Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Chemlak

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:40 AM
We've all been there. We've all done it. We've all asked "how do I do X?" On the forums. Or "why is Y not included?"

Well, now there is a solution. It's called "The Manual". Well, actually, it's called "The QuickStart Guide", "The Gamer Guide", "The Worldbuilder Guide", "The Reference", and "Tips & Tricks".

That's right, folks. LWD have written not one, but FIVE manuals for Realm Works. And they contain answers to your questions. Maybe not all of your questions, but lots of them.

So, this is my call, on behalf of Rob and everyone else at LWD*, to everyone: please read the documentation. To preserve Rob's sanity if nothing else (and to stop him writing forum posts with frowny faces and words like "frustrating" in them), we can help ourselves. Read the documentation. Print it out. Rub your face in it and tell it that you love it. Take it to bed (after wining and dining it, of course). Whatever works for you to really "get into" the documentation.

It's there to help.

*Chemlak is not in any way affiliated with Lone Wolf Development, has never even met Rob, and actually can't really do anything on their behalf. But he urges you to read the documentation anyway. Because it's clearly driving Rob nuts.
Chemlak is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old December 21st, 2014, 07:00 AM
I've been in IT for 25 years.

NOBODY reads anything, especially IT people.

Best example I have is when we made a small change to a university enrolment program. A student could have many enrolents but only one can be active at a time. What would happen is that the staff would open an inactive enrolment, do a lot of work on it and then save only to be told that the enrolment was inactive. Obvisouly, quite frustrating to do 5 minutes of data entry only to be told at the END that you can't save it.

So we made a small change: a popup would appear whenever an inactive enrolment was edited stating that the current enrolment was inactive and any changes could not be saved, please press any key to continue.

I kid you not, EVERY single faculty called, one after the other, asking what this new screen was and in EVERY case, they had not read the information. I literally told them "Read it me...ok, what do you think it means?...ok, what now? Yes, press any key to continue. My pleasure, have a nice day".

So yeah...the image below is true.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57355683.jpg (115.0 KB, 189 views)
Seregil is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old December 21st, 2014, 07:57 AM
What does RTFM mean? It should be more intuitive what that means. There's nowhere for me to look that up so I'm asking in the forums. Sure there's a link to section in the manual right in the program header, but I didn't read it. Stupid program is stupid and useless. Waste of my money. I'm telling all my friends how stupid this program is.

/s
MaxSupernova is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old December 21st, 2014, 09:22 AM
I am certain the previous post was made with tongue firmly in cheek!
Grey Mage is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old December 21st, 2014, 10:07 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but how do I create a new realm when I'm offline?
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old December 21st, 2014, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but how do I create a new realm when I'm offline?
I don't believe you can. I think you have to sync when first creating a realm, in order to reserve a spot on the server in case you ever want to share it, or something? Not really sure the exact reason.
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old December 21st, 2014, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I don't believe you can. I think you have to sync when first creating a realm, in order to reserve a spot on the server in case you ever want to share it, or something? Not really sure the exact reason.
Umm, thanks Aaron, but this was meant to be a "NOBODY reads the docs" joke. :-)
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 21st, 2014, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Me neither, Aaron; me neither. ;)

But in case someone searching ends up here: you must be online to create or delete a realm; the rationale is as Aaron said.

ObThread: Joke threads typically don't work, especially not in an On-Topic forum. It might be best to close and lock this and let it sink into the depths.

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old December 21st, 2014, 12:10 PM
Ah, it seems I am too short for this joke.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old December 21st, 2014, 02:30 PM
In certain parts of the internet, "/s" is the marker for "sarcasm".
MaxSupernova is offline   #10 Reply With Quote