Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FreakFire74

Old February 24th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Hi there,

I am a happy user of RL and I've recently been looking at HL. I bought it after seeing Joshua Plunkett's videos and I like it a lot.

What would make it even better for me is if monsters would have a randomly rolled number of hitpoints (instead of the standard amount) when they are added to the portfolio. I know I can adjust them, but atm I've been using Improved Initiative and it rolls HP for monsters when I add them to the encounter and I really like the idea of monsters having a different amount of HP.

Not the biggest or most important request, but I would enjoy it a lot.

Mike
FreakFire74 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 24th, 2017, 04:53 PM
I'll post my work around for this.

IMO managing locations of specific models on the table against their specific HP pools is a pain in the ass.

Therefore I don't do it.

As my players deal damage they call out what type of creature they are attacking and I apply the damage in the combat manager to one of those creatures. I just pick one at random.

As the combat continues this keeps happening regardless of which specific creature is actually being hit.

Note: I do this is group damage situations, if the whole party was targeting one creature then all damage would go against a single creature.

The result of this is I ultimately get the selected creature wrong a few times. I always remove the damage from a creature of that type though so effectively I am using the HP pool of the entire group of creatures to manage the combat. From the player perspective is some monsters are stronger than others while others are weaker. It make's combat last a bit longer which I find necessary as I have 8 players at my table.

It's much easier to manage this way IMO than attempting to keep track of the location of specific creatures. The game flows alot better.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old April 5th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
Hi there,

I am a happy user of RL and I've recently been looking at HL. I bought it after seeing Joshua Plunkett's videos and I like it a lot.

What would make it even better for me is if monsters would have a randomly rolled number of hitpoints (instead of the standard amount) when they are added to the portfolio. I know I can adjust them, but atm I've been using Improved Initiative and it rolls HP for monsters when I add them to the encounter and I really like the idea of monsters having a different amount of HP.

Not the biggest or most important request, but I would enjoy it a lot.

Mike
+1 for this request. I like to roll HP for each mob if I can, just to keep the players guessing. I'll say things like "Goblin 1 looks much beefier than the rest" or whatever to indicate some variation. I don't think it is that hard to apply damage to "goblin #5" than to "random goblin". Should be able to check a box somewhere to "roll hit points when importing monsters" or something.
Conandy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote