Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Looks like Starfinder Beta is coming next week. Guess it was not hidden on Facebook this time. It was a tweet.
Perhaps if you had looked here... http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....0&postcount=63
BJ is offline   #161 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
I expected you to say that. I am very sorry but the post on the forums and the one on tweeter are NOT the same. The tweet gives specific information that everyone wanted to know.

The forum post is a general message saying "something" is going to be said. They do NOT mean the same thing. I understand that you think they do and I understand you want to blame "me" for misunderstanding again.

At this point its VERY clear you and I do not see eye to eye at all. We speak different languages and have very different views of the world.

I do apologize for my little dig about Facebook. I won't ever bring that up again.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #162 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old October 2nd, 2017, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfyre View Post
Given that this was based on a $2 a month extortion fee, which was a "suggested / maybe / kinda / we don't really know yet" amount I believe and not an actual, hard, we know what were doing number I think your comparison is far too optimistic myself.
I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the word extortion because you are using the word incorrectly in this context.

Quote:
The new system is over time going to be absurdly expensive between buying data packs and the extortion fee, plus a conversion fee and the first time you miss a payment every single penny of that expense is wasted unless you agree to start paying the extortion fee again.

That's all based on $2 a month. The $2 a month is going to be the introductory rate and as soon as enough people are invested far enough it will go up. The extortion fee always goes up. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in neverland.
Perhaps the problem is your game system. After 25 years and several thousands of dollars(I am not complaining, just stating fact), I gave up the d20 model, not because of the increadibly expensive "need"(not a need) to constantly buy new books, but for half a dozen more other reasons. Though to be sure, the expense is at least a small factor in the decision, just not anywhere near the primary decision.

And just to be clear, I not only purchased books, but also had a DDI subscription for 6 years until a life event caused me to let it lapse(no gaming of any sort during this time frame, so there was no reason to keep the subscription).
jfrazierjr is offline   #163 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
I don't "tweet".
I agree with Shadow here. I saw that post (which tells me nothing about a release date) and to this point believe I still haven't seen a proper announcement from Lone Wolf (in either these forums or by newsletter) about what is happening with Starfinder. I have no complaints about HLO, HLC or Starfinder, but LW seems rather slow/lax in regards to providing updates/details recently.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #164 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I expected you to say that. I am very sorry but the post on the forums and the one on tweeter are NOT the same. The tweet gives specific information that everyone wanted to know.

The forum post is a general message saying "something" is going to be said. They do NOT mean the same thing. I understand that you think they do and I understand you want to blame "me" for misunderstanding again.

At this point its VERY clear you and I do not see eye to eye at all. We speak different languages and have very different views of the world.

I do apologize for my little dig about Facebook. I won't ever bring that up again.
I'm with ShadowChemosh. The two posts do not mean the same thing.

I'll remind you that not everyone uses FaceBook or Twitter. This forum is advertised as you official web presence. News should get posted here as well as on those other platforms.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #165 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'll remind you that not everyone uses FaceBook or Twitter. This forum is advertised as you official web presence. News should get posted here as well as on those other platforms.
As one that is unlikely to use Starfinder, although I did give it a look at Gencon, I agree with Shadow and kbs666... Since I AM in fact one of those users that DOES NOT use facebook, tweet, nor any of the other "presumed social media" for a multitude of reasons I won't list here.

BUT, I am a LWD products user and this forum, as presented by LWD, is their web presence as well as their news letter that I also subscribe to. It would be my expectation as a customer that LWD would utilize those "prefered" media outlets that they delegated inclusively, not subjectively, or inconsistently.
And I would think the order of precedence (if one was needed) would be:
Website News - http://www.wolflair.com/news/
Forum- http://forums.wolflair.com/
Newsletter- http://www.wolflair.com/news/newsletter/
Socialmedia- whatever is applicable
Snailmail?- Presumably USPS
Public Events- Various Conventions, Public Meets.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #166 Reply With Quote
CaptCalamitous

Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
As one that is unlikely to use Starfinder, although I did give it a look at Gencon, I agree with Shadow and kbs666... Since I AM in fact one of those users that DOES NOT use facebook, tweet, nor any of the other "presumed social media" for a multitude of reasons I won't list here.

BUT, I am a LWD products user and this forum, as presented by LWD, is their web presence as well as their news letter that I also subscribe to. It would be my expectation as a customer that LWD would utilize those "prefered" media outlets that they delegated inclusively, not subjectively, or inconsistently.
And I would think the order of precedence (if one was needed) would be:
Website News - http://www.wolflair.com/news/
Forum- http://forums.wolflair.com/
Newsletter- http://www.wolflair.com/news/newsletter/
Socialmedia- whatever is applicable
Snailmail?- Presumably USPS
Public Events- Various Conventions, Public Meets.
I agree with the sentiments above.

I am a user of multiple social media outlets, however I have preferred means of information gathering as it's totally possible to miss updates in social media because the SNR is so bad.

Here is where I come to get updates on HL and AB, I do not look out for LWD updates anywhere else so they would be very hit and miss without a properly organised campaign.
CaptCalamitous is offline   #167 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old October 4th, 2017, 02:44 AM
Trying to get back on track, hopefully we shall see some updates here soon

Last edited by talsharien; October 4th, 2017 at 02:51 AM.
talsharien is offline   #168 Reply With Quote
Winterfyre

Old October 5th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the word extortion because you are using the word incorrectly in this context.
Nope, I looked it up again.

"the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."

If you don't pay the extortion fee, you lose access to your stuff in any real usable format. You lose access to all of the data packages you've bought and paid for.

Loss of access and the money you've sunk into data packages is the threat.

I do not like the lose everything part of the arrangement. If I pay for the starfinder data package I should always be able to make a simple character / ships and update them as they level using the data packs I've bought without paying an extortion fee. If they want to charge extra for advanced features to make gameplay easier over and above character creation / leveling, god bless, that's fair.
Winterfyre is offline   #169 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old October 5th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Nope, I looked it up again.

"the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."
They are not forcing you or threatening you. You are choosing to sign up and choosing to stop. There are no threats involved.
Toblakai is offline   #170 Reply With Quote