Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Stargrove

Old March 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
On the Magic tab, I can easily create a Custom Scroll or pick from a long list of magic items to purchase. However, I see no place where I can make custom amulets, rings, wands and the like. I figure I could probably create it in the editor, but would probably have to figure out cost and if the item had effects (ie: +1 STR, etc), I really would not know how to do that properly.

I know I can create customized weapons and armor very easily. Is the ability to create custom magic items something that is being looked at? If not, it would certainly be very useful.

James
Stargrove is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 19th, 2010, 08:32 AM
No, unlike scrolls, potions and wands, the item powers in the other categories aren't given rules as to how to design a new item - only guidelines. Unfortunately, we can't enforce guidelines. And when it's only a guideline, we can't predict everything that every user might try to do, so, having looked through those guidelines, I'm not sure how to even cover all the possibilities. Even the armors and weapons are only selecting from a menu of the options that are given in the book - most of the specific weapons and armors are like wondrous items/rings - they have powers that are unique to that item.

This is why we included an editor that's capable of creating all the magic items in the core rulebook (and we hope is flexible enough to handle many more). In the editor, you enter the final design of the item, what you've determined is appropriate for your campaign.

If you want to work with the editor, I'm happy to help you out - just ask. I'd suggest you study existing items to figure out how to make a new one - for example, to create a +1 STR item, you'd look up the Belt of Giant Strength, which adds a STR bonus, and then copy that script as your starting point.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Stargrove

Old March 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I think the +1 STR item was a bad example. I actually wanted to make a Ring of Darkvision in the Pathfinder game I am playing in right now. There are very specific rules for making this kind of ring in the Core Rulebook. I, however, had to make it it by hand in the Herolab editor which took a bit of time to do. I believe it comes out to be 10800 GP for the item; which had to be figured out by hand.

You mentioned scrolls, potions, and wands. There only seem to be a mechanism for making custom scrolls in the main Herolab program. Am I missing something? If there are there, where; and if so, what about rings?

James
Stargrove is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
The custom potions and wands are something I will be adding, but haven't gotten the chance to work on yet.

A ring which is a single spell, continuous use is a very simple example. I didn't say that implementing the guidelines wouldn't be able to cover some cases. The problem with implementing those guidelines is complex items, such as the Ring of Elemental command, or the Ring of Shooting Stars.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote