Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RampagingHoardes

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Home finally. Your question is really simple and complicated at the same time.

I use several cast lists (with names rather than roles) as outlined below (with sample prefixes for sorting). This allows me to group NPCs by region so I can find them quickly or move them to the World Almanac if they aren't needed. I also create a table in each cast list category with rows for NPC, Nearest Town/Encounter, Friend/Foe and Notes. I only create real category entries for NPC's the PC's will definitely interact with. My table of names with notes automatically links to existing NPCs and locations.

Player Characters (1)
-- PC 1
-- PC 2
-- PC 3
Recurring Characters (2)
-- Villain 1
-- Villain sidekick
-- Mysterious Stranger
-- Innkeeper
-- Mayor
Historical Figures (3)
-- Augustus Caesar (deceased)
Region Name Cast (RN1)
-- Bandit Leader
-- Assassin Mole
-- Thief in Black
Region Name Extras (RN2)
-- Bandit 1
-- Bandit 2
-- Bandit 3
-- Ironworker
-- Apple Merchant
Second Region Cast (SR1)
Second Region Extras (SR2)
Third Region Cast (TR1)
Third Region Extras (TR2)
Interesting approach. I haven't dug to much into the snippet capabilities yet and the tables may be a good route for me later when I have an area completed. I am working similar to yours with the cast lists but mine are still at the country level at the moment.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to hide the aliases in the view pane on the left (where i see the contents of the world almanac) rather than replicate the entries?

If I use an alias I really don't want

John Smith and Smith,John

as it still won't sort properly.

I really only want to display Smith,John but I want it to recognize elsewhere if I type in the snippets etc John Smith that I am talking about Smith,John

Is this not possible?
RampagingHoardes is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
Click the Hammer and Wrench icon in the Navigation Pane (or press F6) and pick "Show Aliases".

Parody is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:41 PM
I have added over 400+ NPCs and use the following:
I use the container option a lot. I create a group family and then put each member in the from (so the family will be the container). If you set the topic list to hierarchy view each member is placed under the family). I now even have a higher container (being people).

It looks like this:
Cymric
Berwick StJames
Catrin Berwick StJames
Idris Berwick StJames

Furthermore I use the relationship options to link parents to children and husbands to wives.
Cornelius is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Davout_1806

Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
I have added over 400+ NPCs and use the following:
I use the container option a lot. I create a group family and then put each member in the from (so the family will be the container). If you set the topic list to hierarchy view each member is placed under the family). ...

I just started using RW. My understanding is a topic can only be inside a single container. Cornelius, this makes sense, however, have you not run into single container limitation?
Davout_1806 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I run a Pendragon game, and inheritance runs through the male line, so when a lady marries a knight she is brought into the family of the knight.
Furthermore the families of nobles are the only ones who have a family name. Thus when a lady marries a commoner the man is brought into the family of the wife.

That way I only need 1 container. Through the relationships I can keep track upon family lines
Cornelius is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old July 24th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
I run a Pendragon game, and inheritance runs through the male line, so when a lady marries a knight she is brought into the family of the knight.
Furthermore the families of nobles are the only ones who have a family name. Thus when a lady marries a commoner the man is brought into the family of the wife.

That way I only need 1 container. Through the relationships I can keep track upon family lines
I thought about using a container but the reference documentation warned against it. For me there explanation rang true as I have some realms where the houses and lineage will be more important than others and I wanted to remain consistent across my world with how I contain things.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #17 Reply With Quote