Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 23rd, 2019, 08:19 PM
I've never really gotten around to ursinho the program, I'll admit. I might have to give it a go, see if it might help with my M&M Freedom City game.
Duggan is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 23rd, 2019, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I'll feel even better about a subscription when the Web viewer is available. I would hope that I could have a DM subscription that would allow me to make the content available on the Web site without my players having to have a player license.
This. So much this. I don't see my players paying. It will be something I will need to cover, at least initially. And it will be more work for me as the DM to make my content suitable and useful for them.

But the subscription at this point for me enables the ability to move between pcs. That's pretty much it.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old March 24th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This. So much this. I don't see my players paying. It will be something I will need to cover, at least initially. And it will be more work for me as the DM to make my content suitable and useful for them.
So much more of this. It's hard enough to get them to use anything even if you buy it yourself. Having them be able to take a quick look online, at what you made visible for them before the game would be awesome.
Gord is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old March 24th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Everything for me, is within a single realm.
Ualaa is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Nyarlathotep

Old March 24th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Has there been talk of how the subscription is going to work? Is it based on number of realms, size of data or just time frame?
Nyarlathotep is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 24th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
Has there been talk of how the subscription is going to work? Is it based on number of realms, size of data or just time frame?
They haven't published details.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old March 24th, 2019, 12:43 PM
I would like to see subscriptions as OPTIONAL. I'm not sure if this option is really on the table, or whether subscriptions for everyone is inevitable.

I understand that Realms have a cloud sync feature. This costs Lone Wolf money, and it's understandable they can't provide this feature for free. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable subscription cost to maintain my Realms.

I actively use the sync feature, and I love it. I frequently write into Realm Works on my laptop, but when we game I'm using my desktop. It's really nice being able to sync my realms between my multiple machines.

Some users I'm sure are NOT using it this way. They have one computer. For these folks, I think it'd be reasonable to disable the sync feature if they don't want to subscribe. They'd need to backup / import their realms manually as a consequence.

It will come down to cost, ultimately... I haven't seen a price estimate.

Something like $5 per month for up to 5 Realms, or $10 a month for unlimited Realms I'd think would be reasonable? Maybe a budget option of $3 for one Realm.
Murrdox is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 24th, 2019, 01:27 PM
There are other threads from several years ago which contained discussions about subscriptions. Until LWD publish some firm prices we won't know what the options are.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 24th, 2019, 03:04 PM
In my case - if only own data is entered and used - the synching is not really necessary. In fact I am currently using it as it is for free, but even the bandwidth wasted over the net is unecessary. I have a NAS at home which stores a synched master realm. It would be really cool if I just could use that master realm on another computer. However I already proposed to do that, and there was a LWD response saying that this would be really discouraged to do, since the master realm file would trigger some server processes each time the host changes (if I remember correctly).

Therefore if I would follow the suggested way I have to do it the most complicated way possible "backup" save , "restore".

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 24th, 2019, 03:50 PM
I only use my own data and sync a lot. I do data entry on 3 computers, my home machine, my work one and my laptop. I usually run games from my personal desktop but there are times I run the game at someone else's home and use the laptop. Just for the convenience factor alone syncing through their servers is worth some nominal fee.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote