Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

immotus

Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:58 PM
This thing has a terrible user interface. There's no doubt some of the ideas behind it are very good but it's presentation to the user needs a lot of work. It's not very intuitive. And, it is too busy. They need to let the user CHOOSE the focus.
immotus is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immotus View Post
This thing has a terrible user interface. There's no doubt some of the ideas behind it are very good but it's presentation to the user needs a lot of work. It's not very intuitive. And, it is too busy. They need to let the user CHOOSE the focus.
They DO let you choose your own focus. One of several ways to do it. Immotus, you really NEED to read the documentation that comes with this and watch the videos!!
They give you a lot of information on how to do things in Realm Works. Right now the user interface is fine and I was able to firgure things out fairly fast just by clicking around. But this IS a database program so the degree of difficulty is going to be a little on the difficult side of things. But it is up to YOU as a user to watch the videos and read the documentation. All of which have tons of information on RW!!
Nikmal is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
Its hard to be constructive when everyone is ganging up on you. This is true for both users and developers.

Its hard to take criticism fairly. Its especially hard when it doesn't seem constructive.

My point is this:

1. immotus - try to lay out exactly what you dont like, and how you wish it were different rather than a general complaint.
2. everyone else - keep in mind, immotus paid money for a product he (or she) doesn't feel is up to their standards. Thats a fair statement from anyone.

No need for anyone to be defensive.

Last edited by mirtos; May 2nd, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
mirtos is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
morkalg

Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:35 AM
For random generators you guys should check out Inspiration Pad Pro from NBOS. You can make a generator for just about anything and them using then link to it within Realm Works.
morkalg is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:39 AM
mirtos,

Very well said.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I was trying to come up with something constructive, but it always came out sounding nasty and condescending, so I opted instead to take my mothers advice. "If you can't say something nice..."

So thanks for doing what I was unable to.

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:44 AM
morkalg,

Might want to mention that Inspiration Pad Pro is FREE.
(and brought to you by the same people that brought us Fractal Mapper, which I use alongside Campaign Cartographer)

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:30 PM
Just as an FYI, when people come to the defense of Realm Works it is because they do not want to see it come in to a bad light because of possible ignorance in it's use. We here are all passionate about RW for a reason. It is difficult to see someone speak ill of it and not defend it with all of the passion we can.

We all know that there is a bit of a learning curve with this software, but it also comes with the material to overcome that learning curve if they actually use it. If a person comes here especially after being told about the manual AND the videos... and complains that it is to hard to use or it can't be done because it lacks focus.. Well expect the flames to get at least a little hot
Nikmal is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
morkalg

Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:36 PM
Something I've done is make templates. Say for instance I'm generating a scene and there is always information that I will use but a lot of snippets or sections that I won't... I make one "blank" scene that only contains what I want, then I duplicate it and fill it out the way I want.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

It takes a little bit of setup but once that's done making new scenes is a breeze. This procedure works for almost any type of information in Realm Works.
morkalg is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:51 PM
Defense of the product is one thing. Attacking the user is another. Just my two cents. I get passion. We're all passionate about this, especially when it comes to our game.

But, personally, as a software developer, all complaints can be valid. Even if someone doesnt read the documentation or watch the tutorials. Obviously, I cannot speak for LWD.

Last edited by mirtos; May 3rd, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
mirtos is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Mirtos,
Being in IT myself I kn ow about complaints and the like and the value they provide when trying to fix things that crop up. As a developer I know it is tough too. But one also has to remember that text does not convey emotion very well. I am not attacking anyone... I am speaking or rather typing passionately and if anything speaking out of frustration not anger. I am trying to get through to the OP that it is easy or ALOT easier if the documentation was used and or even using the tutorial videos.

Database software is not easy to use for a reason. It has a lot of complicated parts. By it's very nature it has to be complicated. With that being said... this is by far the easiest and intuitive database software I have ever used. I used a lot of them. Realm Works shows us how a databased software could and should be for all of us.

If you think I am attacking the user/OP then let me apologize to both you and him. As I am not. But on the same token... the OP should be aware that there is a means to use this software and coming in to a forum about said product and starting a thread such as this one with out actually doing at least a little research in to how to use said software should expect some a little heat coming from the posters.
Nikmal is offline   #30 Reply With Quote