Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

iceniqueen

Old May 16th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Can you no longer get the classic version of Hero Lab for Pathfinder 1st Ed? I have some new players that loved HL when I should it to them, but they don't want to have to keep paying for the Online version every 6 months or so. I know I refuse to go that route, as it means I know have to pay every few months for something I can use on my PC/Laptop (2 licenses)
iceniqueen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ploturo

Old May 16th, 2022, 03:46 PM
I think the only option for new classic licenses for Pathfinder 1E is to buy the "Standard HLO + Classic" ($9.99) and the Pathfinder 1E game ($24.99) on the hybrid store page:

https://www.lonewolfdevel.com/Products/Hero-Lab-Hybrid

The classic license still continues after the 6 months of online is over, but the classic license is only a one device license instead of the two that are included with the other classic game systems which aren't compatible with HLO. Presumably you can still add an additional classic device license to one of those accounts for $9.99, just like you can for the original classic licenses?

The benefit of HLO is that purchased books can be shared with other players' accounts if they are part of the campaign. With classic, each player who has their own account needs to buy all the books they want to use for themselves, which adds up to a lot of money spent that could have easily paid for years of more HLO.

The big drawback of HLO is that no new user-created content can be made for your campaign and none of the existing community data files can be used, since it doesn't support the editing capabilities that Classic has.
ploturo is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
iceniqueen

Old May 16th, 2022, 05:40 PM
But owning all the classic books and some extra's don't I have to buy all those again for HLO?
iceniqueen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ploturo

Old May 16th, 2022, 06:00 PM
I'm not 100% sure of the details since I don't use HLO, but there was an option to migrate previously purchased 1E books from Classic to HLO for something like $20-$25. I'm assuming it is still there?

If you log into your Lone Wolf store account, I think the migration option should show up as something to purchase in the hybrid store?
ploturo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old May 17th, 2022, 01:27 AM
From the LW Store: "For new users, Hybrid games include both the Online service and a Classic license, with all content unlocked on both platforms. For existing Classic users, Hybrid games offer the option of adding the Online service or simply unlocking new content for the Classic platform alone. At any point where the Online service is added, all content previously unlocked becomes immediately available on the new platform, as well."

It looks like new users have no choice but to buy Hybrid. (So the HLO 6 months & PF1) If you don't want HLO, then just use Classic. Any books/packages you buy in one will be available in the other (since you paid the Migration fee) - you don't buy twice.
Classic should still have the two device licenses that it used to have.

If you already have Classic, the $10 migration fee COPIES everything you have to HLO and a purchase of something in HLO gets you the same for Classic and vise versa.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 17th, 2022, 08:37 AM
Hey there folks,

Let me see if I can help clear things up just a bit and dispel some of the confusion.

For any users who do not already have a License for PF1 from the time prior to the release of the system within Hero Lab Online, the purchase of the system does indeed now require you add this to your Account/License as a Hybrid product and to either already have a current Standard (or Patron) service package or to purchase it alongside the PF1 Hybrid product game system.

For any customers who DO own the PF1 system for Hero Lab Classic alone (those users who purchased it before it was converted into a Hybrid game system that works for both Classic and Online ecosystems) the cost to upgrade that Classic License so that it works with Hero Lab Online is only $10 USD for the Migration. Now, this Migration is contingent on having an active Standard (or Patron) service package for Hero Lab Online so first-time buyers would need to buy some service time but anyone who had already enrolled in that service for PF2/Starfinder/SR6 needs not add more service time.

Performing the PF1 Migration upgrade to your License and Account will bring everything that is functionally accessible from the License into Hero Lab Online and it is a continual upgrade which means that any add-ons you buy for PF1 afterward will be reflected on both the Classic software License as well as within the Online web-app.

Additionally, it is worth mentioning that no matter how you decide to handle the Online service component in the future the Classic License and content associated with it will always be valid and it is in no way tied to the service time balance. On top of that, should you let the Online service time expire you will also still be able to log into the web-app in order to open, view, and print off the stuff you've already made there or otherwise imported from the Classic software via the Import .por file functionality?

Now, there is one current limitation on what is functionally copied over from the Classic License and it relates to the various Encounter Libraries that exist for Hero Lab Classic such as the varying Adventure Paths, Modules, and even things like the Summoner's Sidekick given that we do not yet have a functional way to organize, display, or import that data is a way that plays nice with the GUI and the shared content functionality of the Online service.

In short, to answer OP's question: While you cannot simply add the PF1 system so that it is only added to the Classic software at this point you do not need to worry about continually renewing an Online service package in order to retain rights to the purchase if you don't find the Online component suits your needs very well.

Thanks!

--
Ryan Furnas
Customer/Technical Support
<support@wolflair.com>
Ryan F is offline   #6 Reply With Quote