Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Da Butcha

Old October 6th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I'm on the fence on purchasing the HL package for Unchained, since nobody in the group is playing any of the Unchained Classes. The only other thing I am likely to implement is the Innate Item Bonuses option, as I really, really like the idea of encouraging characterful magic item selection, instead of careful cultivation of the 'standard bonuses'.

How well implemented is this option, and does it play well with other files?

My major concerns are that it will be painful to apply this option to already created characters (such as those for Adventure Paths, etc.), and it will be painful to select magic items for characters in general. I don't mind a little bit of work (going back and reselecting non-bonus items, etc), but I don't want to discover that I have to recreate every opponent and ally in Skull & Shackles from scratch.

Experiences (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
Da Butcha is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 6th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Butcha View Post
My major concerns are that it will be painful to apply this option to already created characters (such as those for Adventure Paths, etc.), and it will be painful to select magic items for characters in general. I don't mind a little bit of work (going back and reselecting non-bonus items, etc), but I don't want to discover that I have to recreate every opponent and ally in Skull & Shackles from scratch.
My thoughts is this is not the best approach for NPCs. The innate bonuses is suppose to be balanced vs creatures in Pathfinder. This includes a NPC with magic items. So does it matter where the "bonus" comes from innate or magic item and will your players know the difference? The answer is no. Its not possible for a player to know the difference as long as the 'magic' sword the NPC used didn't drop for the PCs to pick up.

Even if the bonuses are not 100% exactly the same no player is ever going to know if there is a +1 difference in the values of attacks or DC of spells. If it was me I would simply use the innate bonuses for PCs and regular rules and equipment for NPCs. Then it only matters which items actually 'drop' for the PCs to get.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Da Butcha

Old October 6th, 2015, 06:25 PM
That was partially my concern. The PCs don't know that the opposition is using different rules, but the 'item drops' would probably clue them in.

Since 'standard bonus' items aren't available to the PCs, it seems like a LOT of the standard treasure will be absent. I know that Innate Item Bonuses drastically reduces the assumed Wealth by Level, but presumably, the PCs will still get some amount of magical treasures.

Those magic items should be in use by the opposition, and, since they won't be standard bonus items, the effects should be MORE obvious, since they are there to DO something, and not just to provide a bonus. Otherwise, people will wonder why the enemy was wearing a magical cloak, but not doing anything with it (as an example).

I almost always go over the opposition in HeroLab and make adjustments (spells that weren't written when the AP came out, feats that seem to make more sense, etc.), so rechoosing magic items isn't a concern in itself, so long as turning that toggle on or off for a user file doesn't break something (or take way too much time). I don't want to configure the enemy, turn on Innate Item bonuses, and get forced to rebuild the character from scratch. Making a few choices and changes would be acceptable.

As a secondary worry, it seems like the absence of items providing the standard bonuses is just another way to unbalance casters vs. martials. The casters lose no effects whatsoever from their spells, but the martials lose another source of bonus damage. Sure it's +1 to +5, but in a system with so much perceived disparity between the types, it's another nail in the coffin. Maybe the reduced cost of Flaming/Bane/etc. will balance that out in the end.
Da Butcha is offline   #3 Reply With Quote