Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

immotus

Old April 29th, 2014, 01:08 AM
I really want to like this thing.. really. I'm afraid, however, that I find it

overly complicated, overwhelmingly disarrayed, extremly user UNfriendly, and lacking the one thing, THE ONE THING MOST NEEDED by game masters in the 21st century; Procedural content generation for the ambient world in general.

Now, I'm not talking about dynamic, off the cuff, realtime content generation. I just mean a system of configurable randomizers that can be used to create the ambient game world.

What is the ambient game world you say?

It's lots of things. A street full of people, a shelf full of books, a store full of goods, George the drunken town guard who is otherwise unimportant.

I'd be happy if there were ways to hook up the topics to 3rd party generators I could configue myself but, nope.

And, btw, have you people ever looked in a campaign sourcebook? You should check out the heirarchy sometime, it's been pretty much unchanged for 30 years. Now, I'm sorry but you need to let ME configure a heirarchy the way I want it, not have to wrestle for hours with I don't know what. I might keep trying to use this thing but, honestly, it's a disappointment. And, NO, I don't wnat my money back, I want a campaign manager that organizes things the way I WANT them organized. One that has procedural generators for all the crap I don't feel like making up so that I can concentrate on the good stuff.

Don't look like we are ever going to get that manager.
immotus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM
On the automated stuff, I agree.. it would definitely make the product better. but i dont think its the one thing that everyone needs. That beign said, I disagree on the hierarchy point. You can configure it how you want.

I disagree that the one thing that is needed by GM's in the twenty first century is all the random generators. For example, in my world, its less needed. It depends on the style of the game.
mirtos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM
3rd party generators?

Give me an example of one, and I'll walk you through setting up a Foreign Field so that when you click on it, it opens up this generator.

I do have ulterior motives, I need more tools!!!!

For example if want RW to play a sound, click the entry (mine opens VLC, my media player of choice), it opens up my media player and plays my effect.

I'd love to test if this would work with the 3rd party tools you've mentioned!!!!

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter

Last edited by BoomerET; April 29th, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
BoomerET is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:06 AM
The problem with many generators, for example, is not everyone plays Pathfinder, or D20, or whatever.

That being said, Im planning on writing a bunch and see if I can give them to the LW team. (for us d20 players who are still out there)
mirtos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I really think you need to calm down a bit and post some more concrete examples of what you are talking about with the hierarchy.

One of the strengths of RealmWorks is that it has a half dozen ways to do anything. If you are complaining that RW won't let you configure your hierarchy the way you want, you just haven't read the instructions, or used the help, or watched the very helpful tutorial videos.

Organization and campaign structure in RealmWorks is *so* personalizable that it's often difficult to know where to start.

Seriously, give it a bit of time. Something this huge can't be grasped in one "click around and play with it a bit" session.
MaxSupernova is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Regarding George:

Masks will be incorporated into RW, it was one of the Stretch Goals of the Kickstarter.

Don't know what Masks is??
http://www.enginepublishing.com/mask...leplaying-game

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:38 AM
I don't see generators as a must-have part of this tool. I have generators galore in books and online, not sure why they should be recreated as campaign content, they're generators. A link should be fine.

As for a random generator for an example, here's O.G.R.E at enworld. It's a whole system for generating and sharing generators.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/dnd_portal.php

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 29th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immotus View Post
overly complicated, overwhelmingly disarrayed, extremly user UNfriendly,
I'm sorry you don't like it, but there's no way for us to agree, disagree, or offer suggestions without knowing what problems you've had. Details! :(

Quote:
and lacking the one thing, THE ONE THING MOST NEEDED by game masters in the 21st century; Procedural content generation for the ambient world in general.
I'd have to disagree. Since I stepped behind the GM screen again two years ago I haven't felt any need for what you're describing here. I just make things up as we go or we handwave them. There's a limit on how much detail is needed based on your GMing style, your players, and the type of campaign.

Having generators available as plug-ins or calls to web services or whatever would be cool, though.

Quote:
And, btw, have you people ever looked in a campaign sourcebook? You should check out the heirarchy sometime, it's been pretty much unchanged for 30 years.
Lists of places, people, and specialized mechanics? Seems like there's spots for all that stuff.

It would be neat if we could customize the high-level groups. While we can't right now, you can still make whatever hierarchy you want if you'd like: create a topic named "My World" or whatever, give everything in the Almanacs a Containing Topic under it, and make sure that Show Containing Topic Hierarchy (in the Navigation Pane Options menu, F6) is turned on. Then you can create whatever hierarchy you want.

Last edited by Parody; April 29th, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old April 29th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Help me understand why you want a random generator crafting your world? What's the point of creating a world then? There are already generators for NPC's and other things out there.
KefkaZ is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 29th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I sometimes use generators to generate tavern names. As you craft a world, sometimes random generators can be used to build things... they can be useful. as you mentioned, there are already generators out there, it would be nice to include them, but i look at it as a nice to have.
mirtos is offline   #10 Reply With Quote