Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobyluv View Post
I agree, the big question is, which VTT works best with RW? For that matter, which campaign mappers compliment RW best?
It doesn't have VTT integration. As far as campaign mappers, you could use any image map file. I use Fractal Mapper, and have played with putting in maps exported from that (image file) as well as maps right out of gaming PDFs. RW lets you annotate images within the tool, so you can really take any map image and then add your content to it with pins and selectively reveal sections of the map in the player view. Simple, but powerful, since it lets you tie in any map to your content.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
woobyluv

Old March 24th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I think you misunderstand my question. I know VTT is not integrated with RW; I don't even want that. I am asking what VTT compliments RW best. Which Mapping software compliments the capabilities of RW best? I'd like to hear about different ones that are affordable (~$30) or free.
woobyluv is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 24th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I dont know if it "compliments" Realms Works or not, but Im a big fan of Maptools. Its free, configurable. Java based. Its easy to plug and play images, and control even certain campaign settings. In this way, I feel it does compliment Realms Works (though Ive heard other people on these forums say it doesnt, so your mileage may vary)

It has some of the best light and VBL (Vision Blocking Layers) out there. in some ways since each has its own fog of war, I could see it complimenting RW. RW for the big campaign maps, and MT for the individual VTT things.

The only thing about it: it uses a fair amount of memory for the server (the GM runs the server and the players connect to it). I still use it even for my in person game. (one computer for the GM view, and one computer for the player view) Also, as far as I can tell, theres no more development on it. The reason I like it over something like D20pro is that YOU get to run the server, and arent dependent on external websites.

Its a little more difficult when you are doing actual across the network games, but once you set up the proxy/pUNp, its easy to use.

I do most of my maps in either illustrator or CC3 and import them into Maptools and RW equally well.

Last edited by mirtos; March 24th, 2014 at 01:23 PM.
mirtos is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
woobyluv

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks mirtos, I'll look into those products and see if they fit my needs.
woobyluv is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 25th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Its actually "MapTool" so if you google it, google it that way. the organization is "RpTools" so that will help you google. (Id post a link, but that might be inappropriate here, even though its not a competing product)
mirtos is offline   #15 Reply With Quote