Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

mirtos

Old May 10th, 2014, 08:40 AM
While the d20 system wont be changing, a lot of us still play.

There seems to be lots of work on the pathfinder, and I get that, and maybe from a business sense improving the d20 product doesnt make a lot of sense. I know the encounter builder went to d20, but it went to all systems. Id like to see improvement to the editor, which have happened in pathfinder.

Is the d20 support stuck? Or are we going to see work on it? If its stuck, please let us know.
mirtos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 10th, 2014, 10:19 AM
D20 ogl support is what it is. I'm not sure if Lone Wolf has an official license for 3.5, but anyone can do OGL content due to the OGL license. Pathfinder is "Officially Licensed" and is Paizo's "official" character builder, which is why most of the support goes into Pathfinder. Paizo releases a lot of content quickly and it needs to kept up with.

Also, just going to put this out there, d20 hasn't changed much, if at all, since 4e came out. So I'm not sure what, outside of epic level support, would be needed in these files?

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; May 10th, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 11th, 2014, 12:34 AM
You misunderstood. Im not asking for additional content. I fully understand that no content will be provided by LoneWolf. Im talking about features. The pathfinder editor is much more feature rich than the d20 editor. Now, granted SOME of these things come from more content, but other of these things come from better interfaces, and not the additional amount of data.

I was asking whether there would be improvements to the software on the D20 side, or if it was mostly dead.

The pathfinder show editor makes it much easier to put in custom content than the d20 show editor does.

Some other things that the Pathfinder version does thats all about UI of the software, skill shows you break down when you click on them. D20 calculates, but it doesnt tell you what its calculating, and sometimes its important to be able to double check.

Minor things, but all of these minor things do add up.

I also understand that because its the official editor of Paizo, Pathfinder is going to have to take priorirty, but I think my question if there will be improvements to the d20 product will happen - or if we are stagnant, and lone wolf doesnt find it economical to improve the d20 product -is still a valid question.

Last edited by mirtos; May 11th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
mirtos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 11th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I would very much like to see additional support for the d20 system, the pathfinder has a great deal more features, including deities, epic level casting and class advancement, perhaps built in monster advancer and tags to set "set up" at which level the monsters increase in size category.

On a side note, (and perhaps unrelated), there has been alot of talk on the Roll20.com forums that they may be working with hero labs for "importable" character sheets for their new version any word as to the truth of that? If so, that would be AWSOME!
TobyFox2002 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Epic level casting and perhaps class advancement would fall under "content", and i dont think we could see that. As would deities. only OGL could appear. But i would like to see some of the features that the pathfinder version of the program has. Since I've had both licenses, which has been about 2 years, maybe more, maybe less, I have seen improvements to the Pathfinder version outside of additional content, and very little similar improvement to the d20 version.

If the answer is "no", I'd just like to know. I know small companies have to make decisions, but id still like to know. Thanks.
mirtos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 11th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I disagree epic level falls under content, just set the system so that it doesn't give an error when you go beyond 20th caster level and add some math that calculates a continuing progression.

As for dieties being OGL... well thats where "User Content" Comes in same as all the rest.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bluephoenix

Old May 11th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see the support framework put in for the following list, and maybe some tidying up/porting of some of the improvements that were pioneered in pathfinder.
  • Deities
  • Epic Levels
  • Level Adjustment Buyoff
  • Custom Magic Items
  • Monster Advancement

even if there can't be any actual content included, there are enough of us working on it that we can rectify that in short order, but there are just some things that we can't do with the community set no matter how fancy we get because the program framework just doesn't support it.

I've been toying with some ideas that MAY make epic progression possible, inspired by sendric's hack-tastic method for making ToB ilevels work, but I promise nothing yet, and still have some other stuff on the list to do first.

edit: I'd also really, really like to see read-only support for D20 portfolios in the hero lab for ipad app. as it is I'm still printing out PDFs to take to the table every game I play in :/

Last edited by Bluephoenix; May 11th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
Bluephoenix is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 11th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
I disagree epic level falls under content, just set the system so that it doesn't give an error when you go beyond 20th caster level and add some math that calculates a continuing progression.

As for dieties being OGL... well thats where "User Content" Comes in same as all the rest.
TobyFox,

You cannot change the size of the arrays in hero lab through scripting. Part of the reason Epic Level support would be "new" content is because they'd have to add spell slots of 10th level or higher, which means altering the existing array limitation of 10 levels of spells. This cannot be done via scripts. I admit, some things can be done easily but there are hard coded changes that would have to be made for epic level support. Epic level spells would need a few new fields and tags (while tags can be added without too much trouble, I don't think fields can be done with xml work). You'd have to be able to set the spells as 10th level spells. You still need slots at higher levels to cover the metamagic adjustments epic level characters can do. Unless you're content without the ability to cast a maximized, extended chain lightning spell...

Pathfinder added new elements to the game which aren't part of the d20 system that you should bear in mind too. Alternate racial traits are wholly a pathfinder specific thing. Anytime a new thing like this is added to hero lab it requires the construction of a new component to handle it. That cannot be done from just the editor. It has to be done in xml. It could be done, but many of the epic level support issues would have to be addressed in xml.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I never said to use scripts, I said that all that would be needed is the math for the progression for the arrays. I would be happy if they made it so we continued to gain the epic progression for the 0-9 spells. And NOT an error about hitting the 20-th level cap.

As for 10th level and up spells... well that's another can of worms entirely. Useful for metamagics true (the only thing that I would truly, absolutely have to have), but much of the epic spells would be hard to implement, as they are often custom made spells based on spell seeds. You'd need to rely on the player to do the math and work out the epic spell details the old fashioned way... pen and paper.

I never mentioned racial traits.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 16th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of progress on d20. It's something I've wanted to devote some of our time to for a while, but unfortunately keeping up with Pathfinder and our other game systems has soaked up all of our time over the last couple of years.

While we're unable to provide any non-OGL content for d20 due to licensing restrictions, we do still want to continue development on it and add features like some of the ones you've been mentioning. We'll let everyone know when we have something to announce for that, although I'm not sure of the timescale at this point.

Sorry for the lack of movement on this game system - we're hoping to do better with it in future.
Colen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote