Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

JeffK88

Old October 16th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Looking possibly to try out hero lab, but was curious if there were any extensive details on the scripting language, or any good tutorials/walk throughs?

Also...
To get everything related to pathfinder seems a bit expensive, are there "package" deals?
JeffK88 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Yes look at the store, many of the books deals are packages.

How ever if you think HL is expensive, pleae visit Paizo store and add every book your buying to their shopping cart. You will find, even if you buy the PDF and the book in HL its cheaper then the cost of the lone paper based book.

The cost of entry is steep, only because Paizo has been cranking out content for years and your looking at buyingit all at once. Remember part of the cost of each book content causes a licence fee ot be paid to Paizo, its not all cashie money to Lone Wolf.

As a recent tester, that turned near complete owner (all but recent pack #4), I can attest that despite the seemingly high cost of entry, it was worth every penny. My only regret was not "discovering" HL before I had so much invested in paper based books.
Exmortis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old October 19th, 2012, 01:23 PM
There are also some tutorials on youtube that talk about the scripting language, we have a wiki (although that is more for making whole new game systems), and you can download the test version and mess about in the editor. We also have lots of questions answered here on the forums, if you do a search.
Aaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CSDeeds

Old October 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Saying that Hero Lab is cheaper than buying the Paizo PDFs is a bit misleading. After all you get nothing but the mechanical crunch with Hero Lab where you get all of the fluff and explanations of the crunch with Paizo's PDFs.

Now that's not to say it isn't worth buying the files Hero Lab offers because I've found them to be an immensely helpful resource. As a DM Hero Lab has made making many different and varied NPCs incredibly easy and I highly recommend it.

There are several sets that make buying cheaper or if you don't have the cash all at once you can still buy bits at a time. I tend to buy one file a month or so which makes it manageable.
CSDeeds is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old October 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Exmortis didn't say that HL is cheaper than the PDFs. He said that the PDFs + the HL data < hardcopy books.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
poizen37

Old October 20th, 2012, 07:16 AM
You're both right. Exmortis didn't explicitly say it, but it wouldn't be the first time someone reads through quickly and gets the impression they can skirt buying Paizo product and then getting uppity when the hero lab package can't replace their books.

So to clarify:

Paizo books = awesome
Paizo books + Hero Lab = awesome x 2
Hero Lab - Paizo books = No game sad panda
poizen37 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM
You could get away with out the Paizo books with Hero Lab, but I wouldnt recommend it. All the information or mechanics are there, and you can do it. However you would lack the underlying info on why its all there, and works the way it does.

I assume most DMs would have issue with players who did not have all the rules and info for their characters, I know my group does. At least one person must own the legit HC of a book or legit PDF. Of course I think we all own every PDF rule book each, and now four of us own the entire HL suite as well, so it is less of an issue these days.

Purchasable electronic copies of books is something I dreamed about for a very long time, and now with HL and Paizo I am happy panda.
Exmortis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote