Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

DMayhew469

Old April 7th, 2018, 10:51 AM
If anyone is interested I have created a functional Hunter archetype for the Ranger class. I have attached the user file.

UPDATE: Ok. I seem to have either missed the "Hunter Abilities" tab or it wasn't working when I started working on this. So for anyone who is interested feel free to us this as an example exercise in scripting.

Sorry for any confusion.
Attached Files
File Type: email Ranger_Hunter_ Archetype.user (13.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by DMayhew469; April 8th, 2018 at 08:50 AM.
DMayhew469 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 7th, 2018, 11:28 AM
It's an interesting way to build the Hunter, is the Lone Wolf SRD version broken in some way that you're trying to address?

I noticed that none of the abilities, class specials or class itself use any identifiers to distinguish your code from the official LW code. You should really set a unique user identifier so that if someone needs to debug it later, they know what is breaking and where.

For instance, your class is cHunteArch the LW version is cRgrHunter - if the community were to make a version we would probably go with c5CRgrHun or cRgr5CHun where the personal ID is 5C, so that if we got an error, we would know to contact the community for help.

*note, don't use 5C as your id, use your initials or something*
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DMayhew469

Old April 8th, 2018, 07:03 AM
The existing Hunter Archetype does not add the Hunter abilities gained at 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level. Let alone let the user choose from the options allowed by those abilities.
DMayhew469 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DMayhew469

Old April 8th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Ok. I addressed the ID issue. I have modified all of them to include the prefix "DM". I also uploaded the modified .user file.

Also, I am curious what you meant by "It's an interesting way to build the Hunter". If you know of a better way to add the special abilities granted by the hunter I would be interested to know what it is.
DMayhew469 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 8th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Well, I think you're mistaken about the current Hunter archetype. The abilities do not show up on the summary window when you choose the archetype, but when you reach the appropriate levels of Ranger with that archetype a tab pops up called "Hunter Abilities" on that tab you choose the Hunter's Prey, the Defensive Tactics, the Multiattack and the Superior Hunter's Defense.

The way that LW did this is created a "configurable" for that tab, and each of those abilities are actually a Custom Ability on the Class tab, rather than a generic ability on the Ability tab.

EDIT:

If you go into the editor on the Custom Ability tab, you can do a New (Copy) of the Hunter archetype from LW - you can see they bootstrapped the following: cfgRgrHunt - If you go to the configurable tab in the editor, you can do a New Copy and supply that ID to see how the configurable is set up. This is a good example of how the "hidden tabs" show up, this same method is used for the Totem Warrior Barbarian subclass.

Last edited by dungeonguru; April 8th, 2018 at 08:26 AM.
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
DMayhew469

Old April 8th, 2018, 08:47 AM
You may be right. I either didn't notice the new tab appear or it wasn't for some reason when I created a Ranger of appropriate levels. It is, however, appearing now. So I guess I can chalk this one up as a scripting learning experience.

Thanks for pointing it out.
DMayhew469 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote