Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old November 13th, 2015, 12:05 AM
It looks like Microsoft have issued their first official update for Windows 10 (not on the "fast track").

This update changes your computer's Id, so you will need to get your license renewed.

This might require LWD to manually allow the re-assignment if you've done a license update recently.
Farling is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 13th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Great tip!

THANKS!

I have posted on my play groups msg board to warn them all.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
snelbe

Old November 13th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
It looks like Microsoft have issued their first official update for Windows 10 (not on the "fast track").

This update changes your computer's Id, so you will need to get your license renewed.

This might require LWD to manually allow the re-assignment if you've done a license update recently.
I just had this happen after running the Windows 10 update and the message I received running Hero Lab wasn't helpful. It told me to go under the license menu and select 'Move License to this Computer', which does not exist as an option.

When I tried to use the Reactivate License option in the License menu I was told that for security reasons I'd have to wait 120 days. I followed a link in that same message to reactivate sooner, but I'm still waiting for a response from Lone Wolf development support - which the e-mail I received said can take up to 3 days!

I've had the software on my computer for some time, so any Demo time has long expired. It's very frustrating that I can't access the software and data packages I have paid for.

Is there any way to get the software I've paid for activated any faster? I need to use the tool tonight for a game I'm running, and have come to rely on it.
snelbe is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
snelbe

Old November 13th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Any idea on how long it should take to get support when this upgrade forces a need for a new license key?

I didn't realize this would be a problem. I installed Windows 10 from 8.1 not long ago, and this Windows 10 update seems to have forced a reactivation of the Hero Lab license.

Following the Reactivation process gave me a message to wait 120 days or contact tech support. Needless to say, I went for tech support but I received an automatic e-mail that I have to wait up to 3 days before I can get help.

I'm running a game tonight and can't use the software, which is very frustrating - and several attempts to get support have got me nowhere.

Right now I am not happy - looking at having to resort to pen and paper tonight to run my game...
snelbe is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zan Thrax

Old November 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Just ran into that. I have no idea why the licensing system for Hero Lab is so bloody complicated and restrictive. I'm rather displeased that the software that I've spent a crapload of money on is suddenly in demo mode the day before my session.
Zan Thrax is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 13th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Stand by, we're working on something to make this more painless. Also, Dave and I are chugging through the license reassignments that have been submitted so far.
liz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 13th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I've tweaked things on our licensing server to make it more likely that your reassignment will go through painlessly when updating Windows 10. Hopefully this should make it simpler for everyone who updates - you'll still need to reactivate your Hero Lab license, but it should go through automatically, rather than waiting for early reassignment.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 updates invalidate the criteria that Hero Lab has used for years to determine "what is a unique computer", which is why you need to reactivate your license after applying them. The good news is that we have a solution for this which is currently in testing - we want to make sure it's bulletproof before rolling it out, but once we do, this problem shouldn't occur in the future. I'm hoping to deploy the changes sometime in January, assuming we don't run into any problems.

Hope this helps, and sorry for any inconvenience!
Colen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Zan Thrax

Old November 13th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Confirmed liz; I just had mine reactivated by Dave.
Zan Thrax is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 13th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Hi everyone,

I've tweaked things on our licensing server to make it more likely that your reassignment will go through painlessly when updating Windows 10. Hopefully this should make it simpler for everyone who updates - you'll still need to reactivate your Hero Lab license, but it should go through automatically, rather than waiting for early reassignment.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 updates invalidate the criteria that Hero Lab has used for years to determine "what is a unique computer", which is why you need to reactivate your license after applying them. The good news is that we have a solution for this which is currently in testing - we want to make sure it's bulletproof before rolling it out, but once we do, this problem shouldn't occur in the future. I'm hoping to deploy the changes sometime in January, assuming we don't run into any problems.

Hope this helps, and sorry for any inconvenience!
Sweet! great work HL team!

However I never had to wait longer than 24hrs for a reassignment, always painless and quick. But I am sure that due to Windows 10 timely deactivation of every win10 user at once sure put a few support tickets in the bin at once.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Solomyn_Kaine

Old November 14th, 2015, 08:59 AM
It is not automatically updating for me. It still kicks me to the early reassignment page. Such is life in the digital age.
Solomyn_Kaine is offline   #10 Reply With Quote