Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

raithe000

Old November 14th, 2021, 01:28 PM
I'm creating an archetype that gives a custom class alchemist casting, but with 1 less spell per day than usual. I've run into two problems:

First, I can't get diminished spellcasting working. When I enter the number of spells available in the spellcasting details section, it removes the 0 per day ones, which means that the archetype can't prepare spells in those slots even if the character has a high enough bonus to get bonus spells of that level. I've tried checking diminished spellcasting and giving an extra spell per level to fix it, but that doesn't work and I can't find an archetype that does this to copy.

Second, I can't get the starting spellbook to show up. I've copied an alchemist's and pointed the target to the new class, but it still doesn't pop up when I attempt to use it. I've searched the forums for answers, but other than that suggestion none of the posts go into details.

If anyone can help with either issue, I'd greatly appreciate it!
raithe000 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
raithe000

Old November 15th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Figured out the spell book issue, needed to add it under Spellbook Details in the Class Tab. Still would like help with the Diminished Spellcasting issue!
raithe000 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old November 16th, 2021, 03:33 AM
Have you looked at other archetypes that do similar spellcasting reductions?
Minous is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
raithe000

Old November 16th, 2021, 05:18 AM
Sorry, I just realized I wasn't specific enough. The archetype grants alchemist casting to a non-casting class. I can't find another archetype that does this, all of the ones that add casting don't add diminished spellcasting, and the archetypes that have diminished spellcasting just check the diminished spellcasting checkbox, so I can't see what's going on in the background to replicate it.
raithe000 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 16th, 2021, 07:31 AM
And after you add normal alchemist spellcasting and check diminished spellcasting on the archetype, what does that give you? Where does that combo break down?
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
raithe000

Old November 16th, 2021, 08:39 AM
If I add normal alchemist spells per day in the Spells Cast Per Level section, those are not reduced by diminished spellcasting. The number of spells cast is the same as the amount entered in Spells Cast per Level.

If I instead enter the lower number of spells (1 less than normal), there are no spell slots from bonus spells per day at the levels where the archetype would have 0 spells per day due to diminished spellcasting, but would still gain access to that spell level if they had a high enough attribute to gain bonus spells at that level.

If I just add alchemist to the Uses Which Spells field and check diminished spellcasting, I get no spellcasting at any level.
raithe000 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 16th, 2021, 09:11 AM
What value are you putting into the class level/spell level points where it has 0 spells, but is allowed to get bonus spells - those should have a value > 0, but < 1, like 0.1 if you want them to get bonus spells. I don't have the rules for diminished spellcasting handy, so I don't remember what that does to the bonus spell slots.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
raithe000

Old November 16th, 2021, 12:02 PM
Yep, works perfectly now that I've replaced the 0s with .5, thanks for the help!
raithe000 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote