Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 12th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Does anyone know a workaround for this error? I don't know how long it will be before Support contacts me in regards to this, but I have a game to run tonight and I need this file to open. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.jpg (157.7 KB, 24 views)
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old September 12th, 2015, 09:05 AM
My first thought would be that you have a corrupted download or installation. Have you tried manually downloading Hero Lab 7.2 and reinstalling?

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 12th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I don't think that is it, since other portfolios are working fine. I'm thinking it may just be this portfolio, though for the life of me I don't know how it got corrupted. And there is info in that file I definitely need to recover. I used to be able to just go in a fix a portfolio in the past, when there was some kind of error, but with them now be encrypted, I don't know what I'll be able to do until I hear from support. Phooey.
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Strangely enough, even though I can't open that portfolio without crashing, I can import the heroes into another portfolio without any issue. That is, until I get to a new character that was last added to the portfolio the last time we gathered, that character is causing the blow up. So there is something with the one character, though I have no idea what it is, and now I can't recover that character. I created the character as usual in HL, and I got no validation errors, so I'm at a loss to figure it out at the moment.
Kendall-DM is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 12th, 2015, 09:43 AM
And to further narrow it down, it is only occurring with creating a 1st level druid. As soon as it is created, it crashes. All previously existing druids with more than 1 level seem to be OK, only newly created ones. So there is something in my custom stuff that druid that is causing the issue. Now to track that down...
Kendall-DM is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 12th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Well, I'm not finding anything in my custom stuff that would be breaking this. Not to mention that I haven't added anything new to my custom stuff for a month or more. Before this current build of HL I was able to create the 1st level druid with my custom stuff fine (in fact that is why it even exists now in that portfolio). Now, since this release, I can't make a new druid whatsoever in my custom stuff. I have no problem with creating it in the plain jane d20 files, just not having any fun with my stuff. Other classes are fine, just seems limited to the druid. I've looked high and low in my cvDruid file, nothing out of the ordinary, been that way for ages. I've made no other changes to druid for some time. Let me know if you guys need my user file or my portfolio that is erroring. Thanks!
Kendall-DM is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 12th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
when there was some kind of error, but with them now be encrypted, I don't know what I'll be able to do until I hear from support. Phooey.
Not encrypted just in binary or better known as a zipped. Simply use a tool like 7zip and you can decompress the .por file into its multiple folders and files that it stores. Those internal files are text files and xml files.

This is the same concept behind word documents which are actually zip files also.

Though not sure it will help you getting to the XML data...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 12th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I've found the issue. I had made some changes to my Wild Shape and was replacing it. Unfortunately, it is causing issues for making a 1st level druid. The previous druid was several levels along when I made this change so it didn't impact that character. I believe I've tracked it down in my custom stuff, helps to be a programmer, just excluded everything I had done and replaced it one by one until it broke. I've got it working again.

@Wolflair Support, if you see this, you can close that report I sent. It is only a user issue.

Thanks!
Kendall-DM is offline   #8 Reply With Quote