Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

PetriWessman

Old September 12th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I've been a happy user of the Keep for a few years now, and use it to both plan my games and at the gaming table (via netbook) to take notes and check out my plot notes etc. It works fine, and I have no real problems with it... except, of course, that it is fairly limited and there hasn't been any development on it for ages.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what Realm Works brings to the table, and will probably migrate to it unless there are some showstopper issues. There's a lot that could be done in a GM tool like this, to help make both planning and running games easier.

One important issue is the fact that a lot of people would probably like to use this (at least partially) on a laptop, so they can refer to it while gaming. This means that screen resolution will be a limiting factor -- while my own netbook is on the lower end of the scale at 1024x600 pixels, most netbooks / small laptops don't have all that much more screen estate. That makes for some challenges on the UI front.
PetriWessman is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
morkalg

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I am eagerly awaiting this software. I use the Keep too an love it but as you said there have been no updates on it for awhile. I'm particularly drawn to the story building features in Realmworks.

My only fear is that it will not be "generic" enough. I really don't want a product thats targeted mainly at the DnD crowd with shoe-horned work arounds for other game systems like I find in so many products.

Last edited by morkalg; September 16th, 2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: added content
morkalg is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morkalg View Post
I am eagerly awaiting this software. I use the Keep too an love it but as you said there have been no updates on it for awhile. I'm particularly drawn to the story building features in Realmworks.

My only fear is that it will not be "generic" enough. I really don't want a product thats targeted mainly at the DnD crowd with shoe-horned work arounds for other game systems like I find in so many products.
Hear, hear. They should just rename HeroLab to PathfinderLab. LOL.
Kendall-DM is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Hear, hear. They should just rename HeroLab to PathfinderLab. LOL.
Nah, it's MutantsAndMastermindsLab...

Actually, as I understand it, there are a lot of features that don't get implemented simply because they're doing their best to provide a generic system. C.f. copying powers / minions / etc in M&M.
Duggan is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old September 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Actually, as I understand it, there are a lot of features that don't get implemented simply because they're doing their best to provide a generic system. C.f. copying powers / minions / etc in M&M.
I'm really glad to hear that. My next campaign that I am working up is for All For One (Ubiquity system) and I really wish RW was out already. The other games I have been involved it recently were Savage Worlds and M&M3e so HL has been great. But since most of the games I play and have an interest in as decidedly not D&D/Pathfinder/Etc, another "track the castle" program would be of little interest.

Heck my only beef with HL (and it is more a casual disgruntled whine ) is that I lack the skills/knowledge to create/add the structure needed for Ubiquity. Once the basic structure is there, adding custom content is fairly easy if a bit tedious. With the added bonus that some of the more skilled users out there tend to complete content before I get halfway done , so I can just download theirs.

But I am really veering off subject here. I am just hoping to hear a solid release date sooner than later for RW. I am so tired of tracking everything via a multitude of separate files....
Spence is offline   #15 Reply With Quote