Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FreakFire74

Old December 29th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Hello!

I just got RW yesterday and I'm quite baffled by all the features.. I am currently experimenting by using our current campaign location (the Forgotten Realms city of Baldur's Gate) and adding that to the Story Almanac.. So far, I really like what I'm seeing.. Next week I will probably try to include RW in my gaming group..

Anyways, a couple of questions:

1) I want to sink my teeth into using RW for an upcoming dungeon.. but I really don't know where to start.. Is there some sort of guide or tutorial? I have watched the basic tutorial but it's quite short and it doesn't really explain how I could add and reveal multiple rooms.. I'd love to reveal certain parts of the map to the players while they are exploring the dungeon..

2) Speaking of player maps.. I have made a map of Baldur's Gate and added a few shops and inns.. I can see them on the player map but I cannot select the pins or even use them for anything.. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the software!

Mike
FreakFire74 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old December 29th, 2014, 09:55 PM
> I want to sink my teeth into using RW for an upcoming dungeon.. but I really don't know where to start..

Welcome to the forum! Yes, there is some information you can find! There are a few official presentation videos on youtube, that show off features and give you a glimpse on some existing structures.
There are also a few unofficial videos there, that explain for example how you could use story boards.

Additionally, you could access the manual within Realmworks after you have created and opened a Realm. Go to "help" -> Manual. All these PDFs are interesting, but you could open them one by one and skim through the sections that interest you most. Some parts of the manual are yet to be completed though. But for a start this is more than enough I believe

Lastly, just try it out. Start small and see if your way of organisiation works. I created data and later found out that I would like to do differently. But this will come up after a while...

> I'd love to reveal certain parts of the map to the players while they are exploring the dungeon..

Use the "adventure area" topic for it and create it. Add for each important room a scene topic that you contain within the adventure area. Within those scene topics you can add all information, or create more links, contained topics oer structure it differently. You can customize it as you see fit.
Save all topics and go back to the adventure area. You can use the map snippet in there (smart picture) to add your map in there. There are also "simple picture" snippets but these cannot be used for pins/reveal.

Then Open the smart map object, either directly in the snippet or via the "link" on the right side (right click ->open in new tab). There you can edit your smart art.

At the moment you have to reveal the smart art "live" so you cannot pre-reveal certain parts of the dungeon, but you have several brushes available. You can also reveal the whole image and hide the "secret spots" if it's an outdoor map for example. You can try out the various functions there.

Right click on the map to place / edit / move pins. You can link these pins to other topics and use the map for navigation. Initially it is helpful to link each scene topic to a corresponding pin.

> Speaking of player maps.. I have made a map of Baldur's Gate and added a few shops and inns.. I can see them on the player map but I cannot select the pins or even use them for anything.. What am I doing wrong?

Did you use the smart art snippet or simple picture snippet?
Acenoid is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old December 30th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
> Speaking of player maps.. I have made a map of Baldur's Gate and added a few shops and inns.. I can see them on the player map but I cannot select the pins or even use them for anything.. What am I doing wrong?

Did you use the smart art snippet or simple picture snippet?
I used the 'place pin' option from the small toolbar while I was in the city map:

1) I clicked 'place pin'.

2) In the 'Edit Pin' window I edited the pin and associated it with the 'place' that I'd already made for the building (a tavern)..

3) On my map it shows as a red pin with a yellow square tucked behind it.. I right clicked 'reveal pin'.. The associated contents were already revealed earlier..

4) I right clicked the map, selected 'show in player view' but when it switched to player view I can see all the pins, but I cant select or mouse-over them.. they are yellow pins with a black dot in them..
FreakFire74 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old December 30th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Odd, I wrote an extensive reply to the rest of your message but it still needs moderation.. but my other message did show up..
FreakFire74 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old December 30th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Many thanks for the reply, Acenoid!

This will surely help me to start off with a bang! Watched the Gencon seminars last night.. wanted to just take a quick look but ended up watching them all.. It really fired up my enthusiasm even more!

Just to make sure.. by revealing live you mean that if my players enter a dungeon I reveal rooms by hand, by using the brush? So, they start in a revealed room with three doors.. They enter the first one, I use the brush on my system to reveal the room, click reveal to players and they will see it on their map?

A related question: I've started experimenting with revealing areas on the go in player view (locally, so not linked to a second screen).. I noticed that the player view only updates the changes I've made if I close the player view and reselect 'show in player view'.. Then the changes show, but if I reveal another area and chose to reveal them they don't..

Just to make sure. This is what I'm currently doing:

1) I have a dungeon map with a starting room. I decide to reveal a new area. I click the green dot, and select an area (alternatively I could use the brush).

2) I immediately click 'reveal region'.

3) I right click on the map (the newly revealed area) and select 'show in player view'. However, on the player view no new area is visible..

4) If I close the player view and go back to the map and try to 'show in player view' again, it does show the revealed areas..

Thanks again!
FreakFire74 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old December 30th, 2014, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
Odd, I wrote an extensive reply to the rest of your message but it still needs moderation.. but my other message did show up..
Yeah, not sure why that happens sometimes. I deleted the dupe for you.
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old December 30th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Many thanks, Aaron.
FreakFire74 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old December 30th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I think I have answered my own question regarding the map updates.. Apparently I forgot saving the map reveal update..

Still not sure about the pins though!
FreakFire74 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 30th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
I think I have answered my own question regarding the map updates.. Apparently I forgot saving the map reveal update..

Still not sure about the pins though!
As you discovered, you have to save for the changes to appear. So it isn't quite "live" reveal as you will have a chance to review things before it is shown to players.

Player View is intended for viewing so the pins are not active in Player View. Also, it is assumed the Player View monitor may be in an awkward position so moving the mouse over the pins to show tooltips or click on one to navigate could be very difficult, so those things are not active in Player View. All of this is fully active in the main window on both the GM edition and the Player edition.
davidp is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old December 30th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks for clearing that out! Been working my way through the manuals and its all slowly falling into place.. i cant wait to try it out with my group..
FreakFire74 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote