Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Venger

Old June 2nd, 2020, 08:51 AM
Hello
I just wanted to point out that RpTool's Maptool vtt can import HL data and automatically creates tokens loaded with HL data!

Its simple.
FILE> Add Resource to Library
Browse to where you keep your .por files and install it

In the Resource Library choose your .por and below, in the token window, you will see your character's tokens

Drag the tokens you want into maptool!

Please note that the token's HL data properties extracted from HL is current only for that session, but you can save the maptool campaign, update your character in HL, save the .por, and then load the campaign, open the token editor and refresh the data

Sweetness!

for more...
see Maptool page

I post here becuae there is little info on how to do this and may be helpful to other users

Last edited by Venger; June 2nd, 2020 at 09:05 AM.
Venger is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Meatpuppet

Old June 2nd, 2020, 02:40 PM
Thanks

I'm looking at VTTs now and Maptools seems very cool.
Meatpuppet is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 2nd, 2020, 02:56 PM
As a side note, Hero Lab Portfolios are ZIP files and the XML files inside of them are usually pretty comprehensive, and easy to parse for your own purposes. I've done it a few times for creating better character sheets.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old June 2nd, 2020, 06:07 PM
FWIW MapTool can auto create tokens using artwork from the portfolio and bring in the three statblocks. This can all be refreshed via the ui or via macros.

From there it is up the the user/framework to do what they wish with the data.

And yes, although not 100% complete the xml data is far more useful than the statblock and there are built in xpath functions in MT that make it easier.

You can view my PF1 framework for examples of what is possible.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release

Last edited by Jamz; June 11th, 2020 at 09:18 AM.
Jamz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old June 9th, 2020, 03:25 AM
Quote:
FWIW MapTool can auto create tokens using artwork from the portfolio and bring in the three statblocks. This can all be refreshed via the ui or via macros.

From there it is up the the user/framework to do what they wish with the data.

And yes, although not 100% complete the xml data is far more useful than the statblock and there are built in xpath too make it easier.

You can view my PF1 framework for examples what is possible.
Hello Jamz
Thank you for pointing this out. Im currently setting up to play 5e, and learning Melek's framework, and using bobfile tokens

If I get what you are saying, maptool can parse the .por files and bring in data into token properties to be manipulated by the framework?

If that's so, is there a 5e framework that does this?
Sadly, my macro skills are minimal.
Venger is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old June 9th, 2020, 03:27 AM
Quote:
As a side note, Hero Lab Portfolios are ZIP files and the XML files inside of them are usually pretty comprehensive, and easy to parse for your own purposes. I've done it a few times for creating better character sheets.
Thats good to know, I will look at this, thanks
Venger is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old June 9th, 2020, 03:32 AM
Wow, extracting .por data with winrar, able to do it in several formats is awesome. Thanks for the info!
Venger is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 9th, 2020, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
Wow, extracting .por data with winrar, able to do it in several formats is awesome. Thanks for the info!
Yeah, I built myself a few Python tools, at one point, to make improved BBCode exports of Mutants and Masterminds portfolios, and also used it at one point to help someone take a massive portfolio of DC Adventures builds from Green Ronin and quickly sort out who had a given bonus in an area, allowing you to rank them for how strong they were, how good they were at Technology, etc. It's a very powerful tool, although minorly limited by what Lone Wolf exports in the file (you have to actually specify the format when you build the system). I haven't gone back to my outstanding bugs for a while, but there were some missing fields at one point, frustratingly ones that were exported in the official character sheets.
Duggan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old June 11th, 2020, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
Hello Jamz
Thank you for pointing this out. Im currently setting up to play 5e, and learning Melek's framework, and using bobfile tokens

If I get what you are saying, maptool can parse the .por files and bring in data into token properties to be manipulated by the framework?

If that's so, is there a 5e framework that does this?
Sadly, my macro skills are minimal.
Not that I'm aware of? Those frameworks would need to create an importer to bring in the data and match it up with the property names that they use in that framework. AFAIK you have to recreate your characters in that framework but I could be wrong (I only play Pathfinder so haven't played with those frameworks)

As Duggan said, it's just a zip file and that's basically what MT is doing. It uzips the .por file and creates a MT Token embedded with the images and 3 statblocks that are in the .por file for each character, as well as create a link back to that file so you can just hit refresh to get the latest statblocks/images.

If you drag you token to MT you will see a Hero Lab tab with that info.

I suggest joining the MapTool Discord server and hit Melek up and see if he's willing to do this. He may need sample .por files as well...

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old June 24th, 2020, 02:43 AM
Quote:
I suggest joining the MapTool Discord server and hit Melek up and see if he's willing to do this. He may need sample .por files as well...
Yes sir, I joined recently. Theres currently none, and I find it difficult to ask someone to do that scope of work needed to write an importer. Many lines of code.
I find Meleks fw very easy to configure tokens though
Im loving the integration and advances in Maptool and Hero Lab
Thanks for replies Jamz

Last edited by Venger; June 24th, 2020 at 02:45 AM.
Venger is offline   #10 Reply With Quote