Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

dafrca

Old November 5th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSN View Post
As to "no digital tools at the game table" arguments, I find this quite funny related to Hero Lab. In many cases Hero Lab
does not mean "digital tools at the game table", it just means "printed sheet vs. handwritten sheet". I have used printed
sheets for many many years and do not want to go back to handwritten sheets.
This is close to where I am at. I made my own Character Sheet for AD&D (aka 1st ed) on my old Apple and filled it in/updated it between games and printed it out. By the third game night all the others had either came to my house to use my sheet or made their own on their computers.

I am all for asking players to "pay attention". Heck I have had them zone out reading something in the players handbook etc even. Limits on helpful tech will not stop a player from zoning if they are going to do so.

Just a side thought here.
dafrca is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old November 5th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
I am all for asking players to "pay attention". Heck I have had them zone out reading something in the players handbook etc even. Limits on helpful tech will not stop a player from zoning if they are going to do so.

Just a side thought here.
Well, zoning is not the issue. I never do stuff like browsing in the PHB or phone or stuff like that.

The issue is sometimes when it is your turn you cannot immediately talk as other people are talking currently (about non relevant things, or about their characters bantering with stuff not related to the current action). So if you do not react immediately the game master would skip your turn you would have to interrupt these players which I consider rude). Luckily our gamemasters do not do this "your character does nothing" stuff, so it's not a problem ;-)

MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old November 5th, 2014, 08:43 PM
As a little work-update, here you see my actual current todo-list for Hero Lab for D&D Next. This is no particular order.

EDITED.

1. Implement Multiclass for Oathbreaker. -> DONE.
2. Implement Multiclass for Warlock
3. Bug: Multiclass with primary-class noncaster, secondary-class caster shows spell slots wrong (fix it)
4. Handle spec-specific weapons correctly (fixed for all official specs already, only missing for a houserule, so less important to do)
5. Change Staff of Charming and some other implements to correctly handle all sort of classes (classes which is no Caster) correctly - is the class allowed to equip it? What Attack/DC? -> DONE.
6. Tactical Console - Offer an easier way to set Attacks, possibly?
7. Ogre Gauntlets of Power and similar items - handle the stat change automatic instead having to choose a "free feat"
8. Make Expertise implementation a bit more intuitive -> Currently in Works.
9. Do a Validator for maximum number of spells possibly?
10. Add Stats for Figurine of wondrous power from DMG Previews
11. Check Pact for Warlock Invocations -> DONE.

Everything else is done ;-)

MagicSN

Last edited by MagicSN; November 6th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
MagicSN is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 6th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Coolness dude!!!!
Frodie is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old November 6th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Quote:
The issue is sometimes when it is your turn you cannot immediately talk as other people are talking currently (about non relevant things, or about their characters bantering with stuff not related to the current action). So if you do not react immediately the game master would skip your turn you would have to interrupt these players which I consider rude). Luckily our gamemasters do not do this "your character does nothing" stuff, so it's not a problem ;-)

MagicSN

I would never skip a player because others were being disruptive! That's exactly the opposite of what we're trying to accomplish. I've only said that I skip the player that hasn't been paying attention, doesn't know what's going on, and asks me to reiterate everything just for them.

If you say, "Sorry, it's too loud right now." I will tell everyone else to quiet down or take it into the other room, then go right back to you.

============================================

Back on topic though, from what I've seen you've done an outstanding job MagicSN, and I hope to be able to have access to your work soon! Either as an Authoring Kit package, or an official HeroLab dataset. (Rob and Lisa, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would lay down a stack of cash for this one)

Let's hope WotC/Hasbro allows 3rd party options sometime soon!
lifer4700 is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
Chriswm

Old November 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Quote:
As a little work-update, here you see my actual current todo-list for Hero Lab for D&D Next. This is no particular order.

1. Implement Multiclass for Oathbreaker.
2. Implement Multiclass for Warlock
3. Bug: Multiclass with primary-class noncaster, secondary-class caster shows spell slots wrong (fix it)
4. Handle spec-specific weapons correctly (fixed for all official specs already, only missing for a houserule, so less important to do)
5. Change Staff of Charming and some other implements to correctly handle all sort of classes (classes which is no Caster) correctly - is the class allowed to equip it? What Attack/DC?
6. Tactical Console - Offer an easier way to set Attacks, possibly?
7. Ogre Gauntlets of Power and similar items - handle the stat change automatic instead having to choose a "free feat"
8. Make Expertise implementation a bit more intuitive
9. Do a Validator for maximum number of spells possibly?
10. Add Stats for Figurine of wondrous power from DMG Previews
11. Check Pact for Warlock Invocations

Everything else is done ;-)

MagicSN

I'm a developer - and am happy to test / lend a hand.

(Forgive me if this shows as a double post)
Chriswm is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
Ghaleon

Old November 6th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
As long as you are paying attention to what's going on, and I don't have to repeat everything I just said to the player right before you, especially when I probably had to repeat it to them...

When the scene has been laid out and time has been taken to explain everything, it really goes against the flow for the player to ask for me to explain it all over again just for them, then when they're done with their turn, they go right back to having their head buried into whatever else they were doing so they can ask for a special personal explanation again next time.
I Love this and might have to start using it.
Ghaleon is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old November 9th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Todo-List Update:

1. Warlock Multiclass
2. Offer an alternative way to add weapon attacks in the tactical console, to be able to edit monsters faster
3. Ogre Gauntlet's of Power and similar items still need the user to make an ability adjustment and do not work automatically
4. Add Stats for items like Figurines of Wondrous Power (from the DMG Preview)
5. Implement a validator for the number of chosen spells
6. Some feats appear twice on the PDF, make the double disappear

I also in the meanwhile added the new items from the "Rise of Tiamat" PDF WotC released. I BTW did not add the artifact items, I think most GM's use their own custom "big rewards". So it would be very much typing in for very little usage. They could still be added later, if there is big interest.

But it seems the only real big thing missing now is Warlock Multiclass (which is a non-trivial thing to add, but I will be able to do it ^^). I managed today to finally fix the "multiclass with primary class being a noncaster" thing which was (asides from Multiclass Warlock) the last remaining showstopper bug (I also found a few small bugs recently and fixed them all ;-) Currently I am concentrating a lot on testing, and not on doing new stuff in).

EDIT: Things slowed down a bit. Currently working on finishing the magic items from the DMG Previews and Rise of Tiamat Free Supplement (the stats of the Figurines of wondrous power and of the Elemental Gems - typing up monsters into powers is always a bit of typing work), also I renamed powers from "Daily power" to "Long Rest Power" and "Encounter Power" to "Short Rest Power" as Daily/Encounter power were 4e terms, to make it sound more 5eish. Powers you can do every round (like melee attacks or cantrips) are listed as "Cantrip/AtWill" on the PDF. Probably will look into points 5 and 6 next then.

Anybody got an idea how to let a magic item set an attribute to a new value (it works the same in the 5e code like it did in the 4e datafiles, so if someone has an idea how to implement in the 4e datafiles this would help me... currently the "solution" is that the player has to do a permanent adjustment on the Personal Tab - which is of course a solution which is a bit "hacky".

MagicSN

Last edited by MagicSN; November 10th, 2014 at 09:01 PM.
MagicSN is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old November 13th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Todo-List Update:

- Warlock Multiclass
- Offer alternative Weapon options for Monsters in Tactical Console (2D12 or whatever), maybe
- Ogre Gauntlet's of Power etc. need to manually select an extra feat to get the new strength (which does not use up a feat slot of course)
- Possibly: Implement a validator for max spells
- Other Deities Chooser (currently only Forgotten Realms Deities are shown)
- Update Backgrounds Code to let player select Type of Game/Musical Instrument Proficiency
- Bug: Throwing-Weapons in the "Ranged" Power are wrongly shown as Dex-Weapons.

MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 13th, 2014, 12:48 PM
coolness, thanks again dude
Frodie is offline   #70 Reply With Quote