Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

lymang

Old January 6th, 2017, 06:20 AM
OK, so I've opened the editor up, and I can see the Race: Race, Anim Comp tab. I'd like to make Nightmare available as an animal companion (don't ask, it's a long story). When I go to make a "new(copy)" I cannot find Nightmare on the list of things to copy from.

I'd appreciate any input on how to proceed, or what I'm missing (pretty sure I am missing something!). I don't want to have a nightmare just as a mount, or as a hireling, I need it as a companion, to work with the barbarian "mounted fury" archetype (or for a druid, I suppose, if I ever wanted a druid mounted on a nightmare). Yes I know Nightmare is intelligent and evil but suffice it to say thats not exactly the situation in our campaign.

Thanks,

Lyman Green
lymang is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
lymang

Old January 6th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Hm well. To answer my own question, I ended up copying a horse and then going into the regular "Race" tab and opening a copy of Nightmare there, and then comparing and setting the same abilities on the copy of horse in animal companions. It appears to have worked, but I couldn't tell in some cases what some things did. I am not sure how to determine on the horse animal companion (that I am modifying to nightmare) what is horse and what is coming from it being an animal companion. So I'm still working on this. Would still appreciate any tips.
lymang is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 6th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymang View Post
Would still appreciate any tips.
With what? That is VERY general question meaning I don't think you will get allot of help.

In very general terms a Nightmare is not an Animal Companion. A animal is not even an Animal Companion. These are all three very unique Things in HL and the rules of Pathfinder. Meaning you will need to build the Nightmare Animal Companion from the ground up. Working with your DM you will need to figure out all sorts of rules for this creature like what abilities it gets and when it increases size or changes to ability scores.

If you have specific questions we are happy to help but not sure what your question is. It sounds like you have a good start on things and using the Horse as a starting point is a good plan.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Roadie

Old January 6th, 2017, 10:31 AM
lymang, you might be better off in the short term by building the animal companion as a horse, and using ShadowChemosh's adjustments package to adjust stats, add special ability placeholders, etc for whatever stat differences your GM has approved.
Roadie is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
lymang

Old January 6th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
With what? That is VERY general question meaning I don't think you will get allot of help.

In very general terms a Nightmare is not an Animal Companion. A animal is not even an Animal Companion. These are all three very unique Things in HL and the rules of Pathfinder. Meaning you will need to build the Nightmare Animal Companion from the ground up. Working with your DM you will need to figure out all sorts of rules for this creature like what abilities it gets and when it increases size or changes to ability scores.

If you have specific questions we are happy to help but not sure what your question is. It sounds like you have a good start on things and using the Horse as a starting point is a good plan.
actually you kind of helped just there, in fact, by noting the differentiation of the even animals from animal companions. Very interesting and revealing. I work with my DM
lymang is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old January 6th, 2017, 11:53 AM
This may be of help or not. The feat Companion Figurine allows you to choose the Obsidian Steed figurine as an animal companion. That is just another name for the Nightmare.
Dwayne is offline   #6 Reply With Quote