Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ronaldmb

Old April 15th, 2018, 07:52 PM
Hello,
I have had realm works for awhile and try to use it off and on, as I get the sense that it might be a very awesome program - but I have an obstacle.

Switching from entry to entry lags - even in a new campaign with no data. It takes about 4 to 6 seconds. Yes, 4 to 6 seconds doesn't sound like much.. but when I'm trying to edit multiple pages and double check for my campaign stuff, it adds up.

I read a github(?) post, I think, from a couple years ago that talked about slowness like I am experiencing caused by having an Intel processor. Is this still a thing? Or has it been fixed and my problem is something different.

System is pretty good. 32 GB Memory, 1080 vid card. Processor is a little on the slow side.. Im not certain why Realm Works should feel clunky.

I want to love this program. I *NEED* to, lol. Anyone have experience with an issue like this and have advice?

Thank you for your time.
ronaldmb is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 16th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Everyone has this problem. It is not and has never been a problem with intel processors.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ronaldmb

Old April 16th, 2018, 11:50 AM
On one hand, i'm relieved its not me. On the other hand it sucks for everyone then. Is it something actively being looked into? I like Realm Works and I don't like change - so I'm hoping to avoid having to look at another product.
ronaldmb is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 16th, 2018, 01:15 PM
What are you switching between? 6 seconds is a lot. The slowest thing to transition for me is tabs which I try not to use because there is a visible lag.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ronaldmb

Old April 16th, 2018, 03:43 PM
So, assume I have some entries under "People" and I have an entry open, say "Clarence Lee Talbot" and I wish to switch over to edit "Dustin Hayward". I will click that name on the left side and then have to wait for a "Please Wait....Loading". It is the "please wait...loading" that takes longer than it should. I'd understand if there was a lot to sift through but there isn't.
I have it on a hard drive. I have my OS on an SSD drive.. it has about 10 GB of space left. I wonder if it'll load quicker from that or if it's a database/windows issue im having because of a slow processor...
ronaldmb is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 16th, 2018, 04:10 PM
If your user account data is on the SSD with the OS, then so is your Realm Works database. (This is normally the case.)

I run Realm Works on an i7 and a convertible tablet with an Atom, and they're not all that different. The Atom is slower, of course, but there has long been a delay when switching between Topics/Articles/etc. no matter what hardware is in your system.

Last edited by Parody; April 16th, 2018 at 04:16 PM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ronaldmb

Old April 16th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Well, disappointing then. I'll need to find an alternative program

Thanks!
ronaldmb is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 16th, 2018, 05:42 PM
I never see a "please wait... loading message" even when there is a noticeable delay in loading a new topic.

First you need to verify where your RW db actually is. On what drive is your Windows user account? The SSD or the HDD. You can find the RW db by typing this string into windows explorer "%appdata%\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works"

If your user account is on your HDD and your HDD is particularly slow or fragmented that could be the source of your troubles.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 16th, 2018, 05:43 PM
You guys should record your experience and post is so the Dev's can be aware. I was in a remote session with Rob once who was quite surprised at how my experience differed to his. We need to make them aware so they push the update of 64 bit.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 16th, 2018, 06:30 PM
My experience is up on YT, remember?

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote