Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MaxSupernova

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Okay, so here's the deal. I ranted in a thread earlier today about something in the program that frustrates me. A lot. I wasn't very nice.

I was reached out to by another RW employee who asked me to send her any other concerns that I had.

I started writing about my frustrations, and I started talking about how I'm cheesed off at the lack of core functionality that the program has when it's being sold, and blah de blah de blah. I got going really good. It was a real barn-burner of a note.

I started to list the core functionality that isn't working that I think should be.

And that's when I realized that every single thing that I was listing as nonfunctional or broken was pretty darned minor. There are some interface issues. There are some bugs that I find frustrating. There are some bugs that are really minor but bother me anyway.

But that's it. I opened up my realm and looked around for some deal-breaking core functionality that's not there or isn't working right (bugs aside). I couldn't find any. When I started making my list, there was nothing at all important on it.

I had let the trees of minor bugs and usability issues get in the way of the forest of a good set of features in a good program. I realized how much I have entered into the program and how useful it's been already.

I thought to myself "Wow. This thing is pretty darned good!"

So, I apologize to everyone here in the forum for the not-so-nice scene I caused.

I apologize specifically to Rob for tearing his head off when I was actually frustrated at a lot of other things. Thank you for trying to help so often.

I apologize to the RW coding and design team for implying (implying? heck, I flat out stated) that planning and design wasn't done properly. That must have been terrible to hear after the work you've put in.

I was a dick. Once I stepped back and really took a good hard look, I realized I don't have too much to complain about at all. My frustration with some small parts is a real insight into what does work. If those things are all I have to complain about, that's really good, because I'm a picky guy.

So, kudos to the RW team for creating a product that even I have a hard time bitching about. That's a good sign.
MaxSupernova is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 17th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Thank you for taking a moment to share this with us. And, for what it is worth, we are aware of the warts and would love to get them fixed as soon as possible. It just becomes a balancing act trying to determine what are the bits that need to be taken care of right away versus adding new features that we need to get down and in versus handling any crashes that might occur versus handling support cases coming in versus building a new release and getting in published...

Lots of stuff on all of our plates and lots of things we want to get into Realm Works with only a handful of us and only so many hours a day....

I, personally, want to get calendars out to everyone as soon as possible... And the player version... And the web access.... And the improvements to smart images... And.... I think I could go on for quite a while longer.....
davidp is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old April 17th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Some of the stuff I want is in the do later pile (and I do have a list, but I'm sure we all have our own needs)

But I think they have done an fantastic job to get this far, and I can use it in three fantasy games, a modern-sci-fi-fantasy hybrid and a sci-fi game.

Nothing they have done make any of these games work worse than the others.

And by being able to share concepts on building up campaigns I have had to do less work in game prep because of using this tool. Makes running five games a fortnight easier.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I also regret my pre-release comments. I neither expected nor intended to cause the ruckus I caused.

That poster (I don't remember his name, and I'm not going to bother looking it up) mentioned something about someone who was criticizing and is suddenly praising with less than one line of apology, or something like that. I'm paraphrasing. I haven't said much about my previous behavior, because, well, it was a sore point for everyone, and I didn't want to kick a dead horse. But if anyone else feels that way about me, then I offer this apology.

And I thank the staff and community for still welcoming me here.

So ... uhhh ... how 'bout those Packers ...
EightBitz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 18th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys!

Realm Works is a huge product with a zillion features, and this is V1.0. As such, there are lots of rough edges, and we'll be polishing those in parallel with bringing out the assorted features and enhancements we have planned. Hopefully, we've created a solid foundation to build upon and it's a diamond that we're polishing, in which case the product will just continue to get better.

<fingers crossed>
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old April 18th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I also regret my pre-release comments. I neither expected nor intended to cause the ruckus I caused.

That poster (I don't remember his name, and I'm not going to bother looking it up) mentioned something about someone who was criticizing and is suddenly praising with less than one line of apology, or something like that. I'm paraphrasing. I haven't said much about my previous behavior, because, well, it was a sore point for everyone, and I didn't want to kick a dead horse. But if anyone else feels that way about me, then I offer this apology.

And I thank the staff and community for still welcoming me here.

So ... uhhh ... how 'bout those Packers ...
Dang... I was actually starting to believe the apology... then you HAD to mention those dang PACKERS!! Boo hiss!!! Go VIKES!!!
Nikmal is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 18th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Dang... I was actually starting to believe the apology... then you HAD to mention those dang PACKERS!! Boo hiss!!! Go VIKES!!!
Thanks. Now I've got "Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam" running through my head.

Bloody earworms.
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bluephoenix

Old April 20th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Thanks guys!

Realm Works is a huge product with a zillion features, and this is V1.0. As such, there are lots of rough edges, and we'll be polishing those in parallel with bringing out the assorted features and enhancements we have planned. Hopefully, we've created a solid foundation to build upon and it's a diamond that we're polishing, in which case the product will just continue to get better.

<fingers crossed>
given the reactions of myself and my friends, you might be polishing the hope diamond of campaign software if the feature list even touches half the stuff on the planned list.

all of us can't wait for the player version to start using it heavily with the skype game we're currently running. (already works really well with screen share and player view)
Bluephoenix is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:53 PM
Do you all realize how rare it is to see this sort of string of posts on a forum? Everybody is literally apologizing to everybody for posts that in reality were nowhere near as offensive as I see everyday on non-gaming forums. As a Canadian, it's nice to see our culture spreading out into the gaming world if nothing else. :-)

Just another reason I love owning a game store and getting to deal with customers and suppliers of all kinds. 99.9% of the time, they are just like this.

Gord
Gord is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
drakahn99

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Do you all realize how rare it is to see this sort of string of posts on a forum? Everybody is literally apologizing to everybody for posts that in reality were nowhere near as offensive as I see everyday on non-gaming forums. As a Canadian, it's nice to see our culture spreading out into the gaming world if nothing else. :-)

Just another reason I love owning a game store and getting to deal with customers and suppliers of all kinds. 99.9% of the time, they are just like this.

Gord
i think people forgot a few months ago they were begging lwd to take our money n' shut up, and we didn't care that the state the program was in, they wisely delayed the program to work out some of the bugs and get some needed features in order to get it out to us as stable as possible.
drakahn99 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote