Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JackOfAllGames

Old March 6th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
A T1 connection is limited to only 1.5Mb/s download, which is horrifically slow by today's standards.
Wow, I wasn't really thinking of that. I still remember a T1 being the dream. I guess it really isn't anything special nowadays. Good point.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; March 6th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 6th, 2014, 01:49 PM
that was in the day when we had 14.4 or worse modems
mirtos is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old March 6th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
I'm in Montana. We have the slowest internet speeds in the country. I can tell you now there is no issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
On topic: I do tend to forget that there are still many areas of the country that lack decent internet...
You guys, you maybe need to think a little bigger than "the country". Gaming is an international hobby and RW is an international product, even if limited to audiences who speak English (I have no idea what translations LWD do or don't have/plan). There is quite the variety of internet speed and quality to be had out there.

Fox Lee, The Art Gremblin
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
The Square Fireball - Where it's 4th Edition Forever
Skies of Escarnum - Inclusive anime-flavoured 4e campaign world
HeroLab 4e patch contributor
Fox Lee is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
You guys, you maybe need to think a little bigger than "the country". Gaming is an international hobby and RW is an international product, even if limited to audiences who speak English (I have no idea what translations LWD do or don't have/plan). There is quite the variety of internet speed and quality to be had out there.

Obviously everything I'm mentioning here is theoretical, as I'm not associated with the company. With that said, here are my two cents: If LW wants to make it easier for other people, mirror sites and streamed downloads are probably the way to go. International presents a bigger issue if you wanted to talk about software and shipping media. Download makes much more sense for software these days. Since the money is made from the registering and not the cost of the software (if im correct) then there are plenty of places that downloads can be put to make it more mirrored) and allow updates to happen through WL's site. (I hope updates are done via patches and not full size downloads)

Last edited by mirtos; March 6th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
mirtos is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mead

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
I can guarantee Montana is slower than most places in other countries too. The speed here is barely useful for anything. It's funny, we are not technologically backward in the least... sometimes we put GPS on our llamas ... but that is one of the things we really have poor quality of. I live in the 3rd largest urban area of the state, and my old internet in Florida several years ago makes this look like 56k.

The fact is I have had no problems of that end of things despite that. Downloading new updates to Hero Lab.. that can be an issue at times.

Last edited by Mead; March 6th, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Mead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mead

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracarius View Post
You should try out our company network. a 2.5mb download has taken us 24 hours to download. And that's on what they claim is a T1 line. Oh, did I mention I work at a high end electronic store. (Ironic isn't it?)
They seem to have something going on with their lines. Yeah, that is just horrible.

I loved moving here. I never want to live anywhere else. I can see Glacier National Park from my window, and I go the 8 miles to the park on a regular basis to read with my iPad... but man... internet speeds here just suck. Sadly, the gaming situation here also sucks. So generally I just read and do things outdoors.

I have an acquaintance that moved to Ghana. He talks about how bad the internet is there. But even he says it is a bit better than Montana.

Last edited by Mead; March 6th, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Mead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
sometimes we put GPS on our llamas
This made me laugh aloud. Thank you for that.
liz is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Mead

Old March 7th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
This made me laugh aloud. Thank you for that.
Heh, this is off-topic obviously... but when I moved up here I had no idea llamas were so common. Apparently they breed like rabbits, so people give them away rather than sell them. I am actually getting two this summer. Our local police blotter is chock full of escaped llama articles. Alpacas too... we have tons of alpacas here.

Back on topic. My point is while there is nothing wrong with having a disk version... Lone Wolf does a pretty good job of making the download a snap.
Mead is offline   #18 Reply With Quote