Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

NoOneofConsequence

Old July 4th, 2020, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCArknight View Post
Try this. Unzip it somewhere. The HL file also happens to be 305kb....
I appreciate your patience. I must be doing something completely wrong. This is the same file I've attempted to install multiple times, but no matter what I do, there are no new elements in Hero Lab, neither in the character configuration menu nor in the editor.

Is there somewhere else the data is supposed to show up?
NoOneofConsequence is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old July 4th, 2020, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneofConsequence View Post
I appreciate your patience. I must be doing something completely wrong. This is the same file I've attempted to install multiple times, but no matter what I do, there are no new elements in Hero Lab, neither in the character configuration menu nor in the editor.

Is there somewhere else the data is supposed to show up?
When you unzip the file, double click on it.

At that point, it should open the import window to let you select where you want to install the files... (by default, should be to your /savage folder)

Does that help?

Working on -
  • (SWADE) WIP Savage Rifts
  • Savage Rifts (Deluxe): Update link in This post
  • Star Trek Adventures: Update link in This post
TCArknight is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
NoOneofConsequence

Old July 4th, 2020, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCArknight View Post
When you unzip the file, double click on it.

At that point, it should open the import window to let you select where you want to install the files... (by default, should be to your /savage folder)

Does that help?
I've done that many times; the import takes less than a second and nothing appears to change - when I load the savage worlds ruleset there are four error messages, that all say "Component set requires designation of thing as unique" That's the only apparent impact of installing this file.
NoOneofConsequence is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old July 4th, 2020, 02:30 PM
Aha! If HL runs into errors like that it won't load ANY data files. Do you have other data files loaded as well? Also there should be more details in the message than just that, such as what the ID is of the thing that needs to be unique.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
NoOneofConsequence

Old July 4th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Aha! If HL runs into errors like that it won't load ANY data files. Do you have other data files loaded as well? Also there should be more details in the message than just that, such as what the ID is of the thing that needs to be unique.
The four things listed are

'arcSRDGPSY'
'arcSRGPCMMG'
'arcSRDSLNG'
'arcSRSHFR'

Each of those has exactly the same message as being "Component set requires designation of thing as unique"
NoOneofConsequence is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old July 4th, 2020, 07:09 PM
I just went into the files and changed them....
jbearwillis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
NoOneofConsequence

Old July 4th, 2020, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearwillis View Post
I just went into the files and changed them....
I don't understand.

Please forgive my ignorance - I know nothing about coding, I just GM Savage Worlds.
NoOneofConsequence is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old July 5th, 2020, 04:21 AM
I think jbear was saying that he went into some of the files and changed those specific things. Perhaps they were things in some files jbear created that are a conflict with these Savage Rifts files. The main question is do you have any other data files besides Savage Rifts loaded? If so there is likely a conflict someplace. To be more specific the problem here is that you have different data files on your system that reference things with the names you listed. In other words you have 2 different data files that that "arcSRDGPSY" listed in both of them and HL doesn't know how to handle that since that is what is called a "Unique ID" meaning that there should only ever be 1 of them... and you have 2.

By the general naming convention most authors use the first part of the name "arc" would suggest that those are Arcane Bacgrounds. The next 2 character is usually the setting name. Obviously one of those settings the SR stands for "Savage Rifts". Do you have another setting on your system that SR might be initials for? Like, I don't know, "Space Rangers" or something that might make sense?

If so then you would probably need to ask the authors of both of those data files to see if they could work out some unique identifiers between them to ensure there are no conflicts like that.

This kind of situation is why it is very important to note if you are getting any errors to say exactly what those errors are so folks can figure out exactly what the problem might be.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
NoOneofConsequence

Old July 5th, 2020, 07:22 AM
The only unofficial file I've got installed is Rifts.

I have the full suite of the Savage Worlds expansions (Super Powers Companion, Horror Companion, Fantasy Companion, & Science Fiction Companion) and the dataset for the Adventure Edition, but that's it. No other datasets of any kind
NoOneofConsequence is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old July 5th, 2020, 08:12 AM
Then it might be a conflict with the multiple times trying to get it installed. You'll likely need to go in and remove the files that are there and try to install it again just once. Otherwise TCArknight would have to be the one to try to help, I think. I'm on the wrong computer (where HL isn't installed) so I can't double check the directory and files you would need to delete right now but if I get a chance later I'll try to give some more detailed instructions. Just be sure to run HL after removing the files to ensure you definitely are not getting any error first and then try to run the .hl file again after that.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #20 Reply With Quote