Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Starfinder

Notices

Daniel V
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 5th, 2021, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alientude View Post
Aside from the above factors, Lone Wolf asking for all bug reports to go through their link in HLO takes eyes away from the forums. I'm sure it's a better process for them to be able to track the bugs, but when a company actively discourages its customers from using their forums, it shouldn't be surprising when the forums wither.
Not really trying to discourage, but it is a better process to make sure we get them logged for fixing. Ryan is sometimes able to help with matters before even recording them for us, and is aware if he's already gotten similar reports. Nothing wrong with asking questions here, we just want to be sure they are also officially logged. I'm usually pretty happy to give some feedback if it's something I handle and an odd matter, but oftentimes they're just things we have to look into.
Daniel V is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old May 5th, 2021, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel V View Post
Not really trying to discourage, but it is a better process to make sure we get them logged for fixing. Ryan is sometimes able to help with matters before even recording them for us, and is aware if he's already gotten similar reports. Nothing wrong with asking questions here, we just want to be sure they are also officially logged. I'm usually pretty happy to give some feedback if it's something I handle and an odd matter, but oftentimes they're just things we have to look into.
I've usually found that submitting a bug report and putting in a forum post at the same time, about the same issue, is often helpful (especially if you confirm that you put in the bug report first), as it allows others to engage if they are having the same issue. They sometimes point out additional issues with the same thing that I noticed.

Or I end up putting in a long chain of bugs around a similar issue, because that issue is what I am working on at the moment.
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Tohmaturge

Old May 5th, 2021, 09:46 AM
I salute this attempt at a community resurrection. I've been visiting once or twice a week to see if anything came up. I'm using Herolab at least once a week (with a gaming session every 3 weeks). Eagerly waiting for the addition of the missing adventure paths and the Starship support
Tohmaturge is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
alientude

Old May 5th, 2021, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel V View Post
I totally get that it's a better process, both for Lone Wolf and the user (since the bug report will be tracked through whatever system you use). I don't think that invalidates my impression, but again, this is just my opinion.

Let me see if I can be a little more clear on why I get the feeling Lone Wolf is discouraging people from using these forums:
  • LW staff used to be very active here, but recently, just about the only posts we see from them is the requests to use the in-app bug report feature.
  • There's a lot of posts from paying customers asking for updates to content, updates to features, or even begging for more ways to give LW money. These posts are seemingly ignored.
  • Updates to HLO are no longer posted on the forums.
  • The recent issues with the forums being down. The first time they came back up, LW posted about it. Since then, the forums just kind of silently started working again and there was no acknowledgement of the downtime or anything.

There's probably some other reasons that I can't remember right now. To be clear, I'm not accusing LW of any kind of malfeasance or anything. It just feels to me like these forums are no longer in favor and LW would rather people not use them.

Last edited by alientude; May 5th, 2021 at 10:01 AM.
alientude is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old May 5th, 2021, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alientude View Post
From my point of view, it is discouraging people from using the forums. I could be wrong, just my opinion.
The forum crashing every month probably isn't helping either!
EDIT: Got a Database error just posting this, so I think May's crash isn't far off.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old May 6th, 2021, 12:29 AM
Oh, is the crashing that bad?
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old May 6th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Yes, every two weeks or so it goes down for days at a time, then magically reappears.
flyteach is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old May 6th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
Yes, every two weeks or so it goes down for days at a time, then magically reappears.
:shudders: That is really bad for community building.
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 6th, 2021, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately, I feel like they're at that awkward stage where they've got enough subscribers to overload the servers, but not enough to pay for the necessary upgrades. A number of webcomics used to run into the same problem, and that was kind of why Green Ronin had to shut their servers down.
Duggan is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old May 6th, 2021, 09:24 PM
That would make sense
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #20 Reply With Quote