Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Viking2054

Old April 15th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Some of the other topic threads that involve the database, make it sound like there is one database containing all the realms you create. Is that correct, or is each realm you create its own unique database?

I'd prefer each realm be its own unique database myself. Makes things easier to keep separate, export, import, and possibly pass around to other GM's with the program if I wish to share my original content.

Also, You've talked about pointers to a "Main Realm" from a "Derived Realm". Is there any chance we will be able to establish our own pointers to other Realms of ours? As an example, if I populate one realm with a lot of characters in an initial realm and then create a totally different realm (different maps, town names, encounters, etc.) but would like to be able to use some or all of the characters I've put into another realm will I be able to establish a link or will I have to manually copy/paste the information?

Another database linking question. As an example, if I'm working on worlds for a futuristic Sci-Fi and space travel game. Can I create each world as a separate database and then set up links to a campaign database? It would be nice, if I want to, to be able to create a world and recycle it through multiple campaigns or game systems without having to alter the initial detail if it is set up game system independently anyway.

I hope that makes sense.
Viking2054 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 15th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I believe one of the things on the to-do list is the ability to copy data between realms.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 15th, 2014, 05:36 PM
There is one database with all of your realms in it.

The example referenced of "Main Realm" and "Derived Realm" is, I think, of sharing your own content from one of your Realms to another.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old April 16th, 2014, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure I like the idea of a single database with all my realms in it. I'll make do if that is what I have to do.

However, I'd appreciate it if they considered the possibility of multiple databases, at least as an option. I'd like to keep my Star Wars content in a separate database from my Fate Core content, my Dungeons and Dragons content, my Pathfinder content, my Shadowrun content, or whatever other game system I am playing. I don't want to accidentally have content from one campaign spill into another.
Viking2054 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old April 16th, 2014, 05:09 PM
When you run a backup, you're only backing up the data for that realm. For example, if I have realms for fantasy, modern, supers, fantasy2, cyberpunk, and mecha.

If you back up your realms, you'd end up with several files - fantasy.realm, modern.realm, supers.realm, fantasy2.realm, cyberpunk.realm, and mecha.realm.

As for some of the other, take a look at this from rob:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The answer there was that a "copy" would mostly contain "pointers" linking back to the original Realm. If you don't change something in the new (copy) Realm, the data is not stored in the new Realm. If you do make a change, then that change is stored in the new Realm and replaces the information for that game. For example, perhaps the Individual listed as leader of a group is replaced as your game plays out; in the original Realm it was "Michael Lord".. now, in that new Realm, it has been changed to "Cynthia Masters". Your original Realm is unchanged, but in your new Realm, the change made there replaces original information.

rob:
This is exactly correct. Everything in the derived realm would start out as a reference to the master realm. The moment you change something in the derived realm, that information is forked off and modified locally to the derived realm, effectively eliminating the "pointer" and replacing it with new information.

Source: http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....2&postcount=27

Note that one of the suggestions is to create a "template" or pristine copy of your world and never customize it, then when you want to run a campaign simply copy it and start your campaign with it.
enrious is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 16th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
I'm not sure I like the idea of a single database with all my realms in it. I'll make do if that is what I have to do.

However, I'd appreciate it if they considered the possibility of multiple databases, at least as an option. I'd like to keep my Star Wars content in a separate database from my Fate Core content, my Dungeons and Dragons content, my Pathfinder content, my Shadowrun content, or whatever other game system I am playing. I don't want to accidentally have content from one campaign spill into another.
I ... ummm ... whut? That's not how databases work. Data doesn't simply spill over from one part of a database to another.
EightBitz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old April 16th, 2014, 05:19 PM
In theory, there are ways that it could happen, but you're generally talking database corruption and frankly, you would have bigger concerns.
enrious is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 16th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post

It's all about how you look at it. The Realm Works server is one giant database with everyone's realms on it. Your database file on your computer contains all of your realms in one file. Your individual realms contain only the data that you enter into them. If you don't want Chocolate in your Peanut Butter, just don't put it there. Keep them as separate realms and they will remain that way.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 16th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrious View Post
In theory, there are ways that it could happen, but you're generally talking database corruption and frankly, you would have bigger concerns.
In theory. In reality - Incredibly unlikely. If you have database corruption to the extreme that is causing that level of spill over, that could even happen with multiple databases (since even with multiple databases, they would be on the same database server, and you'd have to create a cross database access)

I think the real problem, no offense intended to the Viking 2054, is I get the impression he or she has never worked with professional level (relational or even NoSQL) databases. And too many programs and programmers say the word database, when its not what they mean (for example whenever I hear people talk about database, and I learn they actually mean a flat file, or even worse, a CSV file) I cringe. This isn't Viking 2054's fault... its the fact that too many people use the word database when it really isnt that so too many people have dealt with issues that aren't about databases.

A relational database is a collection of data organized in such a way for fast and efficient searches, updates, deletes, inserts, etc. Generally its server based, and there is a good reason for these tables, views, etc, to existing on a single database. Performance. Which is the main reason to also split them to another database, when needed: performance.

Reasons to separate things into separate databases are things such as:

- the STRUCTURE of one database needs to be different than another. Since we're not talking content, but structure, this would not be the case for Realms Works.

- the database can only handle so much information (you sometimes see this with cheap web hosting companies, and I hope/doubt this is going to be the case with RealmsWorks... i guess we shall see?)

- one application needs to access an entirely different set of tables that another application will never access, and for performance reasons, to split into multiple databases makes sense

- same structure, but splitting into different instances for performance reasons.

On our individual side ("OUR" databases), it would make no sense to split into 4 or 5 or 6 databases. It would require (in theory) multiple connections to different databases, and would make things such as copying from one realm to another, VERY much a pain.

On the cloud side, I could see the potential need for multiple databases only if performance becomes a concern, but this has nothing to do with your data, but to ensure the many users that are using the cloud at once can do so, it might make sense to split into multiple databases... maybe theyve done that, maybe they havent. But that isnt something for us to even worry about, that is something for Rob and his team to ensure that the cloud is responsive. This gets into large technical issues that none of us who dont work for Lone Wolf can comment on in anything more than a theoretical way.

Last edited by mirtos; April 16th, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
mirtos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old April 16th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Heh, I was weighing whether or not to get into the difference between tables and databases and pointing out that from a certain vantage point, realms seem to be like tables and there's a whole host of reasons why that makes sense and almost none why it doesn't, but then I discarded it because I figured it'd be too technical.
enrious is offline   #10 Reply With Quote