Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

daplunk

Old August 6th, 2018, 02:00 AM
Is there a spell selection panel?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old August 6th, 2018, 02:14 AM
Also, I've found some abilities like this:

Quote:
Lightning Flare (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). Each creature in contact with the ground within 15 feet of the bronze scout must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw, taking 14 (4d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
I've set those with a "1" per "/short rest" since there isnt a recharges after a short or long rest.
FreakFire74 is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old August 6th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Canolith has a ranged tongue attack that apparently uses STR bonus for damage. I cant get it to get the STR bonus. Finesse tag doesnt work. What am I doing wrong here?

I'm still confused by Reach attacks. I am now entering them as range attacks, so I can set a range, but I think this is incorrect. However, If Im entering them as other melee attacks I cannot set reach. This is one of the most commonly occuring problems I've run into so far (most of the creatures are large/huge so have larger reach)..

What are the tags/fields for reach?

Last edited by FreakFire74; August 6th, 2018 at 03:08 AM.
FreakFire74 is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old August 6th, 2018, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Is there a spell selection panel?
Just for DungeonGuru's reference: Josh suggested not adding spells with the spell list. They can be added by the DM while playing in HL.

On a sidenote, besides the reach example above, A, B and C are now finished. Onwards to D (which will take a long time since it has 24 monsters!

Last edited by FreakFire74; August 6th, 2018 at 03:14 AM.
FreakFire74 is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 6th, 2018, 03:15 AM
Correction. They are added by us but added in Hero Lab not the Hero Lab Editor. We add them when we create the monster for the *.stock file. This means that the DM can change the spells if they like but the defaults will be selected when you add the monster from the Encounter Builder.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 6th, 2018, 04:15 AM
Innate spells need to be added in the editor in order for the statblock to show up right.

They are controlled by adding the Innate Spellcasting bootstrap, the Spellcasting Attribute and the Innate Spells button. When you add spells with the Innate Spells button you should get prompted to add a Total Charges and Usage Period (like 1 and /day).

The other "Spellcasting" spells are added later in HL to the .stock file like Josh says. Using the Spellcasting bootstrap requires the Caster Level and Spell List. It might also require other tags, so is more of an advanced topic. I would just mark these for someone else to pick up until we can get a better tutorial for it.

There is a problem with adding both Spellcasting and Innate Spellcasting to the same creature if they have different casting attributes and I would suggest skipping those and letting someone with more experience doing them.
dungeonguru is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 6th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
Canolith has a ranged tongue attack that apparently uses STR bonus for damage. I cant get it to get the STR bonus. Finesse tag doesnt work. What am I doing wrong here?

I'm still confused by Reach attacks. I am now entering them as range attacks, so I can set a range, but I think this is incorrect. However, If Im entering them as other melee attacks I cannot set reach. This is one of the most commonly occuring problems I've run into so far (most of the creatures are large/huge so have larger reach)..

What are the tags/fields for reach?
I tried to explain before but if you are using the editor, when you add a Bite or Other MElee attack, you'll see # DIce, Dice # sides, Attack Modifier, Damage Modifier, Override Damage, Attack Effect, Reach, Target, Save DC Ability, Resist Ability, and On-hit effects in addtion to the 4 buttons (Cond., Copy, Fields, Tags).

Where the Reach field is you usually can type in reach numbers like 5, 10, 15.

This translates to the field id: wReach

As far as getting STR to be used as the damage, I think you can use the weapon tag wProperty.Thrown, but I'm not 100%, you can always simulate this by directly manipulating the Damage Modifier field.
dungeonguru is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old August 6th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
I tried to explain before but if you are using the editor, when you add a Bite or Other MElee attack, you'll see # DIce, Dice # sides, Attack Modifier, Damage Modifier, Override Damage, Attack Effect, Reach, Target, Save DC Ability, Resist Ability, and On-hit effects in addtion to the 4 buttons (Cond., Copy, Fields, Tags).

Where the Reach field is you usually can type in reach numbers like 5, 10, 15.

This translates to the field id: wReach

As far as getting STR to be used as the damage, I think you can use the weapon tag wProperty.Thrown, but I'm not 100%, you can always simulate this by directly manipulating the Damage Modifier field.
I know about reach of course but I tried explaining before that I can't see it anywhere in the HL profile. When I mouseover the attack in armory it is not there, and it's also not visible in weapons.

It IS visible in the general monster profile (under basics) but not per individual attack (and I've encountered a handful of monsters that have attacks with varying reaches). But if this is by design I will just leave the attacks as they are now.
FreakFire74 is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old August 6th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post

There is a problem with adding both Spellcasting and Innate Spellcasting to the same creature if they have different casting attributes and I would suggest skipping those and letting someone with more experience doing them.

Just for future reference: The Deathlock monster has both Innate spells and spellcasting ability. I will leave the monster for now.
FreakFire74 is offline   #59 Reply With Quote