Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Quiche Lisp

Old December 30th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I use Hero Lab as a player around the table, and plan to use it as a GM.

One of the other players bought HL too, after I showed him what it can do, and he now uses it for his GMing as well. He has no intention of ever going back. A third player will most certainly buy HL when it'll be available for the iPad.
Quiche Lisp is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Thazar

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
We have a group of 7 and we all have our own copy of the software. Not everyone has all the add on content as they just buy what they need... and some of them create their own items/spells/etc as needed. Each player has a mini-netbook for their character and it works great.

The DM uses a full PC with two monitors. One that he can see and one that is hooked up to the LCD hanging on the wall. The DM keeps the DM stuff on the small screen and he throws pictures and what not up on the large TV for the group as needed. (We also use D20 Pro.)
Thazar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old January 11th, 2013, 06:50 PM
After using various Excel spreadsheets, PcGen, and even good-ole pencil & paper, I eventually found HeroLab.

I downloaded the demo, and within 30 minutes of trying to break it, I bought it.

At first it was just to make characters. PcGen is free, but it's easy to break and confuse. Change your race at 10th level? Good luck.

Eventually I discovered the In-Play, Adjust, and Condition tabs, and I haven't looked back since. Just a few clicks, and all my bonuses from cleric buffs, power attack, paladin auras, shared favored enemies, all right there. All accounted for.

What? The GM decided that we all suck when we're in town, and he's giving us all 2 more skill points per level?!? No problem.

Love love love love HL.

I'm just about to start a custom, high-power, gestalt campaign with my group, and I've started creating custom Archetypes using the editor to help make the character creation process easy.
lifer4700 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Yep, 2 players use it at the table and find the in play adjustments and conditions invaluable. I as GM run it on my Android (via remote desktop) for complicated npc's, as the laptop has map tool running. When i play i run it on my tablet as well, so much better than a laptop, doesn't get in the way and no cords.

Also have access to it at work via rdp

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Most of my players would be lost without it.... those that don't have the tool, use a pdf either on their computer or as a print out from my version of hero lab for their character.

Plus I also show the tool on a second screen so that players can see it during play if they need to refer to things, but as that screen also shows d20 pro and realm works at the moment if can be a little busy but fun.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old January 17th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite58 View Post
We've just started playing Pathfinder, and we used HL form the start to create and print character sheets. Several players wanted their own HL licenses so they could maintain their own characters, so now we have three out of seven players with HL, plus me the GM. It has occurred to me that it wouldn't cost that much to get HL for the other four players, and then we can use it in-game, so they can record changes in state, barbarian rage, damage etc.

How many of you do this? Is it worth the money and effort? HL has quite modest system requirements, so I'm sure we can scavenge enough laptops to do the job.

Thanks
So long as you and each player remain in lockstep with add-on data files, it should work just fine. I bought all of my players copies of Hero Lab, and it ended up being a waste of money and/or a restriction of my use of other books because they didn't go and buy, for instance, Ultimate Equipment.
Unseelie is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Theocrat

Send a message via Skype™ to Theocrat

Old January 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I've been playing D&D since 1978. Misc and various other game systems too. But once 3e came out, there was no way you could make a character without eTools or something along the lines of it with all the sourcebooks, magazines and class adjustments.
I've been on the HL chain gang for a long time and everybody I know knows I have totally forgotten how to make a character without HL. I have all the PF data sets, the majority of the SR4e and the d20 set. Expensive, but very worthwhile.
I even modify the npc's for the campaign with HL - working on Carrion Crown book 4 baddies. giving them some levels of fighter and more rogue.

Theocrat Issak
Las Vegas Lodge Gaming Agent
PFSTheocrat@gmail.com
Theocrat is offline   #17 Reply With Quote