Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Illyahr

Old March 4th, 2017, 08:36 PM
According to the Epic Level Handbook, you just need to add levels. The only change is that BAB and Saves are adjusted. Reduce the BAB and saves by whatever the post-20 levels give you, then add +1 to attack rolls for each odd level and +1 to saves for each even level

The only time it gets more complicated is if you have more levels in a class than it normally has (like 21 levels in Fighter, etc.).
Illyahr is offline   #721 Reply With Quote
Nokowi

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Epic Levels replace the normal attack progression and save progression with the epic level "bonus" values. This prevents fighters from getting more than +10 more to-hit than wizards, prevents a "good" save from being more than 6 better than a "poor" save, and limits you to the number of attacks you had by level 20. (Everyone scales the same past 20 to prevent imbalances from getting even bigger and eventually scaling way past a D20, where one player always hits where one player always misses)

You still take levels in classes and gain those abilities, along with an epic feat every 3 levels.

This means manually updating everything you would get from class levels past 20, including sneak attack damage, monk levels for fast movement, AC, unarmed damage.

It means manually coding in my Kensai abilities and applying them to unarmed attacks.

It means manually coding in the Perfected One abilities, additional HP's, skill points, epic feats, etc.

What you can not do in Hero Lab is continue to add character levels past 20, because it won't work correctly. Hero Labs continues to add to base attack bonus, instead of using the epic "bonus" values, eventually giving every character 4 attacks. By the time you get to 35+ character levels, Hero Lab can not even display the character levels correctly. My guess is someone set an array of size 30 or so and levels beyond this cause display issues. The only good choice is to stop at level 20, and script in everything you would get from additional character levels.

I have done everything (and more) above, but I want to know if there is a way to add an extra choice of special ability (think rogue 10,13,16,19) through scripting rather than through updating the class and obtaining levels in the class, which can't happen past level 20 in hero lab. If your 21st character level was your 19th level of rogue, you would not be able to (correctly) add a rogue level at character level 21 to get the fourth special ability because hero lab is not designed to handle past level 20.

In my case, I take level 4 of my custom prestige class at character level 20. The custom abilities should be given out at prestige class 1,4,7,10. I could re-code my prestige class to get 3 custom abilities at level 4, which would work for my level 41 character for which I am scripting in level 5 through 10 of the prestige class (giving them the 2 extra 7,10 custom abilities at character level 20), but would be wrong for anyone else that took that prestige class.

cFstSpec1, cFstSpec2, cFstSpec3, cFstSpec4 are my four class specials at prestige class level 1,4,7, and 10 that correctly give a choice of 8 custom abilities.

Basically, I just want a script to say add: cFstSpec3 and cFstSpec4, which would give the player the option to select 2 more custom abilities for my prestige class through scripting, without ruining the way the prestige class works for anyone else taking it.

If my custom names are confusing, a script or approach to add cRogSpec1 (Rogue Special Ability at Rogue Level 10) without taking the rogue class levels to get cRogSpec1 would give me the answer I am looking for. The special ability can not be linked to taking a level in a class, it needs to be added through a script.

Last edited by Nokowi; March 5th, 2017 at 09:25 PM.
Nokowi is offline   #722 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:44 AM
I know how it works. Just add the levels, reduce your BAB, add a miscellaneous attack bonus, then adjust saves to the new amount. You don't need any extra scripting.
Illyahr is offline   #723 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:51 AM
A) Epic Level support is on the to-do list for both the core set and community set. I understand your frustrations, but unfortunately it just hasn't made it into the system yet.

B) You cannot use a script to add a special. To add a special, you have to bootstrap it to something that is being added to the character (ie a class level, feat, or adjustment).

In this case, you are probably doing the right thing in creating your own PrC's that add to the existing classes. At least until full epic support is provided.
Sendric is offline   #724 Reply With Quote
Nokowi

Old March 6th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyahr View Post
I know how it works. Just add the levels, reduce your BAB, add a miscellaneous attack bonus, then adjust saves to the new amount. You don't need any extra scripting.
Sorry for the long post, then.

I can do this, but around level 30 the system went haywire, posting level 23 two times, level 27 two times, not showing level 30, etc.

That is why I was looking for a scripting option. I can make 41 levels work through scripting, although not as efficiently as I wanted without a scripting option for specials.

Here is an example of Hero Lab not being able to handle 3 base classes plus 4 prestige classes:
file:///C:/Users/Nokowi/Pictures/HeroLabsError.png

Things get buggy past level 20.

Last edited by Nokowi; March 6th, 2017 at 12:06 PM.
Nokowi is offline   #725 Reply With Quote
Nokowi

Old March 6th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
B) You cannot use a script to add a special. To add a special, you have to bootstrap it to something that is being added to the character (ie a class level, feat, or adjustment).
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
Nokowi is offline   #726 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old March 7th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
If you are getting errors from Arms and Equipment it means you haven't updated in a long time because that file was removed a couple years ago. Your best bet is to remove the current user content (be sure to save anything that is home-grown or otherwise not from the community set) and download the latest release again.
Sorry this took so long been a mess lately. But yes it is saying the duplication errors are coming from AaEG. But the laptop was factory reset and HL was redownloaded just a few months ago.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...&ref=bookmarks

Bloodwolf is offline   #727 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old March 7th, 2017, 02:07 PM
And HL version is V8.0c and d20 Community Set(v1.19)
Bloodwolf is offline   #728 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 8th, 2017, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwolf View Post
Sorry this took so long been a mess lately. But yes it is saying the duplication errors are coming from AaEG. But the laptop was factory reset and HL was redownloaded just a few months ago.

Those links appear to be broken. Can you right-click on the error message, copy the message and paste it here?
Sendric is offline   #729 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old March 8th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Weird it pops right up with the pic for me. Maybe it was the wrong setting. I had it set to friends viewing it. I reset it to public so now they should work. Sorry.
Bloodwolf is offline   #730 Reply With Quote