Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Irondrake

Old May 29th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Ok it looks like the Witch Hunter was replaced by the Blood Hunter when it was submitted to the DM's Guild. I started entering the class into Hero Lab and ran into trouble on the second skill that's granted, "Crimson Rite".

This skill is complex and I have no idea how to proceed on creating it properly. The first thing it allows is for you to pick a Primal Rite (elemental damage type) at level 1, 6, and 11. It also allows you to pick an Esoteric Rite (other damage types) at level 14. There are three Primal Rites and three Esoteric Rites to choose from.

Then when one of these are activated in play it reduces your maximum hit points by your level (until a certain level, another ability changes this later on I think). Activation adds the elemental damage type to your weapon attacks. This damage amount changes as you level. At level 1 it starts as 1d4.

For example, if the character has chosen the Rite of the Flame then activated it, their weapon attacks would add the normal damage plus 1d4 fire damage.

So the question is HOW can I make all this work in Hero Lab? I've added subclasses and worked on the Bladesinger early on but this seems like a beast compared to that.
Irondrake is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 29th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Start by getting the over arching class picks entered. Then we can try asking some of the more experienced scripters for help with the code.
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Irondrake

Old May 29th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Alright, I've started entering in the text and setting up the abilities.
Irondrake is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Irondrake

Old May 31st, 2016, 05:54 AM
Small problem, well...one of many, but I noticed Hero Lab will let you set up 5 class ability selections. Only three are working. For the Blood Hunter, I've found I need to use all 5 because there are so many selections required for the class. Right now I have Fighting Style, Blood Hunter Order, and Blood Curses that are working. The ones not working the 4th and 5th, Primal Rites and Esoteric Rites. Is there a way to get the 4th and 5th Class Ability picks to work?
Irondrake is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 31st, 2016, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondrake View Post
Small problem, well...one of many, but I noticed Hero Lab will let you set up 5 class ability selections. Only three are working. For the Blood Hunter, I've found I need to use all 5 because there are so many selections required for the class. Right now I have Fighting Style, Blood Hunter Order, and Blood Curses that are working. The ones not working the 4th and 5th, Primal Rites and Esoteric Rites. Is there a way to get the 4th and 5th Class Ability picks to work?
5e may have no UI logic to display that many tables. LW could have assumed they would never be needed. Or this is a bug. The best place to ask would be to put in an official bug report and see what LW says.

These Custom abilities you are adding are they a huge list of that will be added to all the time (ie new books will add new options)? You said before Primal Rite (elemental damage type) which is pre-set the elemental types. You wont be adding new elemental types in the future will you? And if more are added wouldn't they be added as a CORE feature of 5e? Meaning why not already use the Elemental Selection Helpers the community added instead?

Esoteric Rite (other damage types). Damage types are already inputted into 5e already. Wouldn't allowing a choice of all ready existing damage type be better then re-entering each and every damage type twice? Unless Damage Type in this class means something different than what is in 5e HL?

I would recommend your abilities use Custom Expressions to allow these choices then setting up Custom Abilities. This way you setup "Primal Rite" ability one time in the editor and you just bootstrap it 3 times to the class at levels 1, 6, and 11 allowing each level to pick a different elemental type.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Irondrake

Old May 31st, 2016, 07:31 PM
Primal Rite and Esoteric Rite do not change the weapon damage type, it changes the type of damage for the Crimson Rite die which is added to weapon damage. That's a whole OTHER problem though. I do think Custom Expressions and setting up one ability for Primal Rite and one for Esoteric Rite would be the way to go. I'm not very familiar with custom expressions though. Do you know if there is an example of this in the 5E data files I can check out?

There are three Primal Rites and three Esoteric Rites. A sub-class option adds in another Esoteric Rite type as well. We aren't adding any elemental types or damage types, they are all the preset 5E types. Each Rite has a name and when selected, the Crimson Rite becomes that damage type. The Rite would be selected when invoking the Crimson Rite.

Last edited by Irondrake; May 31st, 2016 at 07:33 PM.
Irondrake is offline   #6 Reply With Quote