more concerned concerned that there isn't a higher priority on communication (at least through their website). Even if it is accurately posted somewhere, it shouldn't then also be inaccurately posted somewhere else.

If they want to make money and grow their software and their service, conflicting information on their website is NOT the way to do it and I'd rather they get their act together regarding this sort of thing. I want them to succeed. I desperately want someone to release software like this. If nobody mentions it or if the devs only listen to people like you who just brush off any criticism as whining from naysayers who'll never be happy, those who do not bother to raise the issue will just leave and potential customers will be lost.
theparadox is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old February 12th, 2016, 06:41 AM
FYI theParadox there is a lage contingent of developer apologists on these forums.

I'm not one, I believe they made some incorrect design choices and I agree that their web-site should be updated to reflect the current state of development and where the app is going and when it will get there.

Having said all that Lonewolf is doing yeoman work with their development of Realmworks, which is not to say they haven't made mistakes, rather they are developing for a very small market with highly limited resources.

Even with it's many drawbacks Realmworks has become a critical part of our campaign and my GM prep and on-table play.

I just hope they get to the webview release sooner rather than later, the delays are keeeeeling me ;-)
adzling is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old February 12th, 2016, 07:30 AM
With all the ads and videos popping up now from LWD I think it won't be long until this feature finally gets rolled out. So keep your fingers crossed calm down and enjoy the ride. Hopefully my favourite feature is next

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 12th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Never publish at ETA, absolute worst mistake any software company can do. In fact worst mistake any product company could do.

Why do you think Mr. Scott multiplied his repair times by a factor of 4?

You will crucified if you miss it even by a day. Better to deal with the whining of no news, then to give news that can be hung from your neck like concrete galoshes.

I am with out a gaming group for the first time in 15 or so years. But since then my development within Realm Works has increased. I have ramped up my work to match my new found free time.

I wish LWD was able to produce everyt8ng I want and every feature we want in a time line we all wish they could. But alas, they cannot. There are two ways to handle this, cause a ruckus or simply cheer them on and hope it all comes to fruition soon.

Personally I will choose to cheer them on, because of my love for the product, my love for Hero Lab. and to what I believe is one of the most dedicated teams to RPG gaming in the business, and what they have achieved so far.

But each to their own.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 12th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Why do you think Mr. Scott multiplied his repair times by a factor of 4?
So when he got done in half that time he looked like a Legendary Engineer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Personally I will choose to cheer them on, because of my love for the product, my love for Hero Lab. and to what I believe is one of the most dedicated teams to RPG gaming in the business, and what they have achieved so far.
I agree. Its WAY too easy to point out small mistakes of other people. Especially when those people are working crazy hours on issues that range from the world is ending to "would be nice to have some day".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 12th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theparadox View Post
Perhaps I'm terrible at communicating? I stated, repeatedly, that I am aware that no promises were made regarding a timetable on new features. My highest criticism is specifically that their website does not reflect the current timetable and priority of the dev team. As far as the cloud service goes, my biggest criticism again is that their live web site does not accurately reflect the state of their cloud service. There is information regarding the beginning of services clock starting on Nov 18 and last I checked there was nothing indicating the year (2014!) or current "refrozen" state of the cloud service clock. I shouldn't have to do any more research to figure out that my cloud service isn't running out in two months. I'm ecstatic that I motivated staff to make an official clarification post in the forums but this should be clear on the site detailing their product!
Got no idea where you found that date but this is also on the website
http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/2...cloud-service/

Which clearly says the clock is stopped.

Quote:
Regarding bugs I submit bug reports when my errors occur, at least the first two or three times the error is thrown in a session. I'm not abandoning the program or claiming that the dev team isn't passionate, doesn't care, or can't pull it off. It simply turns me off when I have major errors the first few times I really start to use it. I'm more concerned concerned that there isn't a higher priority on communication (at least through their website). Even if it is accurately posted somewhere, it shouldn't then also be inaccurately posted somewhere else.
Liz and Rob do communicate through the forum. That they have not responded to your specific complaints does not change that, wait one of them did respond to you but it wasn't good enough, so I guess it would have only counted if they told you something you liked.

Quote:
If they want to make money and grow their software and their service, conflicting information on their website is NOT the way to do it and I'd rather they get their act together regarding this sort of thing. I want them to succeed. I desperately want someone to release software like this. If nobody mentions it or if the devs only listen to people like you who just brush off any criticism as whining from naysayers who'll never be happy, those who do not bother to raise the issue will just leave and potential customers will be lost.
You think I brush off any criticism? Really? I've been very critical of LWD but not over stuff like not keeping the website updated or slipped delivery dates when no firm date was given in the first place.

The fact remains that the software delivers a great product that cannot be duplicated. That is a rare achievement. Whining that one aspect or another is taking a while to be delivered won't make it come out any faster. I want the web view as well because I think some of my players are more likely to immerse themselves in the lore of my campaign if they have a website to go to rather than having to install player edition and figure that all out. But until it comes out RW still makes my life easier in prep and at the table. All my players simply don't get to use it.
kbs666 is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 12th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Referee stepping in here. @theparadox, if you have specific concerns that you'd like Lone Wolf to officially address, you're welcome to contact support with your questions and ask for me.

If anyone has any questions/comments germane to the original thread, feel free to continue posting. However, the rest stops here.
liz is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
theparadox

Old February 13th, 2016, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
Referee stepping in here. @theparadox, if you have specific concerns that you'd like Lone Wolf to officially address, you're welcome to contact support with your questions and ask for me.

If anyone has any questions/comments germane to the original thread, feel free to continue posting. However, the rest stops here.
I apologize for the tone the conversation has taken. I appreciate that the "coming soon" page was updated and I appreciate your intercessions with information and again to calm to tone of the conversation.

Thank you and, again, I am sorry.
theparadox is offline   #28 Reply With Quote